113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

Quote from: alantani on June 16, 2012, 06:01:17 AM
Quote from: Gman_WC on June 15, 2012, 02:29:04 PM
I'm going to get it a light test run on Salmon with 20# on Sunday to gauge it.
I have a fellow reel repair person fishing with me.
He's dead set against greasing drags. We'll see who has the smooth drag Sunday.  ;)
-g

let us know!   ;D
No update on the Baja as no fish was landed or played with it.
I got grief and a charity fish.

Boy did the wind come up sunday. Took the boy out and we had mixed results.
Fished N buoy area for salmon. Conditions..Lumpy 6-8 every 8. Krill all over the area.
Most of the 12 caught were 15# or better. Big one for the day was 27#, with 3-4 others close
and not many shakers. Came back under the gate about 2:30 with captian Tak at the wheel.
The coast guard passed us and were just going out to play.
-g

Walnut Creek, CA

JasonF

I am having so much fun with my first Senator project that I have come to the conclusion that the 113hn will be bought the day I finish my 115 project.  What else can be done to trick these 113hn's out though?  They come very nicely set up.

redsetta

G'day Jason,
I reckon you're spot on - they come very nicely set up in stock trim.
They're a bit like a Pro Gear in that regard.
An old maroon 113H is likely to be a lot more fun to play with, as per Sal's Tank (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.msg20871#msg20871) - as well as being a daily workhorse.
Endless fun to be had with old Penns eh?! ;) ;D
Good luck with the next project, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

Quote from: JasonF on June 20, 2012, 06:00:43 AM
  What else can be done to trick these 113hn's out though?  They come very nicely set up.

Yes, many of us think they are very nicely set up.  I don't even mind the "old school lack of bling" look.  About the only thing left to improve is a greased HT100 under the main gear.
viurem lliures o morirem

JasonF

I think the old school lack of bling is the factor that appeals most to me.  I already have a few Shimano Trinidads that will do what a 113hn will do, but better.  But I dont always want to fish with modern gear though.  I can picture a 113HN with a brown 7' boat rod.  Sweet!!  Screw it, I am heading to the tackle shop right now to buy one.  No kidding! :)

basto

Quote from: JasonF on June 20, 2012, 08:39:35 PM
I think the old school lack of bling is the factor that appeals most to me.  I already have a few Shimano Trinidads that will do what a 113hn will do, but better.  But I dont always want to fish with modern gear though.  I can picture a 113HN with a brown 7' boat rod.  Sweet!!  Screw it, I am heading to the tackle shop right now to buy one.  No kidding! :)
Interesting statement. I am just wondering what a Trinidad can do better than a 113hn.(both in stock condition)
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

AJ

My wife bought me one at Charkbait (last one they had in San Diego, hope they get more!).  ;D   Noticed there was grease spread in the reel, on side plates, etc. and surprised to see grease under the reel seat and in the screw holes for the reel seat and clamp.  :o  Maybe not to Alan's spec but a nice step in the right direction.  Great reel and I hope to put it to good use.

Makule

QuoteInteresting statement. I am just wondering what a Trinidad can do better than a 113hn.(both in stock condition)

Trinidad has stronger brakes and larger gears (which have certain advantages).  Think the gear ratio of the Trinidad is also higher.  Whether this translates into actual performance differences is debatable (I'm not taking sides because I've not fished with either).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

You're comparing a $500 reel to a $200 reel :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

drdre

I took apart my Baja and I cant get the "eccentric" lever to work properly.  I think I bent the essentric springs a little.  I also cannot figure out where the clutch springs go. can anyone help. Thanks ? ???

alantani

i am hoping that the tutorial has enough photos for you.  any progress?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: JasonF on June 20, 2012, 06:00:43 AM
I am having so much fun with my first Senator project that I have come to the conclusion that the 113hn will be bought the day I finish my 115 project.  What else can be done to trick these 113hn's out though?  They come very nicely set up.

A thorough pre-use service and a better grip! That's it. (I put a 4/0 Kolekar on mine.)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Joel.B

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 15, 2012, 07:18:45 PM
You're comparing a $500 reel to a $200 reel :-\.
I'd like to respectfully offer my opinion on this.
I love the old Penns- love em a bunch

buuuuut if I am throwing  and dropping iron all day I prefer a stock Torium to any 113

Faster, smoother, cast better and more ergonomically friendly

no soul though

When I get done with my "Yellow Tail Special" with all the Jvariance farkles with Power-Handle and Newell gears etc etc....I may change my mind

In two years I literally caught thousands of large YT and schoolie YFT on a Torium 16 with not a problem. I also had a Baja Special give it up after maybe a few hundred fish- spindle and gears had big issues.  One of those deals though- One Honda goes a million miles w/no problems, another blows a motor first month.....

Makule

QuoteOne of those deals though- One Honda goes a million miles w/no problems, another blows a motor first month.....

Never had a Honda (although I drove a very early one, really liked it, and would have bought one if it was available), but prefer GM/Chevy trucks.  GM/Chevy does things in a different way.  Their trucks go a million miles with no problem.  Then, the whole company goes bankrupt (but I still drive a Chevy).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

raumati01

I bought a Baja special about four years ago on the strength of this review. My local tackle shop found it in the back of a cupboard after someone ordered it and never bought it, so I got a good deal on it.
I thought I'd show what it's capable of, this was a fishing session with my brother in law a couple of weeks back .After we got back he admitted he'd never actually caught a fish before and one of these kingies was his first, for the record these bruiserss were 16, 18 and 22kgs, we got smoked a couple of times too as I think the school I found was larger than the usual locals which are usually in the 10-15kg range.