Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

Ever since seeing a guy fishing one on Youtube ("Fish your way" channel) I've been after one. After a bit of research I think they are unique and effective reels that are worth adding to the collection and fishing from time time with one.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

thorhammer

Hey Ling, the spools are the same as Surfmaster 200 / Beachmaster 155. Mystic has the original plastic spool, but with a disclaimer that though NOS, they may well be brittle- which could also be the case with a plastic x-Master spool. However, if you wish to cast the thing every so often, i believe I have a plastic spool you can hold N/C, welcome to it, unless you want the NOS for display. If you are going to use mono I can put some dacron backing on it for you and you can just pop it in. PM me your address if so; I have parts to send to Randy and Chad in the next day or two and will get it out as well.

Paying forward from Joe and Harry, who sent me parts a couple years ago when I went through all my X-Masters.

John

Lingwendil

Thank you! I'll send you a PM shortly!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on April 16, 2020, 05:01:50 PM
  Mystic has the original plastic spool, but with a disclaimer that though NOS, they may well be brittle- which could also be the case with a plastic x-Master spool. 

I saw that disclaimer too. I think those spools will be fine if backing is used under the mono and not wound on too tight. I use the plastic spools a lot. No problems yet. Spooling mono without backing at a high tension will pop it...like a lot of folks found out...even years ago when they were brand new. I noticed Mystic also still has the aluminum spool for the 350...that's great! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

I'd much rather put that L spool in a 200 but that's just me :)

Lingwendil

I'm not hot on non-levelwind reels yet, maybe that will change this year...

foakes

Those 350's are a very high quality reel -- plus they work very well to level the line retrieval.

Folks who actually use these reels get spoiled pretty quickly.

The mechanism that controls the heavy spiral bar is comparable to what a clock-maker would build.  

Plus, the quality and simplicity of the Spiral level-wind  components is top rate.

There are about 8 parts to the LW assembly that are unique to this reel.  I am fortunate to have these in inventory.

A very capable reel for capable anglers.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

350's don't cast very well because the spiral bar must sit fairly high.  The line drags over the spiral bar during the cast and the retrieve.  It's a good idea for trolling, deep drop and other non-casting situations.

If you get rid of all level winding mechanisms then doing it with your fingers will quickly become second nature.
-steve

Rivverrat

Steve spoke what I was thinking but refrained from saying.

Had to google to make sure this 350 was the model I was thinking of. Me & this level wind bar never got along. I found at some point it would get nicks in it & quickly weaken my line with fish on. It was for me as Steve
states an undesirable casting reel with the bar in place.

16 years old on the river bank in a mid level fit of frustration. Using the best tools I had,  my trustee KABAR & Leatherman I set forth twisting, pulling  & prying that bar out. Liked that reel much better afterward... Jeff

foakes

You guys need to realize that this reel is best for dropping over the side of a pier or boat -- or maybe some trolling situations.

Not casting...

Every reel has its place -- and that is likely why it did not last.  Folks kept trying to use it for casting -- because that is what they expected.

All I was saying -- is that it performs well, as designed, is a tough reel, and works if one uses it as designed.

Different strokes for different folks -- different reels for different deals.  😄😄😄

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Quote from: foakes on April 17, 2020, 10:39:26 PM

Different strokes for different folks -- different reels for different deals.  😄😄😄

Best, Fred

Good one Fred!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Rivverrat

Well Fred what your saying makes perfect sense.
I wasn't smart enough at the time & few if any here in Kansas would have known its proper use... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 18, 2020, 02:19:25 AM
Well Fred what your saying makes perfect sense.
I wasn't smart enough at the time & few if any here in Kansas would have known its proper use... Jeff

Jeff's childhood sounds much like mine...learning the hard way how to properly use saltwater equipment for heavy freshwater fishing. Penn made all those different models for a reason. If you need a non-levelwind reel...it's a pretty safe bet they made one to fit the bill...rather than hack on a levelwinder. I also understand the need for special mods at times. I did make a frankenreel once...or twice...or...:D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

With that said...Some Hawaiians could cast a 6/0 better than some could cast a Squidder...just saying...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelFishingProblems

Newest additions to the quarantine collection.

Funny I got this 710 that had a quick PUM job done like Mo just discussed.
The 26 has a crack in the spool, but I'll go through and clean everything else up, maybe put new bars and seat on it so it looks pristine other than the crack