Tiburon Frames for Penn

Started by Bryan Young, January 08, 2011, 08:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

G'day Alan,
I'm just about to spool up my Tiburon (T4NK) 113H (with S/S internals, Carbontex etc) with 50lb Momoi mono and wanted to confirm this is still the best choice.
It's my 'go to' yellowtail kingfish reel - predominantly live bait, but some multipurpose use.
Would you recommend, say, 80lb Spectra backing as per your 'ideal reel' post (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=290.0):
QuoteThe third would be a 50-pound-class reel, holding 300 yards of 80-pound spectra and a 50-yard topshot of 50-pound mono or fluoro, delivering 25 pound of drag.
Thanks, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

you're probably looking at a shade less than 300 yards of 50# momoi.    that should be enough!

Alto Mare

Hello Alan, I know that you have a lot going on, this is just a little reminder for you to send me the SS sleeve for the 6/0, no harry whenever you get a chance. Also, could you add one for the Jigmasters? If available, I'll take one with the fine threads. Thank you! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

ah, so THAT's why i ordered those!!!  can you send me a pm with your address again? 

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Alan, I just received the parts today, thank you for the parts and your excellent service, I appreciate it. The check is on its way, take care, sal

redsetta

G'day lads,
The season's looming here in NZ and my goal of bringing home a 20kg YT kingie this summer is edging closer.
I've built a good rig, but am still second-guessing my line capacity.
I've got a narrow Tiburon 113H (which pulls about 30lbs of drag), spooled with just over 230 yards of 50lb Momoi mono.
It's matched to a new Shimano Tiagra 5'8" 15KG stand-up rod.
I could strip it all off, underlay with 200 yards of braid and top-shot with 150 yards of mono.
Or just leave it alone and stop fretting...  ;D
Any thoughts?
Cheers, Justin
PS One approach to measuring balancing mono/braid capacity: http://www.thesmartfisherman.com/3.html

seaeagle2

If the line is in good shape, it's the right kind of line for the kind of fishing you're going to do, and it's already spooled on the reel, it sounds like you're over thinking it, just leave it be and start figuring out what lure you're going to use. But I'm sure I'd be doing the same thing.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

redsetta

Quotesounds like you're over thinking it
Is it that obvious?  ;D
Cheers seaeagle - good advice. I'll leave it be...

seaeagle2

I'm kinda an overthinker myself.  In Washington state, halibut season is open about 5 weeks, 4 days a week.  Due to the travel distance involved, that means probably one 3 day weekend of fishing.  I have 1 113H with a Jvariance narrow spool and frame kit, 1 113H with standard frame and aluminum spool, I just bought one off ebay with a newell spool and bars.  I have 1 113h with the drag that you can get at without pulling it apart, and one 113hl, and I'm trying to decide what to do with the last two. I think I'll get new bars for the 113h, use the aluminum spool off the 113hl, and get a narrow frame kit when I get some more money, all for about three days of fishing a year......But I agonized for a month about how to do all this.....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Cortez_Conversions

Alan- Do you still have any 501 frames...
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

alantani

lserio

Hello

I am new to the site, great info.

Do you have any 145 tiburon frames left?

Thanks

alantani

got it boxed up and ready to go!