Avet exw 50 making odd sound.

Started by Scobrey, August 19, 2015, 09:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scobrey

After using the site for a couple of years to answer all my reel questions I finally hit a dead end and joined.  I recently bought a used Avet exw50, it looks to be in good shape with few scratches etc...  It functions as it should and as I expected.  However, it makes a metallic sound almost like a bell when I quickly move the handle back and forth.  This only occurs from about have way up the drag range and more, at every preset I tried.  When I remove the left side plate and spool assembly it stops.  I seems to be coming from right where the handle goes into the gear box.  Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Scobrey

I've got it apart cleaning it now, was trying to figure out how to post or link a short video.  Seeing and hearing would make more sense than me trying to explain.

Keta

Thanks, it's been a few years since I had one of mine apart and I can't think what would be causing a bell like sound.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Is there any noticable play/wiggle between the drive shaft and its housing, or laterial play in the drive shaft?  

I have only worked on one of these, and it was quite some time ago, but asside from anything being obviously loose or broken, I might suspect a spacing issue or problem due to wear.  *Of course I almost always suspect spacing issues :)

Since this is happening while the reel is under load, and the spool is stationary, seems like it might be something that has a bit more play in it then it should.  Could range from gearset/driveshaft contacting ratchet plate, to something in the drag chamber, to something else on the tight sideplate touching.

I would start by checking the spool clearance while under load, to ensure there is no noticable binding, or rubbing (either with the gear set on the ratchet plate, or on the frame, or any parts in the drag chamber moving around).  Then check the bearings.  Check tollerances on drive shaft.  Check gear wear.  Test the function of the reel with the frame removed, but spool in place..try to add presure with your left hand and see if you can replicate the symptoms.  Then try to replicate the problem with the spool assembly removed, but spool shaft and gear set in place.

Or just start with a full service, and see if it still has the same problem.  May just be excessive drive shaft retainer, gear wear, or bad bearings allowing excessive play.  If the Bellevilles are overly compressed, your spool may be too far right when under load.  New Bellevilles and/or shimming would fix this.

Pictures or a video would definately help here.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

it's probably the type of thing that you could figure out in minutes if you had the reel in hand.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on August 20, 2015, 05:31:32 PM
it's probably the type of thing that you could figure out in minutes if you had the reel in hand.....   :-\

Yup, it's hard to trouble shoot online.

Mark Twain

Scobrey

Video won't upload, here is the link to it.

Scobrey

Keta

Ok, it's more of a clicking sound.  Does it do it in low gear?  I'm thinking it's in the shift assembly.  I'm heading to the shop and I'll try to make one of mine do it.

Mark Twain

Scobrey

Yes click works too, has an almost nice ring to it in person if it wasn't coming from my reel!  Glad you mentioned gear, I forgot to say it occurs in both.  I have an ex30 as well and the amount of play in the handle seems quite consistent between the two, which really confuses me.

Tightlines667

Interesting?

Can you have the reel duplicate the sound by simply turning the spool forward a bit then rocking it backwards?  I am actually starting to think it is the antireverse dog catching.
Hope springs eternal

Scobrey

Yes on doing it by using spool.  Exactly what I thought it was, removed them and same sound.  It's hard to isolate the sound because it's such a metallic ring.  To me it really sounds like it's just inside the right side plate where the handle shaft enters.  There is not any side to side play with the handle.

Tightlines667

I would try to replicate the sound with the right side plate removed, and with the spool sitting on the left plate, by just rotating the spool.
Hope springs eternal

Scobrey

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 20, 2015, 06:39:22 PM
I would try to replicate the sound with the right side plate removed, and with the spool sitting on the left plate, by just rotating the spool.

Okay, no click when I do this.  Even tried putting pressure against the spool to simulate drag pushing it.

Also just tried pushing spool against left side plate tight, no sound.  Pushing against right side plate, sound there but not as clanky