Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Those are certainly Abu's that Penn made under license, the similarity is nearly identical. Very interesting, a first for me.

festus

Makes me wonder if any of those parts are interchangable with similar Abus.

Benni3

This came in today shipping was slow,,,,,, ::) but that's ok,,,, ;) the green knob is psychedelic,,,,,,,, :o I didn't have a 25 mono,,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

Looks to be in pretty good shape, Benni !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Them Monofils with the psychedelic green knobs are cool.  A while back I scored a 27 with one.

Maxed Out

This is the senator that "never was"

It is in between a 3/0 and a 2/0, or in modern day terms is 99 width. This reel actually has a 99 seat. Penn missed the boat on the small midsize senator. All the parts were already in their bins. 65 spool and posts, and 99 seat. A modern day seaboy 190 spool also fits. Thanks Mo for that info
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 24, 2020, 06:42:47 PM
This is the senator that "never was"

So true...and why they never made the black 3/0 that width is a mystery. Being that they changed the 112H to the "99" width demonstrates that the public liked it. Joe's(Decker) posting about making a hot rod 2/0 got me thinking about my "Senator that never was". Joe was the one who hooked me up with the Silverbeach 99 stand and the Seaboy 190 spool. This size reel has such a great feel. The only drawback is the speed, but with the 149 main/113H pinion it makes a very usable speed. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

nelz

My first Mariner, a knuckle-bustin' beauty!  ;D

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

A friend of said he "heard" I work on fishing reels, of course I said "sometimes" 🤔  He then handed me this 500s and asked if I could do anything with this mess...said he bought it from H&M landing in San Diego.....so far it needs a gear sleeve, drags and a dog spring....Bill

thorhammer

what a mess- but you got this one Billy-boy! Is it his or yours now? The S is one of my favorite reels....

I seem to recall us making 12 of those gold cans empty :) Hope you and family are hanging in there!!!

mo65

I zoomed on those pics Bill...the chrome looks pretty good...most of the ugly appears to be dried on WD-40. I'm betting you'll amaze your friend. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Yup John emptied quite a few 🍻🍻🍻. Mo you're correct lots of dried up WD-40, grease and fish parts....my buddy is fishing off Catalina Island right now on his 55' trawler/live aboard with two 114H's and a TLD25 I just serviced for him.....he needed them asap (isn't that always the case?!?)   One of the 114's needs a drag stack and gear sleeve but fishable in its present state.  This 500s will be going back to him on Monday......looking to trade some reel repair for a cruise on the trawler 😉😉. It looked like this reel was engraved with H&M but upon closer inspection has the initials "MGM" and "1967" on the side plate and "MGM" on the stand.....shame was thinking of trading him for a regular 500......Bill

ReelFishingProblems

Been able to put some work in (also finally able to get white vinegar)
The 12/0 cleaned up pretty good. The spool has quite a bit of corrosion. Was able to get rid of the green, but I'm left with lots of little spots.
The 500S was a nice little $18 reel, and cleaned up nicely.