Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

That 16/0 is beautiful Ted...great score! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Wow Ted, where did you find that beauty?

AC49

Amazing find Ted  :o
The reel is over 70 years old and still looks unfished .... maybe the Penn collection group started earlier than we think  ;)
Thanks for sharing !!

Regards
AC49

Penn Chronology

That is an amazing 16/0. The only weird thing is that spool spindle pin. Very A B Normal.............

milne

That is an absolute beauty Ted, Wow.

I've mainly been concentrating on Pre war Penn reels since I got serious a couple of months ago,
But Since my boat has been in rebuild mode, I haven't been fishing much in the last two years.
Your beautiful 16/0 prompted me to dig out all my Senators today which I've had for over 25 years,  A quick stock take showed I had
6-7 senators, nothing really old,  3-4 4/0's a couple tricked, one being a LH model and  2-3 red and black 6/0's, I love those reels.
Even embarrasingly, I found a half finished 4/0 wide, still in strip down mode !!!!
These photo's of simply beautiful old Senators has sure sparked my interest, thanks for sharing.

Col

Donnyboat

Hi Ted, that 16/0 is the best yet, good find, last week for the first time I have ever seen a 16/0 advertized for sale in Australia, it looks to be 7.5 to 8 out of ten, will try to send photos when it arrives, it cost me AU $595.00 including postage, that is about US dollars 420.00 cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

Clearly not close to the same league as Teds reel. This is a el cheapo flea market buy this morning. Is that the correct handle?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

mo65

Chris...that may not be a mint 16/0...but it's a dandy find too!! Sailfishers that clean are very hard to find. That handle can certainly be considered correct, because it's a Penn accessory offered at that time. If you wanted the handle that came stock, you'll need a #24-49.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Maxed Out

Chris, is your sailfisher sporting a 3 piece chrome spool ??

The reason I ask is the sailfisher only had 3 piece spool in introductory year of 1953...... After that it had one piece cast bronze spool.

Either way, it's a nice addition to your Penn collection !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 12, 2019, 05:40:04 PM
Chris, is your sailfisher sporting a 3 piece chrome spool ??

The reason I ask is the sailfisher only had 3 piece spool in introductory year of 1953...... After that it had one piece cast bronze spool.

Either way, it's a nice addition to your Penn collection !!

Ted

Ted it appears so. Thats great info. I did not know that thank you.
-Chris

Darin Crofton

Great find, Chris, and a first year model too... ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Nice find Chris! The power handle was offered as an option and don't believe any of the reels came with it, but I 'm just guessing, I'm not a pro as some of the guys here. :-\

Thanks for sharing!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Ted,
   What can I say that others haven't already... where's the box?! :-*
In all seriousness, that is one beauty of a reel that has been lucky enough to find it's way into your hands.
Chris,  from the collector stand point it's really the only Sailfishes to own... nice find.
Well done gents,
Dom

Donnyboat

Ted & Chris, good people, deserve a few wins, you both fit the mold, good luck to both of you, & thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat