Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

A California fishing license from 1944...what a bonus...too cool! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Cool! I wouldn't a thought they'ed even require a sport fishing license way out West in '44. I think I recall someone mentioning that more plastic spools showed up on Penn's during the war years, as metal was needed for the war production effort.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

broadway

Looking good, Col... looking real good ;)
Dom
PS- I'm with you, John... I miss those two cats, Big Time!

milne

Thanks guys,
                   It's always a bonus when you pick up some history, like a licence from 44, luv it, it's history !.

John, I'm one of the 30 + blokes following in the foot steps of those you refer too, that actually know a bit about Penn, I've still got my training wheels on.  ;D.
         But I agree, this page "just as you find them" is my favourite as well.
       The reason I stick with Penn, apart from my early fishing experience with them, is that there's always a new piece of information to add to the puzzle, PLUS, I know my OCD will kick in if I dare to venture out and start buying other brands,,,,   I've seen some of your "awe inspiring" reels you have collected and it's truly a credit to yourself. I especially look forward to the reels you frequently put up...

Col

milne

Another wee addition,  Don't have any of the reels relating to this yet, just haven't seen to many others of these.
  Lot's of assorted parts inside, from other reels as well, which I have pilfered and used...
  just thought it was intereseting...

Col

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Nice find there Col, very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

broadway

Cool, neat piece. I've got #6 and while they don't fetch a lot they are cool to hold some old (non numbered) parts that would otherwise get mixed in with numbered parts. That's what I use mine for at least.
Did you find Otto down under or what? Did you find Blackbeard's Penn treasure?
Keep at it,
Dom

Deepennz

Hi Col,
That's a very nice 155 - I reckon Joe Arnold bought that reel at the same time he bought that licence - then put them both in the back of his cupboard, and forgot about them!!
You seem to possess the attribute of serendipity - the ability to find wonderous things, without having to work very hard. Do you watch that program " Aussie Gold Hunters"? Perhaps you should give that a go!!

Looking forward to your next surprise.
Cheers
Martin

milne

HaHaHa,
           Na Martin, I guess I'm scouring ever where on line like most folk here, but I guess I've had some luck along the way. I think it comes down to
    a bit of luck, being so far away from where they originate.....
  In all honesty though Martin, a lot of it is down to the sharing of knowledge, from the likes of yourself and others on here,,, with out that I would not know what to look for,  hence the 155 we talked about which is now in my collection.
  It definitely brings out the OCD in ones self, it's almost like a drug, searching and searching for a particular reel type to add to a collection....
I go thru hot and cold patches, where I don't add a reel for months, but all of a sudden, you get a burst of activity...

I've actually deleted part of my last few posts, cause I don't want to jinx myself, but if the international postal system comes thru ( touch wood)  I will think about going gold hunting !!!   and take the serendipity label,,,  but I'm seriously starting to have panic attacks about where it is.
I wont Jinx myself and let it out of the bag, But the neighbours are starting to think I have some sort of issue, I'm coming home to check the mail 1/2 a dozen time a day at the minute.... 

I think you could be right about the reel being bought with the licence and put away, as the reel is in pristine condition and the twin grease pack has not been used.  Just a great piece of history and I'm proud to be it's custodian at the minute...

all the best

Col

Maxed Out

Col, you have definitely upped your game in recent times. A lot of it is knowing what to look for, and sometimes that's not so simple. Very thankful Mike C has shared tons of his knowledge and then he brought along Ray and Brian(RIP to both) and the info flowed like Niagara falls, and continues to this day. What's really cool is getting an old Penn and opening up the "blue book" and finding a picture of it along with a description. Then you look at the reel in your hand and say "hey, that's my reel"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

"Hey that's my reel"
             Yep, that's the catch cry.
  I totally agree, the people that have all contributed, plus, the fact that this place has a HUGE reference to search through and gather all that information that has been passed on..............   and I luv Mike C's books, there always very close by.....

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteCol, you have definitely upped your game in recent times. A lot of it is knowing what to look for, and sometimes that's not so simple. Very thankful Mike C has shared tons of his knowledge and then he brought along Ray and Brian(RIP to both) and the info flowed like Niagara falls, and continues to this day. What's really cool is getting an old Penn and opening up the "blue book" and finding a picture of it along with a description. Then you look at the reel in your hand and say "hey, that's my reel"

Quote"Hey that's my reel"
            Yep, that's the catch cry.
 I totally agree, the people that have all contributed, plus, the fact that this place has a HUGE reference to search through and gather all that information that has been passed on..............   and I luv Mike C's books, there always very close by.....

Thank you guys. That makes my day.....

That #4 kit is an interesting kit. In 1949 the #4 kit was only sold to repair the Penn 109 but in 1950 it was expanded to also carry the parts for the 109 & 209. I believe that is a tough kit to find, especially the first year version of it. The number chronologically goes backward with the #6 kit being introduced first, then the #5 and then the number 4. Don't know why they did it that way, but they did.

milne

Hi Mike,
           It's sort of funny in a way, apart from Senators, I mainly stick with Pre 50's, mainly Pre war, but I saw this and due to the fact I'd never
seen a kit like this before, i had to have it, I don't even have any of the reels  ;D.
There were some very helpful other parts in there from earlier reels, which have been utilised, so that's been helpful.
I guess at a later date, if I go after the 9, 109, 209 reels, this will sit nicely on the shelf with them..
Or someone might like it to finish off or add to there collection....

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteHi Mike,
           It's sort of funny in a way, apart from Senators, I mainly stick with Pre 50's, mainly Pre war, but I saw this and due to the fact I'd never
seen a kit like this before, i had to have it, I don't even have any of the reels  Grin.
There were some very helpful other parts in there from earlier reels, which have been utilised, so that's been helpful.
I guess at a later date, if I go after the 9, 109, 209 reels, this will sit nicely on the shelf with them..
Or someone might like it to finish off or add to there collection....

Col
Posted on: April 28, 2020, 06:18:14 PMPosted by: Penn Chronology

Sure, it is an interesting collectible in itself. I never buy a antique parts kits with the intention of using it to do repair work with. This is a nice add to your collection simply because they are special and very hard to find.