Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Crow

I told xjchad I would post a better pic of the "odd" spool that was in one of the 49's that "followed me home". It appears that the "flanges" are, maybe, stainless steel...they are thin metal, and non magnetic, but I didn't "scratch" them, to see if they are , maybe, brass. A "slight" hint of rusty residue, and a "lack of green", help make me think...stainless. There are large "spanner-type"  *nuts*, which appear to be threaded onto the steel "shaft arbor"...which is quite a bit larger in diameter than the shaft arbors on the "3-piece " spool I compared it to.
    Does anyone know what difference (besides color!) there is between the "brown plastic " (I'm guessing bakelite?), and the "black plastic" spools ? The "black ones" seem to be a "smoother" plastic, without the "porous" look of the brown ones...maybe some sort of fiberglass resin ?
   anyway, here's the pix:
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

When I get some "spare time", I'll dig out my spanner sockets, and "gently" see if those are, in fact, "nuts". Right now...since it seems the rain is over for a couple days, I have *about* 10,000 * (really !!) spent iris stalks to cut out of the beds.....all 4500 sq. ft. of them !! And, "she who must be obeyed" is giving me the "evil eye" for being a "couch potato", even as we speak !! :o
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

xjchad

Crow,
Thanks for the pictures!  That's definitely the spool I'd need, however they are probably scarce!  I'll keep looking, but  will probably have to use one of the others that I have.  Thanks again, very interesting!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

Somewhere on the site, I saw another 49 that had this same type spool....I think there was some discussion about it "maybe" being one of the "vented arbor" type spools....that was missing the vented cover. But, I don't think that's the case, as I had a cover (badly cracked, and broken) off one of those type, and the "hub and center arbor" on that one appeared to be "pot metal" and was badly corroded, with lots of "flaky white crud" on it.I think this is just "another type" of spool that Penn tried. I suppose they were constantly trying different things, either in an effort to "improve the product", or ,"improve the profit margin" !

Crow

I just saw these, on ebay....they aren't the same as I have, and appear to be a totally different spool than any I've seen. Hard to tell with the "paint job", but they might be candidates for "widening", too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-PENN-49-METAL-SPOOLS-CHROME-BRASS-PAINTED-WITH-BLACK-RUSTOLEUM/163727122107?hash=item261ee5

Crow

I received the "wide 49", today...and it was as nice..or even nicer...than the seller described ! I "wonder" about the service that he had done to it, though....thing was dry as a fart !  Just a bit of "oily residue" on the ends of the spool shaft, and tailplate bearing....and the original (I'm guessing) drags...one "brown", and two "black", brass washers, that show no signs of ever having "slipped". I decided, for the time being, anyway, to just "service" it, leaving everything "stock". It's too nice a reel (for me!) to take out on the water, so it will set on my shelf....at least until my resistance melts away, and I just can't stand it, anymore !!
   I "ebay mailed" the seller, and asked a few questions. He said his brother, who was working someplace in South Africa, at the time, sent it to him about 12 years ago. I asked about the possibility of his still having the box, paper work, ect,. and he told me he couldn't remember throwing it out, and would look for it.
   The only "thorn" I see is the handle lock screw....somebodies' screwdriver slipped ! As to the handle, itself, if the "power handle" isn't original, and a counter balanced handle is.....what type of knob would it have had ? Torpedo-type, or the flat, rubber knob ?

Maxed Out

Looks like it was never used.

Correct handle would be the #49 torpedo

Later models had rubber knob, but yours appears to be a vintage model. If you get the original box, that'll let us know if it should have torpedo or rubber knob. I would leave it as it is, unless you're going to fish it

Very few reels from South Africa ever make it to American soil. Very cool you found out some history on this one and hopefully you'll get the box too !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

I can't tell without seeing screw heads and a few other tell tales, but it sure does look new to me as well.
You scored nicely on that one.
Enjoy her,
Dom
PS- Sure hope you can get that box.

Crow

Thanks !!  The only screw head that appeared to ever having been "messed with", was the handle lock screw. Except for a few , slight "scratches"(so slight they "buffed off" with a dry rag), the chrome, spool, and end plates all look "perfect". The seller said he did have line on it, and had removed it, but I really doubt it was ever "fished"......nobody can be that careful ::).  I'll keep my eye out for a new, or nearly new, torpedo handle.

AC49

Hi Crow the handle lock screw #110-60 was used in many Penn reels like the Jigmasters and Senators so that's no problem. As for the handle I agree with Ted that the torpedo knob would be the most probable handle knob in this case. If you could show us the spool bracings it might make it easier. It could be the 6 star / 6 star with no raised bracings. If any there is any raised  bracings the spool could be older but that is also not an accurate date measurement.

As for the box it would be from the far right variety ..... as per picture below.

Regards
AC49

Crow

Here's a pic of the spool. I haven't heard back from the seller about the box......it probably went to the trash can :'(.

AC49

Hi Crow that spool, based on the bracing pattern would be from the later 49A reels and would be paired with the dark blue 49A box.

My opinion (and this is only based on the many 49A reels I have seen over the years) is that the first batch of spools contained no bracings, then the 4 bracings, then the 4 star bracings, then 6 star bracings and finally the 6 star with 1 raised section (like yours).

I think the amount of bracings would have had something to do with strength of the spool as time passed.

Enjoy your 49A reel !!

Regards
AC49

Crow

Maxed Out

Penn did change the webbing several times on the 49a spool. The 2 pictured by AC49 are the earliest versions (40's-early 50's). There are at least 5 different webbing designs that I know of on the 49a spools.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

In what year did Penn quit production of the 49A ?  Those two spools from 40's - 50's have the same "webbing" ...or LACK of webbing, that I've seen on the "regular" 49 (and 149) spools. And I'm sure you're correct about the design change ,that it was to correct the "monofilament breakage" problem.