Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

This one followed me home from Alabama, this spring...in a bag !  It was "gifted" to me by a fella' down there, and it was missing a chunk , or two, but didn't appear that it was ever used very much.....chrome in pretty decent shape, no "initials" scratched in the plates , side rings not broken, and, with a "tip of the Hat" to Rudy ;), I got it put together this afternoon ! I had a new set of the old, original drag washers, so, this thing is "stock", all the way. Thanks to Lee, I now have another to "soup up" for fishing....this one goes on my "shelf" !   Thanks, Guys !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Are those stock harness lugs ?? The holes look to be oblong in shape instead of round

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

Yeah, they are th ones that came with it....and the holes are round, I think it's just the angle of the camera that makes 'em look funny. I just took a couple others, and it's a "little" better, but it's hard o get "square" with the holes....any angle , at all, makes them look elliptical !?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Yep, it musta been camera angle. Either way you got a sweet 349h for nuttin'

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis one followed me home from Alabama, this spring...in a bag !  It was "gifted" to me by a fella' down there, and it was missing a chunk , or two, but didn't appear that it was ever used very much.....chrome in pretty decent shape, no "initials" scratched in the plates , side rings not broken, and, with a "tip of the Hat" to Rudy , I got it put together this afternoon ! I had a new set of the old, original drag washers, so, this thing is "stock", all the way. Thanks to Lee, I now have another to "soup up" for fishing....this one goes on my "shelf" !   Thanks, Guys !!

Great reels. There is something about the 349 that I always liked. Even better when they are a gift. The Wahoo Special upgrade always makes for an interesting project.

Crow

Here's a few I've acquired in the last couple weeks.....a couple from ebay, a couple from some "thrift shop", in Denver, Co. (thanks to a nephew), and one I traded a few iris plants for ! Certainly nothing special, or scarce, and none really in great shape, but, I've been needing some better spools, plates, and other "oddments" that I can't seem to locate anywhere....so, most will be "canabalized"
a Delmar, and a 209.......for parts

Crow

A nice little Berkeley spinner.....maybe a bail spring will get me fishing, this one ! And a "Live Bait Caster", which seems to be pretty fair shape ! I *think* it will clean up, pretty well.

Crow

A 2/0...not the sharpest reel, but, it was in "my price range" (cheap !!), so after a clean up, I'll have one in my "collection", and maybe, I'll get a chance for a better example, down the road?!

Crow

And then there are these two !! 113h, REAL crusty, but, maybe between them, and the few other parts I have laying around, I can build one that's worth having. I actually was looking for some parts, on ebay, and decided to make an offer on one of these , and it was accepted, so I got it for less than what a used bridge / sleeve was going to cost me (although the postage was more). The other, I guess I "overpaid" on, but,for $35, in my hand, I guess it could have been worse !

Maxed Out

Hi crow, those are good parts reel candidates......but you said none are anything special. I see a first year 209 with the unadjustable hex head worm drive bushing on the tail plate. That only came on 1st year of 209 production, which was somewhere around 1950

-Ted

Benni3

There great reels,,,,,, :D and you be surprised how good they will clean up,,,,,that 4/0 is great for fishing,,,, ;D

basto

The 2/0 looks good. A 3 position handle and looks like it has been lubricated regularly.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

RowdyW

Crow, both of those 113H's look like good candidates to have the desireable hardened steel main gears in them. Keep them matched to their original ss pinion gears for quieter & smoother running.      Rudy

Bill B

Crow, that 209 looks like a worthy candidate to bring back to showroom condition.  Like Rudy said, it's an early, if not first year.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

Thanks for the "heads up" about the 209, guys! Sounds like one I'd better "add' to my collection. Also, thanks for mentioning the gears, Rudy ! I've been "bit", once, by gear noise from an "unmatched set"....your warning ,probably, saved me from another "bite" !!