Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis one arrived today. I actually thought I would never find one.

It is not that they are hard to find, you are simply shopping on the wrong continent. To find a 49A you should be shopping in Africa.

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhat are the main differences within the Mariner series? I have a 49 and a 149. I know the drags aren't the same  Roll Eyes and the 49 has a reverse lever (might not be the right term), and the A is that African one I think. What is the story on the 349? Are they all red? Maybe it is a wide reel?

Many questions in a few sentences. The tall series always confuses people in the beginning. The first ones were the 49, 149 and 249. They were introduced before WW II. The 349 was much more refined and much closer to a Big Game than the other three. The 349 was made in Red, maroon and black. You are correct about the 49 "A" being an export model headed for Africa, they were never marketed in the USA, so they are kind of hard to find in the United States. Here is a page form the 1978 catalog.

The 249 was a Bakelite winch aka Knuckle Buster. It was discontinued a long time ago.

The Second lever on the head plate is known as a Convertible Drag. Basically, when yo use that lever you can control the reel by back reeling. It can also be used for letting out line when trolling, instead of releasing the free spool lever. Not everyone likes that option, so Penn offered the 349 model with or without it.

JoseCuervo

Thanks! That catalog info is great and explains things well.  8)

1badf350

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 23, 2018, 07:54:18 AM
QuoteThis one arrived today. I actually thought I would never find one.

It is not that they are hard to find, you are simply shopping on the wrong continent. To find a 49A you should be shopping in Africa.

I read somewhere that the A marked headplate was pretty hard to find even in Africa. This reel also has a mix of parts with and without part numbers so I suspect its an early one like yours Mike.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

AC49

Hi Chris the Penn 49A you have is around 65 years old based on the mix of parts with and without numbers. Finding them is not that easy here in South Africa but one in that condition is pretty special.
Most of the Penn 49"A" reels I have found were well used for the purpose they were intended, but every now and again you find a reel like yours that will have a story of its own .... maybe you could share what you know about that treasure ? ;)

Nice find Chris and thanks for sharing !!

Regards
AC49
Cape Town
South Africa

1badf350

AC49,
The only thing I can really tell you about this real is that it came out of an estate sale in a town near Washington DC the area where I live. I was not present at the estate sale where it was bought. I got it from the people who were there.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

AC49

Thanks Chris was there a reel box or catalog to help to possibly identify the year it was made ?
Regards
AC49

1badf350

-Chris

Penn Chronology

I do not exactly how old my 49A actually is; but, it is the oldest one I have seen. I am saying that based on the handle on the reel. There are no parts numbers on any part of the reel and the counter weight on the handle has the cross bars. It is not a laminated counter weight. That would be very early 1950's or even earlier. Of course it could be an old handle that Penn simply put on the reel because it was in the parts bin. Still I have seen none earlier. I have seen 49A reels I very early 1950 two piece boxes. The reels marked with the "A" on the logo did not have markings on the box label.
             The South Africa owner of the reel had made a trip to Alaska and had a problem with the reel in Alaska. He brought the reel to a shop in Alaska to be repaired and never returned for the reel. I got the reel from the Tackle Shop owner in Alaska. I believe the reel to be all original parts.

AC49

Hi Mike have you checked the bracing or no bracing of the spool. These are 2 old Penn 49A configurations that I have come across and believe the 4 brace spool type on the right seems to be common to the original 49A reels that I have found.

Regards
AC49

1badf350

-Chris

AC49

Thanks Chris another piece of the puzzle nearly confirmed. Have you managed to check if both the sideplates have that hologram effect called "jeweling" ?

Regards
AC49

1badf350

A little newer but a hard find

-Chris

Swami805

Nice, Pum, the wheel knob and sooo clean. Looks new?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3