makaira 80w

Started by tacklerat, October 17, 2015, 12:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacklerat

Hi guys, just a quick question in regard to the 80w makaira. I am hearing an extra clicking noise coming from the reel when the ratchet is off while winding the reel. Is this just the double dog clutch and normal? Thanks for any feedback on this in advance. Also have the 50w too which doesn't make this same clicking sound.thanks
Regards Tacklerat

SoCalAngler

Are you saying you hear a clicking noise when turning the handle with the reel out of gear? If that is what your talking about yes that noise should be the anti reverse pawls clicking against the ratchet which make the anti reverse work. The pawls are spring loaded and make this sound and there is no anti revere clutch/roller bearing in these reels. Though it should be the same as the 50. Maybe the 50 has more grease on the pawls, ratchet and such which can reduce the clicking sound.

Oh and by the way nice yellowtail in your avatar.

tacklerat

Hi SoCalAngler, when the reel is in gear there is an extra clicking sound when winding or retrieving line. Quite pronounced as if it's hitting the inside body of the reel. Love my makairas. Thanks for the reply mate.

SoCalAngler

Well time to open it up and take a look. It does not sound (no pun intended) like the reel is working correctly.

Okuna has good customer service and will make things right if you bought the reel new and/or will help you trouble shoot the reel if you bought it used and can't seem to find the problem.

Without seeing the reel and hearing the issue it is very hard to trouble shoot.

tacklerat

Thanks bud. I think you are right. appreciate your input.
Regards Tacklerat. :)

tacklerat

Found the culprit, just as previously mentioned. Anti reverse was just flapping around doing nothing. One of them anyway Re tweaked spring for tension and ok now. Seems a weakness of the design compared to shimano tiagra and talica reels. This surprised me. Lucky there was 2 when I caught this the other week. Been a hot bite going on for months in southern Australia.

madday

nice catch there mate... i couldn't be happier with my makairas too.....  ;D

tacklerat

Thanks madday. Cheers mate.