Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

I found an old Squidder and I'm curious of it's age? I don't see a number on the seat, but there's some chrome loss where the number would be. There's a # on the handle, but not the star. It's my first black plate Squidder and mechanically is sound, so I'm pleased with the $20 price to
own such a cool little piece of Penn history!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Maxed Out

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on February 11, 2020, 06:58:19 PM
Better check that- the 320 fits the 113H size gear sleeve, Type "B". The 310 fits the smaller Type "A" sleeve of the 210, Jiggy and a hundred other small Penn's. It's an "S" for stainless- not a 5.

Very happy with the switch to 24S-310's on my Mag 10's.

Ruh Roh!

I just got back from the post office  :D

Anthony, if that handle doesn't fit, save it for another project.  The clamp and hardware should be good though  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Lingwendil

Thank you! Worst case I just have to buy a reel to go with it (oh darn  ;D )
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Maxed Out

That handle would be perfect on a pro gear 545. It's jigmaster 501 with 113h guts
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Lingwendil

Quote from: thorhammer on February 11, 2020, 03:16:39 PM
It's already magged- it's a 210 Mag :)

No magnet here :)

Also, started a thread on this reel, for anyone interested-

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30408.0
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Gfish

Checked Mystic parts, the 10 has the mag. control, not the 210.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

I picked up some reels, yesterday, at the "campground garage sale".......the Gal wanted $4 a piece, for them....except for the Shimano....that was $5. 209's aren't my favorite Penn reels, but I was happy to get the "fresh water" seat that was on one of them. Both spinners were bound up with line, under the spools, and all 3 of the Penns are drier than a fart, but are pretty "clean", as far as corrosion goes. I *should* have gotten the other two reels she had in the box, too....a pair of Garcia 5000's.....but decided to pass.......lots of boat rash on them, although the red one would have looked pretty good in my colleection :-\. Maybe I'll see if the gal still has them, and make her a "counter offer" :-\ ::).
    Anyway, $21 bucks for these 5 seemed a pretty good buy :-\. I'd been wanting a "bigger" bait feeder reel , and now I have one :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

Hope you checked the rear view mirror on the way home because you stole them....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

after all these years, i still have not found a good way to clean off all of that patina.  i've finally give up and i just use the wire brush wheel on the bench grinder.  it's a medium wire brush, all worn, and greasy to boot!  it leaves a matte finish, tears off all of the corrosion, there is plenty of exposed brass but the surface has a thin layer of grease on it.  there are just too many reels stacked up to take the time to polish them.  it's not the best solution, but it is fast...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

milne

It's amazing how this bloke just keeps popping up   ;D.
Slid my new no 14 catalogue out of it's plastic sleeve and there ya go.
A bit of nostalga here........

Col

broadway

I bet his right hand man, Mike C. Wrote that.
Ray, was the best of the best and the reason why we as a group are more knowledgeable than most.
Miss that guy,
Dom
PS- nice catalog.

mo65

That's awesome Col, I'd hang onto that for sure! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Quote from: mo65 on February 17, 2020, 06:05:06 PM
That's awesome Col, I'd hang onto that for sure! 8)

Hi Mo, hope all's well mate.

Yes, i shall hang on to this, I mean, a penned note by a famous author,   it may end up more valuable than the cataogue  ;D.

Col