Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Rivverrat

You Go It !    That's a fine reel to get at a good price... Jeff

CooldadE

I got lucky with this one. A Washington Craigslist find. A New with a sad box black plate single lever 349H. The reel was 2 blocks away from a longtime friend in Bremerton. Arangments were made and a week later it was on my doorstep.

Cool

Rivverrat

the 349H is an unusually unique reel. Friend here gifted me one I'm looking foreword to using it on the beach in Texas... Jeff

Maxed Out

Quote from: AC49 on January 01, 2019, 09:20:24 AM
Happy 2019 to all !!
This just in from an epic road trip but very happy with the finds.
Here are just some .... all from 1 owner so I presume all original and correct but stranger things have happened ....

*Penn 49A
Deep Sea reel - Very good condition
Green 2 piece box – I have been told from about 1953 – 1959 ??
49A Super Mariner $22 (I cannot find a 49A USD$ price reference)
Boxed spare spool

**Penn 140 Squidder
Red sideplates
Green 2 piece box $25 - $25 price from 1950-61  (2 piece boxes from 1953 – 1959 ??)
Boxed spare spool

***Penn 500 Jigmaster
Green swirl handle
Boxed (not 500A)
Boxed spare spool

Regards AC49

Great finds and what's with those blue and white labels on a 1950's box ?? Must be specific to South Africa ¿?¿?

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AC49

[/quote]

Great finds and what's with those blue and white labels on a 1950's box ?? Must be specific to South Africa ¿?¿?

Ted
[/quote]

Hi Ted I believe the label color has simply faded over the years. Here is the 49A spare spool box from same find. Once the label was carefully removed you can see that "blueish" color at the bottom. Strange that somewhere in South Africa they used a Penn Delmar 285M box from the 50's but the 49A spare spool fits snug.

Regards
AC49

milne

That is some awesome finds there AC49,
  Well done !

Col

AC49

Thanks Col

The only boxed 49A with A on sideplate I have found was in the black box on the left. Mike C suggested that maybe that was the only box at the time that was available for the SA market. I have managed to find all in the pictures but obviously the 49A box with the 49A reel with A on the sideplate continues to elude me but I'm not giving up yet !!!

Regards
AC49

Maxed Out

Sweet lineup of 49a boxes.....and thanks for sharing

Ted

Maxed Out

1940's all original non numbered 16/0. Just a quick wipedown and ready for display.....a tough find in any condition, but this one has me pinching myself to make sure it isn't just a dream.  ;)

I am tapped out from Christmas, just like a lot of others.....so I used a technique I learned from watching Popeye as a kid..... I will gladly pay tomorrow for a reel today  ;D ;D

Ted

CooldadE

Wow! That is one clean 16/0... I trying to figure out how to display my recently acquired 14/0. I've seen some C shaped clear acrylic Plinths that look good. I might have to go to Tap Plastics and see what they would charge to make them...

Cool

54bullseye

Early bird gets the worm !!!  Nice reel Ted !    John Taylor

thorhammer

Quote from: CooldadE on January 11, 2019, 10:15:02 PM
Wow! That is one clean 16/0... I trying to figure out how to display my recently acquired 14/0. I've seen some C shaped clear acrylic Plinths that look good. I might have to go to Tap Plastics and see what they would charge to make them...

Cool

You can cut Lexan with a jigsaw on slow and bend as you wish with heat gun. I replace my own boat windshields to height i like as such.

Daron here is the  acrylic plinth master as well as the big gun builder.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Darin Crofton

Super cool, Ted, congrats on a great score!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?