jigmaster gets harder to turn when the left side spool bearing is fully tightene

Started by fishhawk, September 09, 2015, 12:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Hey, another prob with my new-born passion! lol..this is a 505 w/ accurate plates n frame if that matters, but reel is smooth as butter when I have the spool tension  backed out a little, but you can feel a little resistance whenever I have to tighten on spool adjuster?????

RowdyW

The bearing should be adjusted to have a slight bit of side to side play. Never tighten it so there is no play. It is not a casting adjustment.

Rancanfish

What rowdy said.  Push/pull the spool back and forth sideways and adjust the slop out, while still allowing free spooling ease.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

fishhawk

reel is too fast,I hate doing it but if not tightened fully, youre not going to throw it

Keta

It's not a cast control and you will damage the bearing or spool shaft is you use it as one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

It's old school, your thumb is the cast control. If you need cast control you will have to buy a reel with a brake control or magnetic control. A jigmaster has neither. Bearings should have no side load at all. The spool should have a few thousands side to side play NOT 0 side play.

RowdyW

Because you are jamming the bearings with a side load. If you insist on jamming the spool with a side load you will have to try to adapt your reel to use tapered bearings or redial bearings. Good luck with that!

fishhawk

I go from 0 spin to full spin with only a 1/4" turn of adjustment, is that normal? The bearing adjustment screw is nearly 1/4" inside the plate, is that normal?

RowdyW

foakes

Hi fishhawk --

The method for adjusting the bearing screw for me, is just --

Tighten the bearing screw until snug --

Back it out a little --

I am looking for the maximum smooth free spool operation -- with the least amount of lateral side play in the spool.

Generally only 1/8th to 1/4 outward turn achieves this on new bearings --

Be gentle if jamming/tightening the bearings too hard against the spool ends -- damage could occur.

The bearings are there to hold the spool in place for maximum free spool spin -- nothing more should be asked of them.

This is how we all learn -- one question at a time.

Thanks for your question -- and maybe you could post some pics -- it helps everyone to see your project.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fishhawk

Thank-you Fred, But I have several jigmasters and ambassadeurs plus am 60 yrs old so I've been around awhile. This particular reel is decked out to the max! ( drags,gears, stainless,accurate plates n frame) and this one is different (too much free-spool) just wondering why???? Sho is a perty dog not to hunt!

RowdyW

Try packing the bearings with the heaviest marine grease or marine wheel bearing grease you can find. That should slow it down a bit.

fishhawk