Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Been a while since I posted anything here. I snagged this one couple days ago. Not a steal but im happy with the condition.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Benni3

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Condition is fantastic...nice reel Chris!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Sharkb8

Penn Chronology

Tough to find in that kind of condition. The chrome on those cross bars was terrible, it starts to deteriorate fast. Beautiful reel.

54bullseye

Looks really nice Chris !  Your shelves must be getting pretty full up with BEAUTIFUL PENN REELS !  Keep it up.  John Taylor

Donnyboat

Nice find Chris, I brought one about 12 months ago, with a standup penn rod, full of braid AU $50.00 the lot, I was going through the city so I picked it up on the way.
      also can anyone tell me what would be a reasonable price for a 143 ocean city reel, it looks quite good. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

Just received my first Silver Beach....a "99". Got it pretty cheap (even for me !), but it does have some issues!  Not much corrosion, but, one ring is cracked / broken, and, it is TIGHT !! AR dog doesn't seem to be working, the "quick take a part" won't , and I'm suspecting some issue with either the gearing, or a spool rubbing problem....it has 4 locations that really "catch" as you turn it. A good soak , and some "wiggling" will hopefully get the "take a part" to work, then I can see just how bad things are, in there !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

I love the 99...it's one of Penn's greatest reels. That cracked ring is an indication the bakelite is swelled, probably what is holding the take apart side plate too. Holler if you get in a bind. 8)

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on October 24, 2019, 05:31:18 PM I love the 99...it's one of Penn's greatest reels.

What do you love about it Mo?

mo65

Quote from: nelz on October 24, 2019, 09:23:33 PM
Quote from: mo65 on October 24, 2019, 05:31:18 PM I love the 99...it's one of Penn's greatest reels.

What do you love about it Mo?

The size, the gearing, the "take apart" side plate, the variety of spools available, it's a very versatile reel.

Gobi King

$10 from a local gentleman, it belonged to his father
Has lead line on it, I need to take it off and switch the backing out of there is any
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Cuttyhunker

Had the frozen take apart side too, started with a single edge razor blade as a wedge between the frame and right plate just to get things moving with lots of penetrating oil, then to a slightly thicker utility knife blade as the wedge.  Can't go too big on the wedge as the side is twist locked into the frame.  Took a few days to come free, be patient and let the oil work. Cool old reel.
Doomed from childhood