What Brand of Mono

Started by Reel 224, May 14, 2015, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

When using Momoi Hi-Catch Diamond, one this to be aware of is the break strength. It breaks much higher than rated and I usually take that into consider ration when choosing which test. I.E. if I want a 40lb mono I usually go with 30lb momoi diamond.

Reel 224

Well I decided to buy a 1/4# of 20# Momoi to re-spool the two reels for the season, I purchased the 1/4# spool figuring I will probably be re-spooling a few times this season. I'm also toying with the Idea of doing some Power pro in 40# in the future, I can get 500yds of it for $44.99 at one place, but if I buy it from Bob at NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle I can get two 300yrd spools of 40# for $45.98 that's an extra 100yds for almost the same price. The Momoi was less then half that price. Bottom line, the performance is key. No pun intended.  
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

conchydong

Momoi is good stuff for mono but I'd stay away from Powerpro if you can for your spectra/dyneema purchase. Lot of other very good braids out there  within the same price range that has more consistent quality than PP. Some members on this board have great stuff for sale. Keta sells JB,
Black Pearl sells braid and so does r46chevy. Spectra will last a decade if cared for and not damaged by reefs, rocks, birds, boat hulls etc. so there is no need to worry about a few dollars difference. Ultraviolet rays will not weaken the braid like they will with mono.

retrofit

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 15, 2015, 07:26:22 PM
I understand it's a matter of preference on whether people us mono or Braid, I do understand that braid has some good advantages though, and the comments here are appreciated, But my question was about mono.

You are right Reel 224. Your question was about mono and it seems many of us including me are trying to convert you over to braided line. Sorry about that. If I were to try a mono line today I think I'd try Seaguar Senshi. I believe it is a relatively new Seaguar product. It is supposed to have less stretch than most other monos and stays flexible which I interpret and having low memory. So to help Reel 224 out here, has anyone on this board used this line? It would be worthwhile to do a search for Seaguar Senshi on the whole board.

Reel 224

I will do the research on finding the Seguar Senshi locally. Also I'm glad that conchydong brought that to my attention about Powerpro And that there are resources here that I can utilize for Braid line. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rare

Momoi Diamond

Pound Test     Actual Breaking Strength   
   12 lb.                  20 lb.      
   16 lb.             25 lb.         
   20 lb.             39 lb.         
   30 lb.             50 lb.         
   40 lb.             68 lb.      
   50 lb.             83 lb.      
   60 lb.             92 lb.         
   80 lb.            122 lb.      

Reel 224

Quote from: Rare on May 19, 2015, 12:54:29 AM
Momoi Diamond

Pound Test     Actual Breaking Strength   
   12 lb.                  20 lb.      
   16 lb.             25 lb.         
   20 lb.             39 lb.         
   30 lb.             50 lb.         
   40 lb.             68 lb.      
   50 lb.             83 lb.      
   60 lb.             92 lb.         
   80 lb.            122 lb.      

I purchased the Momoi 20 lb and loaded the two reels I wanted mono on today, to be quite honest I was not that impressed with its lay on the Spinning reel, it remains to be seen how it will do on the water. As far as the conventional reel goes the line went on much better and the lie was smoother. Again I will see how well it casts. Just by handling it and tying it, it does seam a bit more supple then most mono Ive used. I am hopping to get out this week and if I do then the line will get a good test.

sharkman

I have tried lots of brands and I always go back to Berkley Big Game for saltwater fishing.

Keta

Quote from: conchydong on May 16, 2015, 04:46:01 PM
Momoi is good stuff for mono but I'd stay away from Powerpro if you can for your spectra/dyneema purchase. Lot of other very good braids out there  within the same price range that has more consistent quality than PP. Some members on this board have great stuff for sale. Keta sells JB,
Black Pearl sells braid and so does r46chevy. Spectra will last a decade if cared for and not damaged by reefs, rocks, birds, boat hulls etc. so there is no need to worry about a few dollars difference. Ultraviolet rays will not weaken the braid like they will with mono.

Power Pro Ace hollow is good line but too slick for making topshots.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Normslanding

LTM

You guys owe it to yourselves to give Izorline XXX a try. Also, lines that test/break higher than advertised usually achieve this by having thicker diameter line; measure it for yourself and see.

Leo

Reel 224

Quote from: LTM on May 19, 2015, 05:29:16 PM
You guys owe it to yourselves to give Izorline XXX a try. Also, lines that test/break higher than advertised usually achieve this by having thicker diameter line; measure it for yourself and see.

Leo

The Momoi 20lb isn't any thicker then what I removed from my reels actually was a bit thinner and more supple. Ill look into the Izorline XXX in the future. First thing is to get out there and start fishing, then I can make an intelligent decision. 

jaypeegee

The objective of a lower diameter mono has me intrigued.

When I used fixed spool reels it was a high priority for distance requirements but I wondered whether there was such a thing as a free lunch.

Meaning Breaking strength to diameter ratios seemed somewhat constant within a degree of tolerance.
Where I tried a new line for the lower diameter I saw undesirable consequences such as greater abrasion or poor knot tying and would gradually return to either the same brand as I had used previously or another that held the same BS to Dia ratio.

I fish from shore (Bait and sinker mainly) and do so 2 to 3 times a wee. As such I am pretty good about rinsing reels/line after fishing each night. I fish over sand and stones mainly. I mention this to give an idea of how I treat my line and give context to my observations.

This observation holds true whether using Mono or Co Polymer lines.

Be interesting if anyone here would care to poke holes in my theory or confirm their observations as the same.