113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

JasonF

Yummy looking!!

Btw, does anyone know exactly what carbontex washer replaces the plastic one under the main?

johnD

Found this thread , it does not disappoint !

handi2

I have serviced a few of these reels and it was enough for me to buy 2 for myself. I got one new in the box at a discount and it has a problem. The anti reverse ratched is not flat..!! When installed the dogs are only on the pins half way with the main gear set in place. This results in the drag star not going on far enough to put the handle on without having too much drag pressure. I'll flatten it out tomorow and see how it goes.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

floating doc

What happened with your repair?
Central Florida

alantani

Quote from: handi2 on September 27, 2013, 12:51:15 AM
I have serviced a few of these reels and it was enough for me to buy 2 for myself. I got one new in the box at a discount and it has a problem. The anti reverse ratched is not flat..!! When installed the dogs are only on the pins half way with the main gear set in place. This results in the drag star not going on far enough to put the handle on without having too much drag pressure. I'll flatten it out tomorow and see how it goes.

ah, so THAT'S what happened!!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rusty hooks

Thanks a bunch for all the comments here on the HN...I was just about to embark on an Alto "tank" rebuild of a red H....

While I'm serious believer in the value of old Penn frames....it may be time for a new, USA made HN....still considering

I had my dremel out, sizing things up Alto....as daunting as it may be ::)

really interesting about the hollow vs solid sleeves.....interchangeable Alan?

floating doc

I have trying to finish a 112HN for months.  I already had the donor reel, but I don't have a  113H for the narrow tank I want. When I spotted a NIB baja special last week for $190 I grabbed it.
Central Florida

LTM

Finally read this entire post. Seems the only internal parts necessary to upgrade and max out this reel are a ss drag sleeve and thinner metal washers to increase  the amount/number of fiber drags (handle is external).  Are these parts available for those who may want to choose this reel vs the diy 113h YTS route? Heck, this 113HN has my attention now and Im just finishing up modifyng and still modding (due to the 7+1 by Bryan) THREE 113H reels (two YTS and one 113H)? After all there's nothing like having options and this site is ALL ABOUT OPTIONS after all.

Leo

Rusty hooks

Quote from: floating doc on November 12, 2013, 06:56:29 PM
I have trying to finish a 112HN for months.  I already had the donor reel, but I don't have a  113H for the narrow tank I want. When I spotted a NIB baja special last week for $190 I grabbed it.

I now understand why I can't find one ::).....good find....the best I've seen on a new stock price is $229

Like Alan said...it's what's under the hood

floating doc

Quote from: Rusty hooks on November 13, 2013, 05:57:39 PM
Quote from: floating doc on November 12, 2013, 06:56:29 PM

I now understand why I can't find one ::).....good find....the best I've seen on a new stock price is $229

Like Alan said...it's what's under the hood

I couldn't pass that up.  It was bought several years ago but never used. The seller claimed that it has the full complement of bearings. I haven't opened it up to check.
Central Florida

Rusty hooks

Its holiday time...and I know how Christmas and fishing reels go together....well

Penn 113HN's are on sale....online   Bluewater outriggers online....

for 199.99...new with a warranty...mine is on a ups truck and I think they have a couple more available

maxpowers

I am thinking of buying some laminated CF and additional metal washers to increase the keyed washers to 6 vs the 4 currently in the reel.  Based on Alan's measurements of the HT-100 drag at 1.26 mm I think I can get 6 of the .90 mm keyed washers into there.  Does anyone think this will be a bad idea?  Just trying to get smoother drag at the higher range without having to really cranked down on the star.  Have anyone tried the .70 mm CF material?  Whould that be too thin at the higher drag ranges?

RUSTY OLD COLT

I recently picked up the 113hn baja special . It looks like penn has a winner with this reel. stainless steel parts, double dogs .,alum.frame, well greased inside and fells nice and smooth when cranking.The only thing I'm going to change on mine is the crank handle the dealer told me penn might be making smaller versions of this reel in the near future. Also go to penns web site and download the coupon for a free water proof backpack