East coast head boat tuna

Started by bill19803, October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19803

Headed off  to  Belmar  NJ   thursday night   for   canyon  tuna on Golden Eagle  a   23 hour  trip.  Got to  canyon  anchored  up in  700   ft  or  so. things  slow  till   230   am  then  it began.  not  spurts  but steady  pick  then  500  boom my   rod  went  off   at   200   ft  down.  Set the hook   and  said  ouch. that bad  boy  was off  and running.  Pushed lever on  accurate   past  strike   and  slowed him  down    then  he came  at me.  then  the up  and  downs  for a  while   and   he  was  dinner.   Big  eye    appx    150-   160   Later  landed  a yellowfin    50-60.  Not bad  for an old fart like me.  Sure was tired  when i  got home though.

The   guys on  american  angler  gave  lessons on my  trips there   and i listened  Did the  rail  rod  thing  the   whole  time    and it  sure  paid off  big  time

equipment   custom  calstar  770h   rod   by   Kens   custom reel,    accurate  atd    50   (25 lbs drag),  130  cortland  spectra    100 izor   flouro   mustad   94151    9/0 hook

Back out there again  tonight

BMITCH

See ya in a couple hours Bill. Can't wait to put some steel to a forked tail fish. Weather gods are smiling on us. Travel safe.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Steve-O

Great report!  Pictures! Pictures!....please and thank you for sharing.

Newell Nut

Captain Al's old films of catching tuna in the canyon on the Betty W are amazing. Glad you had a good time.

bluefish69

There were a lot of fish back then that were not Iced. You could see tails sticking out of the barrels.

The Brooklyn VI sails at 7AM Sunday for a 36 Hr. Trip

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

newport

That was a nice bigeye. I wish I was out there tongiht. Oh well, life sucks like that lol. Until then I'll see you around next year. And more than 1 trip that's for sure. Good luck on tonight's trip.

bluefish69

I don't fish for Tuna. I'm waiting for Sea Bass & Cod. Those are long day trips.

Mike

newport

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 12, 2015, 03:45:46 AM
I don't fish for Tuna. I'm waiting for Sea Bass & Cod. Those are long day trips.

Mike
are those trips generally pretty good? If they taste anything like lingcod, then I'm up for giving it a shot.

bluefish69

Sea Bass when you hit the right wreck can fly over the rail for everyone with a mix of Jumbo Porgies. There is a limit of 8 Sea Bass at present going to 10 soon. Porgies are 30 limit at 12". Cod is 10 Fish & 22". I don't eat Cod. There is nothing wrong with them, it's just me. It is possible to get a limit of Sea Bass & Porgies. You will see Porgies of 3-4# on these trips.

Mike

BonitaBch

Bonita Beach, FL

bill19803

back  at it again on Golden  eagle  belmar,  nj

For   27 years  ive   tried  for a  swordfish    Hooked a few  always   got  spooled  or broken  up.
went  sunday  oct 11   again.  Put a  giant   squid  out   500  ft   with  24 ozs  weight   on  drift,. Boom  bang  wham   and game  on.  Half hour  later  100  lb  sword on  deck.
Might have   brought a    howitzer  to a gun  fight  with my gear  but  it   got it   done    accurate   80w  1300 yds   130  cortland  spectra  on  calstar  770xxxh   rod  24/0   vmc  hook   200  lb  izor  flouro leader  and  top  shot.
The   search for the  holy grail is finally over.

Back  at it  again  this coming  sunday   same time  same place

Steve-O

ALWAYS bring enough gun! ;)

Congrats on your grail fish.

My first one thus far was a monster Gator Gar. 7 feet, 200 + pounds. checked that box. ;D

Tightlines667

Quote from: bill19803 on October 13, 2015, 06:19:57 PM
back  at it again on Golden  eagle  belmar,  nj

For   27 years  ive   tried  for a  swordfish    Hooked a few  always   got  spooled  or broken  up.
went  sunday  oct 11   again.  Put a  giant   squid  out   500  ft   with  24 ozs  weight   on  drift,. Boom  bang  wham   and game  on.  Half hour  later  100  lb  sword on  deck.
Might have   brought a    howitzer  to a gun  fight  with my gear  but  it   got it   done    accurate   80w  1300 yds   130  cortland  spectra  on  calstar  770xxxh   rod  24/0   vmc  hook   200  lb  izor  flouro leader  and  top  shot.
The   search for the  holy grail is finally over.

Back  at it  again  this coming  sunday   same time  same place

Nice work.  Perseverance pays off.  Any pics?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

bill19803

bmitch is gonna  try posting  pics of  sword  and big eye   hope it works

BMITCH

Ok Bill...here ya go. Fun fishing with you. Hope you get the weather and the fish.let me know about November.

Bill here is the real deal. He comes to the gun fight with a cannon. As my buddy Scott said he hunting monsters.lol
luck is the residue of design.