Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

twotone

Blind us again Ted. Open the door of your Mcgee's closet. Plenty more will fall out.
twotone

twotone

Kinda fond this one. This one is from England. I don't think it was made for the states . Please someone tell us about the history of this reel .
twotone

festus

This is my first Penn spinner.  Bought it as a parts reel, advertised as hard to turn and bail didn't function.  Took about 5 seconds after opening the box to analyze the bail situation--bent bail release arm.  The bail arm might also need tweaked a fraction of an inch.  I figured if the reel arrived with an intact crosswind block l'd be happy.

I could only find the 720Z schematic.  But the schematic said all parts are interchangable except for the bail arm and bail wire.

Looks like I will probably get this reel back to fishing.  But I see a slight potential problem I'll make a separate about post later.

mo65

You'll love that little sweetie Chester! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: twotone on March 02, 2020, 06:26:05 AM
Kinda fond this one. This one is from England. I don't think it was made for the states . Please someone tell us about the history of this reel .

the gold tone and general reel resembles to shimano calcutta TE reels
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

I ran into one of these a few years ago. Appeared to be a quality piece. Was not in the same great shape as yours & a quick look back then showed Penn had no parts so I passed. They were made by Jarvis Walker using the Penn name / label... Jeff

festus

That reel reminds me of the Penn 910-940 Levelmatic series from what I can see. Nice one.

festus

Here's the first true Greenie I ever owned, a 712.  Everything works, a/r, drag, click ratchet, and bail.  But the handle is difficult to turn.  It definitely needs serviced.

mo65

That's a beauty Chester! My 712z was really stiff too when I got it...excellent condition but very stiff. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

I recently picked up this very fine example of a pre war model 149 without star drag.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Benni3

That reel is clean,,,,,,, :D great fine,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Rivverrat

Chris , fellas help me out so was this 149 a direct drive ?  Hows this work with no star ?

Deepennz

Hi Chris,
Well done - a lovely reel!! It's interesting to see the spool doesn't have the ridge at the arbour/flange join.
Does it have a waffle or 'kiss' clicker?

Cheers
Martin