Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

broadway

Very cool!
Col, PM me your email address and I'll send you a photo of my lever... same as yours. Sure would like to know what that means?
Best,
Dom

milne

Hi Dom,  Will do......
  It's getting more interesting as I take the parts out of the vinegar soak.
Unless someone tried to do some alterations to the Koph clutch style that was used, I seriously think I could have made a better job of making it.
The post has been hammered- "peened on to the bridge plate, similar to the rivot on the tail plate, someone has tried to elongate the central hole where the spool gear goes through and made a terrible job of it. I would have thought these would have been made, by a press, punching out the shape of the bridge plate, then the edges may have been cleaned up afterwards before assembly, well this one looks to be honestly hand fashioned to fit, with a difference compared to the later 33 Seaford, with a single tight fitting hole for the eccentric.
I'll clean it all up, and take some photo's of the reel along with another later Koph type bridge assembly. It has actually been damaging the head plate because of the butchers job of elongating the gear hole.
interesting

Col

broadway

Hmmm, I would think Otto could do better. Interesting indeed.
Looking forward to some more pics of the broken down reel when cleaned up.
Thanks and feel free to post the pic I send.
Best
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteFound another marking on the back side of the head plate lever, doesn't appear to have any other parts stamped.
     However, the reel seat, after a vinegar bath along with the other parts, appears to me to be chrome plated !!.
  The spool and posts seem to be standard German sliver........

The free spool lever is important. It is the tell that explains the stampings. When parts are marked like that it means those parts belong together. Usually those kinds of markings are done so you would have to take the reel apart to see them. They are assembly marks, so the assembler can keep fitted parts with the proper reel.

The stand being chrome plated probably means it was taken from another reel, either when it was made or later on. The Sea Ford would be Nickel plated on brass. Really doubt if they used German Silver on a Sea Ford.

Penn Chronology

Quotet's getting more interesting as I take the parts out of the vinegar soak.
Unless someone tried to do some alterations to the Koph clutch style that was used, I seriously think I could have made a better job of making it.
The post has been hammered- "peened on to the bridge plate, similar to the rivot on the tail plate, someone has tried to elongate the central hole where the spool gear goes through and made a terrible job of it. I would have thought these would have been made, by a press, punching out the shape of the bridge plate, then the edges may have been cleaned up afterwards before assembly, well this one looks to be honestly hand fashioned to fit, with a difference compared to the later 33 Seaford, with a single tight fitting hole for the eccentric.
I'll clean it all up, and take some photo's of the reel along with another later Koph type bridge assembly. It has actually been damaging the head plate because of the butchers job of elongating the gear hole.
interesting

Interested in seeing the inside of the head plate. Here is the bridge that should be in your head plate. What you are explaining does not sound like it was done by Penn.

milne

Hi Mike,  My bad, Yes, nickle plated.
        Below is the head plate of a later waffle type Seaford and next to it is the bridge out of the new Domed Seaford.
    Half of it looks professionally done, but you can see the butchering in the large hole and the single hole at the top.
    Did they make and design these in house themselves ?  I believe it was only used in the 33 Seaford and the Bayside reels, before being dropped in the 34 models ( as per a book I read  ;D ), someone I suppose had to make the first one,  but not this bad surely !.
  Looking at it closely, the post end, looks as though it has been punched out nicely, it's the other half which looks as though it's been hacked and fashioned by a 10 year old, and the Post end, has been "peened" with a hammer.........

My guess is that the bridge plate is original, but something has gone wrong with the reel and someone has gone in an hacked it about, badly.

Col

broadway

Mike,
 Can you tell us more about the assembler's marks?  
Did they mark reels with anything other than "001"?
Why would they only mark one part or two parts if they wanted to keep a reel "whole"?
What do they actually mean?
Why not just use the number "1" instead of "001" ...are there other numbers like "002" or "099"?
Thanks in advance... I need more!
Dom

mo65

Col...you are building a fantastic collection...great find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Hope you guys don't mind, or maybe someone can pop this into the appropriate section to post.
I have an interesting parts comparison, to the domed Seaford, as per previous posts.
Now for the life of me I can't seemed to post a photo and narrate underneath, then do the same again in the same post, so they will have to be separate.
Anyhows, for those that are interested.

Below is a comparison of the two bridge plates.
The actual size is perfectly the same, but it has differences.
The first one is the central gear hole, the later Seaford is a much bigger hole, the top is different in regards to the domed specimen, has a single hole, where as the later one has two, to allow the eccentric to slip in, then push up and stay in position.
The later plate, has a single hole and a elongated hole, to allow the bridge plate to stay fixed on one side and pivot on the other, to go out of gear.
The domed Seaford, has two elongated holes/slots, different sizes as well.
note, I cleaned up the edges this morning from the mess that was left around the gear hole.
 plus the later bridge, I couldn't for the life of me remove the main gear, so I left it.

milne

...... This was the interesting part.
    The differences in the bridge plates, would mean the eccentric from the later bridge, would not fit in the older domed Seaford.
   So, this is what they did,  notice the spring hole in a slightly different postion as well.
  The top of the eccentric has been lathed down, you might be able to pick up the machine marks on the face of it,( sorry, photo's aren't very clear).
  Which has left a ridge for the bridge plate to sit on. the second photo shows the thickness difference and also the post ? has no lip on it like the later Seaford, hence no need for 2 holes as per the later one.
   I think the hole position difference between the two, is that the whole bridge plate slides down, rather than one side on the later one, dunno !.
  Will have to look closely when I reassemble.

milne

And lastly, if I haven't bored you to tears, the eccentric lever, which is slightly off set compared, and does seem to have a longer " return knob"  for want of a better term and no coin edge, compared to the later.
The handles are the same, except a narrower counter weight than the later ( same as my domed SeaHawke)   and of course the stamp markings.
So there you have it, looking forward to cleaning the rest up, assembling and maybe it may function a tad better than before, with dags on the bridge actually digging in to the head plate and making it really sticky.
I know someone has tried to modify or fix something inside, ie trying to file the gear hole in the bridge bigger, but someone doing that quality of work, certainly couldn't machine the face of the eccentric down as it has been. It seems in everyway, the same Bridge plate as the later, maybe this was the first attempt at making this type of bridge plate work in the reel, hence the different hole slots........... interesting any hows....

Col

milne

............And, before I out way my welcome,  all cleaned up and re assembled......
       first one is a shot of the bridge plate installed, notice bridge plate screws cut off to size.
 the reel, apart from the gouging on both plates, came up really good. It has great free spool, loud clicker, everything works brilliantly as it should be.
 The spring thru the eccentric, when disengaged, goes under the bridge plate, but that milled face surface with that ridge left around the post, gives clearance underneath for the spring end to pass, although it was gouging the underside of the bridge plate a tad, so a wee file down fixed that.
 Guess we wait until another emerges from the dark and compare. It will still add to my Seaford collection, even if it is just for the dome button that I purchased it for...............
        Dom, will try and post up your photo after work........

Col

photo's do not show up the heavy scratching over both tail and head plates......

milne

Here is a photo Dom wanted put up.

milne

......And Dom's second photo.......

oc1

Quote from: milne on November 26, 2019, 03:11:06 AM

photo's do not show up the heavy scratching over both tail and head plates......

Maybe the plates had oxidized and had that chalky look so someone decided to sand them.
-steve