What Brand of Mono

Started by Reel 224, May 14, 2015, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I have a question about Mono, that is what brand of mono does anyone think is better and has less memory. Ive heard so much about Braided lines, but nothing on monofilament and we have a lot of fisherman that are still using it, including myself. So how about it?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Doug

I use Momoi  high catch smoke blue or clear and Ande  regular pink or the more expensive green tournament grade . Both brands have about the same memory  Momoi is a bit thinner than regular mono of the same lb test. 
Lately I have been trying Berkley's Fireline for fresh water and so  farI like it enough  that I picked up  some 20lb test to try on a 710z or712z for stripers and bottom fishing  Doug

MarkT

I don't always use mono but when I do I prefer Pline CXX and Izor XXX.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

redsetta

For saltwater, it's Momoi all the way for me - though, these days, I only run mono on one 20lb rig, one deep-dropper (50lb) and two game/trolling rigs (50lb/80lb).
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bestout

The monsters in my head are scared......

LTM

IZORLINE XXX, great mono at very reasonable prices!

Leo

mike1010

Another for Izor XXX.  Experience suggests it has superior knot strength, but be aware that it is pretty stretchy.  YMMV.

thorhammer

you didnt specify what type of fishing you would be doing but Stren Original is very castable and can be had in hi vis yellow if you look. for surf fishing or trolling I use BBG or Ande in hi vis green. not the limpest but tried and true. Suffix also, and is limper than last two.

Tunacious

Newell Nut

Momoi diamond is the only one for me and braid is forbidden on the boats around here anyway.

Reel 224

Quote from: thorhammer on May 14, 2015, 10:11:11 PM
you didnt specify what type of fishing you would be doing but Stren Original is very castable and can be had in hi vis yellow if you look. for surf fishing or trolling I use BBG or Ande in hi vis green. not the limpest but tried and true. Suffix also, and is limper than last two.

To be specific I am fishing from a pier with spinning and conventional reels using various artificial baits in the 3/4 oz to 1-3/4 oz, also Top water plugs up to 3oz. The reels that I use for bottom fishing are already loaded with Braid. Just looking for a good grade of Mono for plugin in 15#-20# that will cast well and have little memory as possible.     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rare

Ande pink for me. Cant tell you as far as less memory from what the others lines folks have mentioned here. I have used momoi diamond but their mono is thicker and there actual breaking strength of their line is off the chart. :-[ it is a soft line tho

Keta

When using 5'-10' topshots I use fluro.  For the 100' ones I troll with I use Berkley Big Game Solar Collector hi-viz mono and change them out often.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jaypeegee

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 15, 2015, 01:40:45 AM

To be specific I am fishing from a pier with spinning and conventional reels using various artificial baits in the 3/4 oz to 1-3/4 oz, also Top water plugs up to 3oz. The reels that I use for bottom fishing are already loaded with Braid. Just looking for a good grade of Mono for plugin in 15#-20# that will cast well and have little memory as possible.     

Using mono for casting plugs seems counter intuitive to me. I would automatically think braid for this application personally. I am curious and would love to hear why.

Anyway. I use Sakuma night crystal for surfcasting as it is super bright and easily seen after dark, has limited memory, good abrasion resistance and 10kg line knots well into 40Kg leader.

Reel 224

Quote from: jaypeegee on May 15, 2015, 02:58:11 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on May 15, 2015, 01:40:45 AM

Using mono for casting plugs seems counter intuitive to me. I would automatically think braid for this application personally. I am curious and would love to hear why.

Anyway. I use Sakuma night crystal for surfcasting as it is super bright and easily seen after dark, has limited memory, good abrasion resistance and 10kg line knots well into 40Kg leader.

I guess that's why there is more then one horse in a horse race. I happen to like mono for casting plugs and that's my only explanation, as far as counter intuitive  ??? Not sure what your point is but you seam to be the expert here. Actually I haven't tried Braid for casting plugs and maybe I will, but for now Ill just try one of the suggested Mono's, most likely it will be Momoi.