Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Alto Mare

Great deal!... Looks like a stainless steel spool, enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelFishingProblems

I didn't realize it was stainless steel.

Maxed Out

[/quote]

The 501 stainless spool is more commonly found on a 1/0.

Most are brushed finish, and some are polished stainless
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

The 50th catalog shows many reels came with the deluxe stainless steel spools:
146M
150M
155M
160M
500SM
501M
...and there are more models as well...
I have a few 155 size...

As Ted has mentioned, some come with brushed finish Nd some with polished finish.
I would be interested in the brushed finish .

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelFishingProblems

Sal, that is great to know. Thanks for sharing that.

Ted, I could use that spool as mirror to shave

ReelFishingProblems

Thank you Randy for the sweet spool!

Crow

I've been lusting after a Penn 2000, ever since Benni posted his several months back. This one showed up...pretty nice shape, with paperwork (no box), and I grabbed it....then, a few weeks ago, there was a Penn 1000, and, well, A guy kinda' should have BOTH, shouldn't he ?  Probably paid more than I should have......reels + shipping came $63 .
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Sorry about that my friend,,,,, ;) don't want to be the pusher,,,,, :D hehe,,,but they are very cool reels and way ahead of there time,,,, 8) after 40years,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Swami805

Have you fished with one Bennie? Anybody Tried those 2000's?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

Quote from: Swami805 on April 07, 2020, 05:18:25 AM
Have you fished with one Bennie? Anybody Tried those 2000's?
Nope,,,,,but that's not a bad idea,,,,,, ;D

Swami805

I have a NIB one but I only fish salt water, I don't think it would hold up very well. Don't think I'm up to taking it apart, there's got to be a million little parts in there

Penn Chronology

I have one NIB. I have been told the internal complexity of this reel makes it very difficult to service. Good idea to not take it apart. Just keep it clean and oiled. They are an interesting piece of Penn history.

Swami805

I think if Penn made the 1000 more robust and larger like a tranx 500 they might be on to something

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on April 07, 2020, 04:43:19 PMI have a NIB one but I only fish salt water, I don't think it would hold up very well. Don't think I'm up to taking it apart, there's got to be a million little parts in there

Holy mackeral, I just looked at the schematic... there's more parts just on the gear sleeve alone than on entire reels!  :o ::)