Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Man, the line looks unused.... and there's lots of it.

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on June 29, 2021, 07:51:33 PM

Steve, is that linen?   

Donnyboat

really nice Chris, would it be a rude question to ask how much you paid for it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Quote from: Decker on June 30, 2021, 01:16:38 PM
Quote from: oc1 on June 29, 2021, 07:51:33 PM

Steve, is that linen?   
Yeah.  Twisted, not braided.

RC4600

I needed a reel for a light SW rod I just finished, and I found this Penn 10. Previous owner had added a Smooth Drag. 1st 2 pics as found, then added Ande backcountry #15 and ready to go. I think Penn stopped production in 2002, so not bad for 20+yrs in use. RC

Crow

Sweet !  Lets see it on the rod !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RC4600

OK, here is the rod, backcountry & bass rod for FL water. It's a Seeker 6'6'' BC (bass casting) E glass. It is one of the straightest rods I have ever wrapped, love the rod. Balance seems just about perfect, just put it together last night.

I got hold of 2 Seekers blanks': this BC and a 7' BS, very nice. I have a couple of Seekers, impressive rods! When I get a chance I will put something about them in the rod section. USA rod makers are getting hard to find these days. RC

Gfish

Nice.
I think the 10 & 210 are Penn's best old school lightweight level-winders.
They "seem" to be stronger than the 9 series Peer reels. One thing I'd rather have in them is bushings over the spool ball-bearings. I've found that even spool winding/adjustment can be done with spool bushing shims and level-winder bushing shims.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Crow

Makes a great looking combo !  Good job !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

milne

A poor neglected level wind 109 fell into my lap.
It's kinda been a bit lean for me of late, with regard to vintage Penn's, mainly been concentrating on my Tiburon Modded stable, getting them ready
to be used.
I'm pretty sure, that this 109, would be a first year puppy 1942, due to the tension knob on the head plate, can someone confirm this ???

Well, Since I already had the repair box for the 9,109,209, I had thought I may as well look for those particular reels.
I've not really ever been keen on the level winds, BUT, if it is a first year Puppy, it does fall into my collection age bracket.
Boy, this reel had some use and also some stop gap repairs along it's journey, by the look of the brass wood screws I found in the reel seat  :P
Never to mind though, since I have the no 4 repair kit, There should be some replacement screws amongst all the goodies inside.
I've not ever stripped down one of these breeds before and I quickly realised once the tail plate was removed, I oughta take a few photo's for reference if I was ever going to get it assembled and working again.
The tail plate clicker and the tension knob, are pretty well toasted in place, so everything is now in my soaking concoction and hopefully I can get this, strange old girl, cleaned up and working and hopefully looking half decent.....
I do like the handles but..
This Reel sure does need to be shown a bit of love, me thinks...

Col

Donnyboat

Nice find Col, I like the way, you call it a strange old girl, I say its a barstard, but when its cleaned up  working, then, shes a beauty, cheer Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

That's really something.  No part numbers, cool handle knobs and some sort of adjustable (more>>>less) friction brake

milne

Quote from: oc1 on July 05, 2021, 09:15:54 AM
That's really something.  No part numbers, cool handle knobs and some sort of adjustable (more>>>less) friction brake
Hi Steve, Yeah, I love the handles too.
I've never really warmed to any of the level winds, but as I mentioned, this appears to be a first year puppy, 42, with the knurled edge knob only being
that way for the first year,,, Well, if I've got it right that is  ;D  I kinda stripped it down today and once I took photo's, sat there and thought that this is really way different inside to most other Vintage Penn's in my collection,, it will be interesting how it cleans up and if I can get the clicker on the tail plate freed up.   The fact I had the repair kit for the level winds, which I haven't seen to many for sale before and the fact that the prices of vintage reels of late has gone thru the roof, makes it slim pickings of late, so this one presented itself to me at what I like to pay for these old reels !!!
Quote from: Donnyboat on July 05, 2021, 06:04:29 AM

Nice find Col, I like the way, you call it a strange old girl, I say its a barstard, but when its cleaned up  working, then, shes a beauty, cheer Don.
I had a chuckle when I read your post Don,,, Yep, I thought the same thing when it arrived   ;D
Hopefully I can give her some lovin and bring her back to lookin half decent....
I don't know if there in the "hard to find " category or not, but it's warming to me..

Col

Bill B

Col I have the feeling that after you are done, this reel will shine like new...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!