Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

That's a keeper black 114H for sure. Spotting them can be tough with lighting and photo taking but when you find the real deal it sure feels good.
Enjoy
Dom

Maxed Out

I agree with Dom. Most the time it'll be dark maroon when it looks black because of bad lighting in pics.

Nice find Chris, and replacing the spool will be easy if you so desire

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Ted that brings me to a question. I have ordered new old stock spools before and what I received was not a good match. The spool finish was more textured. The originals are fairly smooth. I think what I ordered came in a white penn box.
Its hard to tell before buying. What color box should i look for in a replacement spool?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

RowdyW

I've seen older spools in green 2 piece boxes made of heavier material.            Rudy

Maxed Out

I'm sure someone on the forum will have your cortect spool. The early dark maroon reels had same smoother textured spool

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Here's a early 49 just arrived today
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

broadway

That's a clean "149" for sure.  If it was used it must've been freshwater.
Won't take much to clean that one up and shelf her.
Good find,
Dom

Penn Chronology

That 149 looks kind of NOS... A real beauty.

Alto Mare

Gorgeous reel, Chris! These don't get lots of love from many, one day they will regret it. :)

Enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Quote from: broadway on October 28, 2018, 05:01:00 AM
That's a clean "149" for sure.  If it was used it must've been freshwater.
Won't take much to clean that one up and shelf her.
Good find,
Dom
x2,,,great find ;D

Bill B

Good looking reel.  That narrow series of reels do not get the attention they deserve.  I use a 49 for deep drops and love it.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

so, where is ray (superhook) these days?  he hasn't logged in since summer.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

crud.   hard to keep track of things sometimes.  john, thanks for the reminder......

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26341.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Ray is certainly missed.  I know I miss him chiming in on these threads.  He had so much valuable info that he could break down, dissect,  and simplify for we, amateur collectors.
Hope you're doing well, Mike.  Ray was quite a loss.
Warmest regards/ RIP Ray,
Dom

foakes

Yes,

We learn much history from some of these fellows like Ray, Mike, Ted, Dom, and many others.

Feels sort of like a "Missing Man Formation" flyover without Ray.

We need to appreciate each other — while we can.

At some point, we will be the Missing Man.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.