Upgraded Monofil 27 Inspection and Overhaul

Started by Porthos, October 12, 2015, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

It's been two years since my enhanced Monofil 27 got its last upgrade, the 13-200 pinion. So after the recent discussions of upgrading the Monofils, it was time to do an overhaul.

First, off comes the lock screw, handle screw, 24-56 handle, and star.

Then, the SIX 39-8 post screws come out off the right side plate..

After, unscrewing and dropping the bridge, a chip of bakelite fell out. It came from the well wall adjacent to the dog.

This was a mystery since that part of the plate is not load bearing. The only thing I can attribute it to is age; what cause it to break off is unknown. Do not recall ever dropping the reel...???

There was no deformation of the 13-200 pinion; the ring appeared round as before.

The spool shaft of the 29L-100 appeared in equally good shape. Very evident where saltwater got in and reacted with the Yamaha Marine grease--the crescent of browned grease on the left side.

The drag stack was quite grimy from Cal's and CF particles.

The middle HT-100 (right side in photo)  showed three points of CF compressed out in the inner diameter. The top and bottom HT-100's did not have this. Did not consider the matter serious enough to warrant replacement for the time being.

The under gear HT-100's showed compression from the gear sleeve and rub ring from the dog.

The side facing the main gear had a rough spot.

The stainless steel gear sleeve had compress marks and scoring from the metal washers.

A little more visible here:

The left side bearing was removed and inspected with no anomalies found. Then, the SIX 32-22 post screws came out.

No visible signs of corrosion on either side of the frame. The brighter spots are gaps in the anodizing that were there when I got the frame (bought used for $19  ;D).

No issues with interior of the left side plate.

Rebuild time. Coat of Cal's on the gear sleeve.

Under gear HT-100.

Main gear and first HT-100.

First keyed washer.

The second or middle HT-100.

The eared washer.

The last HT-100.

Last keyed washer, bellevilles ( ), and spacing sleeve.

Yamaha marine grease on the inner side of bridge.

Drop in bridge assembly.

Drop in the dog.

Install dog spring; as can be seen, there's NO pressure on the chip that broke off.

Rotate bridge and tighten screws.

Another shot of the chipped area--there's nothing that was in contact with it.  ::) another unsolved mystery of the universe.

Yamaha grease on the outer side of the bridge.

Re-install both left and right side plates.

Back goes the star.

Attach handle, handle screw, lock screw, and DONE. Note that I switched the orientation of the frame so that the Tiburon logo faces the user as Tiburon intended (Joel had talked to Tiburon and passed this tidbit along to me during the 2015 SOA.)

I'm beginning to think about how long this rose color 27 was in service before I got it, and may consider putting it on the shelf after next season. Then I'll bring my maroon narrowed 26 back in service since those plates are more common than the rose ones.

swill88

Thanks for that great post.
Everytime I read throught one of these pictorials my own reel skills improve.

Shark Hunter

Good job on that Wai. ;)
I was going to do a narrowing of a Monofil this past weekend, but got tied up with Cleaning Gutters and Mowing the Grass. I did build another 12/0 from parts on Sunday. ;)
Life is Good!

TommyK

Thanks for all the details. I'll be digging into two Monofils shortly & I'm sure this write up will come in handy. Nice score on the tib frame

Ron Jones

Catching a yellowtail on that reel will be a lifetime achievement. I'm glad it's still going strong.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Porthos

Quote from: noyb72 on October 15, 2015, 03:36:34 AM
Catching a yellowtail on that reel will be a lifetime achievement. I'm glad it's still going strong.
Ronald

How's your 180?

Ron Jones

Sorry, missed that question. The 180 gets rebuilt a hundred different ways, I use it for experimenting. It currently has a full Newell kit and everything was powder coated black. I need to get a set of rings and have them redone as mine were rode hard and put away wet before I got it, not even blasting and powder coating made it look decent. I'll get it together before the AT trip in 18 and catch another YT on a 100 spool. I'm gonna get a 9ft all black 30# rod made up for it to play with.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rancanfish

I upgraded one of these this afternoon.  I was blown away by the dinky drags and main gear.  My friends main was steel, so that was a plus I guess.

I added a 29L-100 and hand fit some squidder drags in to it.  Changed out his bars for some like-new ones and added a larger handle.  I hope it stands up to rock fishing / ling duties.  His reel was a smooth operator to start but now it's clean and salt resistant.

Wai, did you use your 27 for tuna?  I like your attitude if you did!

I fished a 920 Levelmatic for Leopard sharks once.  I caught a big ray and I and it, circled my boat three times before he came up,  lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

FatTuna

I've only owned one Monofil. It was a 27. I sold it and instantly regretted it. I plan to buy another one.

Yours looks really good with all the upgrades.

Swami805

Just saw this post for the 1st time, jogged my memory that I one that was my fathers. He gave it to me and I put a newell kit on it. Soon after the p220f came out and I bought one and the 27's been in moth balls ever since. I know what I'll be doing after work today. Pretty sure I have some new drags that will fit. Any advice on other upgrades I should do?
I have a nice Roddy Powermaster (thanks Randy!) I can put it on and use it for halibut.
Great tutorial, should be really helpful, thanks
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Aiala

I did three similar upgrades, one each in grey, green and rose/fuschia. So far they're shelfies (drat) but I do intend to try them out!

Wai, how come you chose a CF under the gear instead of Delrin?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 10, 2016, 05:39:44 AM
...Wai, did you use your 27 for tuna?  I like your attitude if you did!...

I've been trying...but the only action it's been seeing has been yellowtail at Cedros and San Benitos for the last three years.

Quote from: Swami805 on August 10, 2016, 11:03:27 AM
...Any advice on other upgrades I should do?...

• stainless steel gear sleeve
  • 13-200 pinion gear
  • Tiburon frame
  • Jigmaster-compatible power handle

Quote from: Aiala on August 10, 2016, 03:04:54 PM
...Wai, how come you chose a CF under the gear instead of Delrin?   :)...

I hadn't yet asked Dawn if she had any.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

Quote from: coastal_dan on August 11, 2016, 02:11:40 PM
Sweet!  Really nice little reel.
They sure are.
Amazing of the size of fish that I've seen brought in by that little reel in the past.
Wai suggestion on the pinion was a great one.

Aiala, those look nice, a red and blue and you pretty much have it covered :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

These little Monofils dress up so nice...I gots ta git me one! ;D I don't know why I still see that little gear as feeble. I've seen folks catch some sizable fish on 209s and 155s...even Peerless 9s, 109s, and 180s. Excellent tutorial! 8)

P.S. Aiala...your Monofil hotrods look great!!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~