Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

That's a nice, clean reel, Shibs !! And the price was right, too !

I got the 'take-a-part', apart....used a similar approach...squirted it with WD40....trying to get it "in the join', and worked it a bit with a knife blade. There was a lot of dirt inside, and that's what had it bound up, I think. The "catching" as it rotates is either a "tweeked" plastic spool, or the 'frame has been "tweeked" out of square......no time now , to go further on it....another "spring time job" ;)....so many reels, so little time ::)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

milne

I already showed this one a while back, but I have ended up catching up on cleaning all my new reels, with this one being my last one to do.
The reel has heaps of wear Patina and I kinda like that. Everything else apart from the spool and posts came up really nice, so I was quite happy, if only this reel could talk and tell us what journeys she has been on. The box has come up great, I wont be using the box to store the reel, so that will prolong it's life a fair bit longer.
The 9/0,  what a great reel to work on, my only other is a very early first generation that I only opened up for a peak, so this is the first one I have got my hands dirty with,,, and I loved working on her. Probably because everything's bigger on it, that certainly helps, rather than trying to get my fat fingers around the smaller reel parts  ;D
I gotta say, I have to now add one of these 9/0's to my fishing artillery, what a great sized reel !!!
I sat there after cleaning this one up, and pondered, I still haven't put up a shelving system to store all my vintage reels, that's gotta happen now !!  I had a count up and I've near got 70 vintage reels now !!!!!    The spare room where all things "reels" happens, is now bursting at the seams and room is at a premium.....  There in one corner lies my unfinished "modding" projects,  2- 113's, a Squidder, all Tiburon up grade projects sitting in limbo,,,, Now, with the thoughts or rather the need to do the same with a 9/0.
I could seriously go in to the room, shut the door and not emerge for a week, with all the "to do" tasks I have.
Any one else Suffer from the same " disease" I obviously have    ;D
Any how, a picture of my cleaned up 49 9/0................

Col

54bullseye

Nice job Col looks great !!   John Taylor

Crow

Great job on the clean-up, Col !  I understand about  the need for "more shelves, too ::)! We plan on storing the RV "down south" this next season, instead of bringing home with us, in the spring....that will open a BIG pace for reels !! ;D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Really nice job on the 9/0 Col, they are a nice size reel, I have a very old 9/0 & a old 6/0 with brass bushes on my boat all the time, they are the roughest reals I own, but work really good, I love the work are doing on restoring the old bozes, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gobi King

Crow, that is good new.

Col, good job on the 9/0
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Swami805

That 9/0 cleaned up nice, box looks good too!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

milne

Thanks guys,  I really love making these old girls shine.
        The Senator was in really good condition when I received it, it had been well looked after, but together the box and reel takes a special place on my shelf, my first light house box.
   ( when I get around to putting shelves up.  ;D)
The addiction continues....

Col

Cuttyhunker

Early in the month I posted this sad 209 greenie that came in a bulk trade, using a donor 209 thanks to the ORCA housecleaning last summer I think the old girl is
looking pretty good.  Sadly the original red knob had the sleeve frozen to the post and busted loose from the crank at the base.
Doomed from childhood

Crow

milne

Oh Wow,  That has come up real sweet, great job !!

Col

Sharkb8

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

Sharkb8

Got this 4/0 the other day for $47 posted ,very happy with it but the rear cross bar in poor condition.

Kim

Crow

Nice chrome on it !  Price was fair, as well.