Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Here are 3 more Penn conventionals in my collection.

These two 209 have been taken very good care of by someone.  Both feel ready to fish, brakes, anti-reverse, and clicker are working.  Both are very smooth turning.  Actually the 209 with the green handle knob isn't the more modern black 209, it's just darker burgundy than the other.

And the Monofil No. 27 may have never been spooled with line or fished.  If it has been previously used, it's most likely been in an ultrasonic cleaner.

BTW, what's the difference between the Monofil No. 27 and the Baymaster 180?  They look identical other than handle knob.

Crow

Nice, clean looking examples, Festus !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 29, 2020, 08:33:21 PM
BTW, what's the difference between the Monofil No. 27 and the Baymaster 180?  They look identical other than handle knob.

Nice lookin' reels Chester. There really is no difference between the 180 Baymaster and the Monofil 27. Early on the handles were different, but later on even the handle was the same piece. The 180 had a longer life...but the 27 had prettier colors for a few years. About the only difference I can find is some 180s have a lighter freshwater stand. I've never understood that...what the heck is a "freshwater" stand? It's supposed to fit better on a "freshwater" rod. I've never found a "saltwater" stand that wouldn't fit my rods. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Ah yes, the monofil reels. A brilliant marketing ploy to sell a lot of reels advertised as tighter spool tolerance for mono down to 10# test, but in reality the monofils were just a rebranded beach master 155,160,180 and were rebadged as 25,26, &27. Both stayed in production for several years until the excitement of monofil line faded away, but beach masters lived on as they did prior to when monofil existed
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Benni3

Gfish

Quote from: Benni3 on March 01, 2020, 04:20:41 AM
Very nice looking reels,,,,,,, ;D

Yup.
With the Monofil, what would be the best way to tell if it's really brand-new-never-lined or fished old stock, or has been ultrasonicly cleaned?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Chester, they look great nice & clean, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Maxed Out

Ok, so here is a bit of an oddball

It is the smallest senator, 1he 1/0

The 1/0 shares the same spool with a jigmaster 501, but of course the jigmaster is stronger and faster, but what 1/0 lacks in speed and strength, it makes up for in sex appeal !!

This 1/0 has non typical stainless spool with polished flanges. Click on the pic for high definition
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

That's a nice one Ted ! I've been bidding on them on the bay (not that nice, though!), and they always seem to bring more than I care to spend......that tells me they are pretty *popular* !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 01, 2020, 11:28:14 PM
The 1/0 shares the same spool with a jigmaster 501, but of course the jigmaster is stronger and faster, but what 1/0 lacks in speed and strength, it makes up for in sex appeal !!

I'm not sure about the Jigmaster being stronger than the 1/0...at least in stock forms. The 1/0 has more rings and no Take-Apart sideplate. That little 1/0 makes a killer catfishing reel, the slower gearing is perfectly suited. Your 1/0 looks mint...what a beauty! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Was there ever solid frames made for the 1/0 ?

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 02, 2020, 12:59:41 AM
Was there ever solid frames made for the 1/0 ?
Yes, I have a Tiburon frame on one of mine, the same one used for a Jiggy 501. There's other options, you could put a Newell 501 kit, Ted's 501 width seat and Pro Challenger bars, could use a 99 width Newell kit and spool, 500 width Tib or Accurate frame and spool etc etc etc . . .
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on March 02, 2020, 12:34:25 AM
Quote from: Maxed Out on March 01, 2020, 11:28:14 PM

I'm not sure about the Jigmaster being stronger than the 1/0...at least in stock forms. The 1/0 has more rings and no Take-Apart sideplate. That little 1/0 makes a killer catfishing reel, the slower gearing is perfectly suited. Your 1/0 looks mint...what a beauty! 8)
Good point Mo!
If we're talking stock, I have to agree with you, but I think Ted was talking about the upgraded version.
A beefed up Jigmaster with all available goodies is much stronger than the 1/0.

Gorgeous reel Ted!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Very clean 1/0,,,,, :D like that spool,,,,, ;D

festus

Nice 1/0.  My favorite Senators are the smaller ones.