East coast head boat tuna

Started by bill19803, October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Not fair. Fishing gets good when I'm off the boat   :(

Nice to see the pic of the sword. The fact that no one else caught one means you're doing something right.

john2244

Hello $Bill,

Thanks for the reports and congratulations on the sword fish !!!!!  The big eye is nice but I have seen you catch much bigger YFT.  If I don't see you at the docks in San Diego good luck on your next AA TRIP.
John

Alto Mare

Very nice!...thanks for the report.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

My Kinda Guy! ;)
The Big Guns get'er Done. ;D
I just wonder what those big fish are feeling when they realize they are not going to get away this time.
Its hard telling how many times they have until they meet a guy like Bill.
Great Job! :o
Life is Good!

Steve-O

NICE Sword and Tuna!  Glad we got to see the pics. 

coastal_dan

Awesome to see the pictures and hear the tales.  Thanks for sharing.  Us young guns learn a lot from you older gentleman, we really appreciate your input and knowledge; keep it up!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Dominick

I missed this thread until now.  Congratulations.  Nice fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bill19803

Just returned   from  14  day  trip   to  clarion island, mexico    for  giant  yft  things  were  a  bit  slow in comparison to previous trips  fewer  fish  smaller fish (relatively)  and  tough  fishing  ya earned every one of them   3 cows  for the  boat  i  got  4  over  100  plus a hoo on   flouro  (no  wire) lost a lot of hoos  and couple  decent  or  more  yft   but thats fishing
great food  great group of  guys  so all in all  a  good  trip  just  not spectacular like in past- im  spoiled.

lots  of  sportsmanship--  handing off  100+ lb  fish  to those having a tough  day  sharing of  techniques, knowledge and sometimes  equipment,  getting out of the way of someone hooked  up was the rule rather then the exception.

as  always  amazing  to  experience  this  fishery   but the old  body  cant take the  constant pounding of  6  days straight fishing  anymore, so this was  my  last long  range

got to  handle prototype  reels  that  are in  r &  d stage  look  sweet  couldnt  find out what was inside them  but  they  did  perform well  for those that used them.  with  the  consultant who is helping with the design  it looks like these  will be the next generation  of big game goodies and be  very  successful.

will  stick to east  coast waters  from here on  and  hope  for the  big one  one more time

BMITCH

Bill, sorry to hear it was a slow trip. Like you said..that's fishing. We will hook up as the season progresses here. Just think in another month will be stripers. Glad to hear you made it back safe.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

I wouldn't call that a bad trip, yes sounds like you are spoiled  ;D.
Now lets see some pics if you have some.
14 days...wow!!

Good to have you back safe Bill.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Well done Bill!  Post up some pictures if you have any, or email them to me and I'll host them and post them.

Sounds like you've got enough meat to last a while, do you get it shipped home?
Dan from Philadelphia...

bill19803

well  its that time of year again   to  give   the east coast  yellowfins  and  swords a jaw  ache.    Out on  Golden  eagle, belmar,  nj  on  Sunday/monday.  Did a  loooong boat  ride to one of the  canyons.  The weatherman  lied a bit on  winds   just  about twice  as   fast   as predicted.  Drift  was too fast   so had  to  go to  anchor.  5  hours into   fishing   got a bump  that took  about 2 feet    and   quit.  Nothing  nada  15 mins later   guy next  to me  lands   a    swordie  of  125-140.  i pull  in my    squid  from  600   ft out  yep  its been  slashed    by a  sword     but he  didnt like  it. same  fish   ???  who knows.
Move  an  hour   south   more   anchor   nada   Lines   running   from  stern  to  bow    and  seems like always  under the boat. Trying  to   fish  deep  and  away  from the  tuna   guys  means  i gotta let  out   some serious  line.  Was   going out   500   ft   with   16  oz  lead   and  2   giant hooks in   squid   so maybe   20  oz   total  to  get where i needed   to be.  Shoulda  stayed in  cabin instead  of   freezing in the   wind   for all  the good i   did.
Total  for boat one sword   and no  tuna.  The  saga  continues   Wednesday  again   

coastal_dan

Thanks for the update Bill!  Looking forward to more updates over the next few weeks.
Dan from Philadelphia...

bill19803

well  after    2   trips  that  were  agonizingly  long  im  ready to pack it in  for the  season
First  trip --no   tuna   one   sword maybe   125   no other hits  but  did  have a  big  squid  get  slashed  at   300   down  but no  bite 
Second  trip    combo  mahi tuna --lots of  chicken  mahi  a few   gaffers     to maybe   15 lbs  one  sword  of  maybe  20  lbs.it was released    and  swam  away Did not hear of any other  bites   during tuna   portion of  trip.
I tried   deep 300-350   down   (600   ft out)  with  big   squid.   On  top  with  smaller   squid  no weight   and  from  100 down  to  200 down   with  many   weights  at one point    40  ozs   to  get   to  150   ft   DOWN.  Nada      zilch   zero   baits came back  looking like i put  them out.
Ya cant  catch  anything if  you dont have bait in the  water  so  ill try again  sunday but beginning to  wonder about  my sanity.
more  after  sunday trip

bluefish69

Bill

I just read the report from the Head Boats Pt. Pleasant N.J. to Montauk. All Tuna Fishing is dead slow. It's even hard to find bait that they would eat since the storm on Labor Day weekend. Also saw the temp. chart only warm water is South of Montauk.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.