East coast head boat tuna

Started by bill19803, October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19804

so  the  saga continues  another  year  just  back  from 30  hour  voyage  in  search  of  that  big  one. should  have  stayed  home  is  best  way  to  describe  it.    no tuna,  no  sword,  few  mahi  for  the  boat.  and  im  wearing  skunk  oil  myself.  but  there  will  be  another  6  early  saturday  morning  sailing  to  make  up  for  this  one. more  next week!!!

Decker

Glad to see you got out, Bill.  Good luck on the next one!

bill19804

so  went  again  this  past weekend.  capt  wouldnt  say  where  he  was  going  but  it  would not  be  the  Hudson  canyon.  so  off  we  went  after 6  hours  started  mahi  fishing  on  lobster  pot  bouys. some  had  fish  on  them  some   didnt so  about  6  or  7  pm  started  drifting  off  the  edge  for  the  big  guys. not  much  happening  a  big  ray  around  boat  the  eventually  got  snagged  was  the  premier  event. moved  location   tried  some  more  nada  for  a  few  hours then  a  regular  in  bow  landed   maybe  51 inch  fork  length  swordfish  then  a  few  mahis  committed  suicide. meanwhile  nada  for  me  or  partner. sorta  hard  to  concentrate  from  dinner  time  to  breakfast  time  with  nothing happening.  but  at  maybe  4 am  more  mahi  and  i had  one  biting  and  he  left  and  then it happened  peck  peck  and  boom  down  went  rod  tip.  i  set  hook  held  on  and  got  a  friendly  mate  to  take  over  when  i  physically  fizzled  out. maybe  20  min later  swordfish  at  boat.  used  a  measuring  device  to  determine  legality of length  with  fish  in  the  water. nope  1  inch too  short  cut fish  off  and  he  scooted  away seemingly  healthy. that  was  it  for  big  fish.  on  way  home  found  a  mahi  swarm  and  a  lot  of  10  fish  limits  were  had and  enforced.

got in,  took our  fish  whole  and  headed  home.  partner  drove  both  ways  in  my  truck  and  processed  the  fish   sunday  night. he is  a  taxidermist  so  hes  set  up  for  store  type  packaging  etc.

asw  a  whole  personally  satisfying  trip  as  it  proved  my  equipment  and  methods  are  up  to par  on  swordfish.. more  next  monday  after  another  trip

bill19804

trip  due  to  sail 9/24  cancelled   im  just  as  glad  my back  killed  me  last  trip  and  its  no  better.  maybe  ill  get  a  new  united  composites  rod  done  for  next  week. a  7-6  centaur  is  2/3  of  way  done  so  will  give  it  hell  trying  to  finish  it

oc1

Sometimes back problems can been a sigh thet you've been having fun.  It's good to see it all coming together for you.

bill19804

so  the  next  trip  went off  as  scheduled past  Saturday  morning a t  630  am.never  got  word  where  we  were  headed.  fished  a  bunch  of  pot  but no  exceptional  quantities  or  size  but  still fish.  anchored  up  for  o9vernight  chunking  for  tuna  by  7 pm  nothing  happens  for  hours.  then  my  partner, a  newby,  get a hit  lands  65  lb  yellowfin. half  hourt  passes  and  i  get  real  small  hit  a  swordfish?   but no  runoff. 5  minutes  later  a  bigger  hit  set  him  up  started  cranking.  got  it  to  boat  a  40  inch  sword  lassooed  around  his swprd.  gave  so  slack  and  he  was  gone  healthy  as ever  gotta  be  47  inches  to  be legal.
that  makes  two  short swords  but  no  legal ones. 
an  hour later  a  yell  from  the  bow  fishon  and soon  the  tailbeat  of  60-70 lb  yellowfin  slapping  deck was  heard.  we  kept  picking  away  and  getting  a nice bunch  of  identical  65 lb yelloe  fish.  somewhere  in  there  we  had  4  on  in  stern  at  once.
someone  up  front  lander  a 80 wahoo  on  a  popper.
partner  got  2 more  in thgat  mess  for  his  limit  the tutor(me)  got  one little  yft.  almost  a  skunk.things  continued  till  like  7am  picking  away  at  them.  a  lot  of  limits  filled
as a  whole  a  good  trip  lots  of  mahi  later  and  lots  of  yft limits.

score  1  short  sword  rele3ased,  1  30  yelloe  for  me  3  nice  fat 65  lb  yellows  for  my rookie  partner. 

oh  well  thats  fishing.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks for the report Bill.

The fishing may not have been what you were hoping for, but the 99.9% of us who have never caught swordfish would be thrilled to catch one of any size!

Benni3

sabaman1

Nice Bill. Thanks for sharing your catch report!
JIM

bill19804

ive  been  pondering  how  to  increase  my  catch  like  most  fishermen  30  years  ago  half  or  more  of  the  catch  was  long  fin  with  at  least  one  big  eye  on  every  trip  seldom  a  swordfish.

lately  i  have seen  one long  fin in  2  years  and  just  2  big  eyes  in  same  period  and  now  a  lot  more  swords.  wondering  whats  going  on?  longfin  and  big  eye  are  colder  water  fish  then  yellowfin.  has  our  water  in  hudson  canyon  increased  in  temperature?

are  more  swords  being  caught  cause  there  are  more  of them  now  with  moratorium  off  florida  or  guys  are  exploring  the  deep  more  because  nothing happening  in  shallower  depths  or  is  it  colder  water?
just  pondering  whats happening  to  figure  out  how  to  take  advantage  of  it.  got  2  more  trips  to  get  my  act  together  before  its  over  for  this  year

it used  to  be  put  a  bait  at  120  down  and  wait  but  not  long  now  they  are  all over  map  90  to  350  deep  with  no  honey  spot. this  past  weekend  action  was  deeper  then  300 ft.  nothing  in  100-150  frrt and  not  much  till  at least  250  feet.

any  guys  from  the  east  have  thoughts  about  this? id  love  to  hear  about them.

Gfish

I'm way past even the West coast and never fished the East. So no speculation, but it's interesting stuff to think about. Critters go for food, procreation and environmental comfort zones.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

If you're going eastcoast let me know,,,,,, ;) I will chip in on it,,,,,,, ;D

bill19804

so  3am  rolls around  on  saturday  morning  partner  calls  to  make  sure  im  up  and  moving. he  arrives  with  enclosed  trailer  and  two  newbies  never  been  before.  one  is  gung  he  bought  new  international 50  wide  and  big  spool  of  cortland  hollow  and  lots  of  terminal  gear. load  up  and  away  we  go  get  to  boat  for  700  departure  at515  boat  almost  full.  leave  at  600.  the  ride  seems  endless.  the  veterans  go  to  sleep  knowing  what  awaits  them  the  newbies  chatter  drink  coffee  and  tell  fishing  tales.  5  hours  later  squid  trawler  in  sight  set  up  to  drift  their  wake  not  much  luck.  move  to  different  trawler  partner  hooks  up  good  fish  hook  pulls  at  boat. maybe  100 lb  yft.
move again  and  anchor  for  night.   cap  says  there  are  fish  there  at  120,  150,  300.  finally  a  yell  and  fishon. maybe  60  lb  yft.  then  another  and  then  another. then  two  at  a  time  then  4  at  a  time  and  mass  mayhem mostly  30-50  yft.  mot  a  bite  for  me  thought.  our  two  newbies    picked  up  one  once  in  a  while.
limit  is  3  fish  each    soon  all  3  partners  are  fishing  for  last  legal  fish,  and  i  find  zone
50  lb  yft,  40  lb  yft 50  lb  yft. boat  limiting  out  lot  of  guys  are  done 
get  out  sword  gear  big  squid  calstar gf7470xxxh rod  rated  80-unlimited  and  atd 50 w  130  cortland  with 200  flouro  topshot 100  lb  hook leader

down  goes  bait  send  it  zooming  past  yft  zone  down  to  300  and  wait  and  watch. nada nada  nada.  cap  says  10  more  minutes  and  go  home  drop  bait  50  ft  more  i  thought  but  bait  wont  take  slack  line.  ooops  nibble  nibble  boom  battle  on. i  cant  control  the  fish  give  him  all  the  drag  im  comfortable  with  probably  26  lbs.  and  he  does  what  he  wants  when he  wants.  spools  gets  smaller  and  he  still  takes  line  at  will. doing  rail  rod  thing  with  butt  of  rod  under  crotch  and  hang  on  for  dear  life..,finally  make  headway  in  low  gear  but  i  gain  50  he  takes  40  20  mins  into  battle and  im  still  able  to  go head  to  head.  put  lot  of  thumb  drag  on  spool   so must  be  close  to  40  lbs drag  he  still  runs  ooops  my  thumb  got  caught  tween  top  cross  bar  and  spool  and  locks  spool   pow  and  aw  ####  moment.
now  ive  locked  horns  with  my  share  of  clarion  cows  but  this  sucker  had  more  go power  then  any of  them.  a  guess  a  big  sword  but  who  knows.
looks  like  catch  is  90  yft  6  long  fins  no  swords
back  at  it  in a week  same boat. same  time  probably  same  place

bill19804

it  hell  to  get  old  and  i  am  that  80  this  year.  tripped  over  my  feet  couple weeks  ago  aggrivated  old  back  injury  ouch  hurts  to  walk  or  sit.

valled  the  boat  and  cancelloed  out  for  last  week

called  them  today  and  cancelled  this  weeks  trip.  thats  all  they  have  for  this  year  so  im  done

seems  like off  sahore  tuna  is  over  early  nov  or  at  least  boats  dont  go  that  far  out  with  the  weather  being  what  it  always  is  in  november---iffy  at  best  risky  at  times.

so  now  i  have  the  best  tackle  arsenal  of  any  unemployed  swordfish  chaser  flouro  leader  by  10s  of  yards  custom  rods   by  half  dozen  at  least  1  f  every  atd  accurate  from  30  up with  3  international  backups  and  it  all  fills  a  room
heres  hoping  the  is  another  year  for  me  chasing

a  summary  of  the  year
a  couple  of  great  trip  a  couple  of  weather  cancellations  and a  couple  chicken out  by  me  cancellations.
general  thoughts  on  season
fish  seemed  to  be  concentrated  more  then  normal  get  a  boat  load  or  not  many  nothing  inbetween.big  eyes-didnt  see  any  long  fin  saw  6  out  of  about  110  fish.personally  had  swords  on  three  successive  trips. id  say  swords  are  coming  back  strong  and  47 inch  size  minimum  seems  to  be  working.  expecting  to  see  swords  targeted  more  by  rec  fishermen  in  future. longfin?  where  did  they  go  20 years  ago  3  yellowfins  and  5  longfins  over  40  lbs  was  a  fair  day,  not  a  great  day.  now  longfins re  on  par  with  swords  in  the  catch 

thats  one  old  guys  story  and  opinions  and  im  sticking  to  it.

follow  your  passion,  give  it  all  you  got.  its  worthwhile  as  anything  else

over  and  out

swordfish chaser (bill19803@aol.com)

Ron Jones

Any way you look at it, a whole lot of fishing and a whole lot of life. God speed, here's to many more years.
I hope your back heals well.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"