DAIWA RANT

Started by LTM, June 21, 2015, 04:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

I think the reason there are not aftermarket upgrades for the old sealines is that they just aren't needed.  The reels are so well made as is, you don't need to upgrade when replacing broken parts, there ain't nothing broken to start with.

Somehow the newell penn stuff was just too cool in the 70s and 80s.  It's what I wanted as a kid, without realizing that the one Sealine my dad had was better than the Jigmaster and  newell bars.  After some time on here I have come to realize that I don't really want jigmasters, I want 50h sealines.  And as I make up sets for loaners on the new boats I am fixing old penns to sell and buy 2 sealines for the same price.. 

Rancanfish

Tom you are so right, sorta.  Penns are still cool.  I love my Squidders, Surfmasters and Jigmasters.  I use working on them to relax and get my mind off work, etc.  My hobby is making each and every one a mini tank (almost).

I made a copy of the Penn parts info Fred posted one time.  I put it in a binder and cross reference info all the time.  Will I grow up and be like Fred?   Too late.  But boy he made it fun for me. (Thanks Fred).

And I have had my Daiwas since Alan started doing all this stuff, or at least teaching others.  Mine are almost all new condition. And my 50h was the subject of his tutorial so how lucky am I? I was Kolekar'in 10 years ago.  ;D

We are on the verge of making these reels bullet proof.  The guys that step up will be the ones that always step up.  I'm ready.   8)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Reel 224

Penn reels remind me of Chrysler's Hemi Head Engines. Back in the day no one liked Chrysler cars design but the Hemi was fast as hell. Then came Top Fuel Drag Racing. Best in the business copied the Hemi design and made it the fastest thing on the track,solid and proven. Just like Penn, and MADE IN THE USA!! ;) ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."