Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on July 05, 2021, 12:06:21 PM
Col I have the feeling that after you are done, this reel will shine like new...Bill

I am so Hoping so Bill  ;D

Col

broadway

Col, nice project you're working on.
The kit may have numbered parts in it be careful to keep it period correct
If you have to buy a donor to make one nice first year reel.
Yes, it's a first year.
Let's see it when you're done... bet we won't recognize it 8)
Best to ya
Dom

milne

Well,  The 109 was an interesting experience to strip and clean up.
Thought I would put up a Pic of her all done and given a bit of Lovin...
I have to admit, I was nearly excited as I was when I found my first markings on the side plates of my 33 reels when I had finished.
She certainly is no Show pony... This Puppy was used as it was intended, extensively by the looks.
2 days of soaking in my new u-bute lemon scented wd40 degreaser and the tail plate clicker button was released  !!!
I should have taken a completed inside Pic, since I showed one of it's original state.
I could have pilfered more new parts from my Penn parts repair kit,  There is new main gears, the pawl winding mechanism etc, but I decided just to completely clean all the old parts, I only pilfered a new under gear washer and 2 reel seat screws to replace the brass wood screws I found in there.
The clicker is now incredibly loud, was quite surprised how loud it was, everything works well, including the drag, so it was a good result.
Can't do much about the state of the dents and scratches in the side plates, nor the obvious chrome loss, but I still like how she came out and am definitely happy to put it up on the shelf, as she is still holding on to all her history and the obvious abuse she endured during her active years   ;D

As mentioned, prior to getting this reel, I skipped past anything that was level wind, but this one has changed my outlook, Hell, I may even look for a newish iteration and wet a line with one....
It's kind of a reel, you pick up and have a wee tinker with.....   Yep, it doesn't take much to intrigue me I guess..... ;D

Bill B

Looks great Col...excellent job bringing this war horse back to life....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

milne

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on July 07, 2021, 05:42:04 AM
Looks great Col...excellent job bringing this war horse back to life....Bill

Thanks Bill,  I really enjoyed doing this one....

Col

Donnyboat

Great job Col, shes a gorgeous, ya just would`nt believe it, you certainly want to fish with one after you know of the engineering, and history, reminds me of the Penn 350 I restored, it is nice to have one to fish with, many thanks to Ted, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

54bullseye

Nice job on the "wee tinker" Col !!! looks good ! Did you end up buying the International ?    John Taylor

milne

Quote from: Donnyboat on July 07, 2021, 06:45:36 AM
Great job Col, shes a gorgeous, ya just would`nt believe it, you certainly want to fish with one after you know of the engineering, and history, reminds me of the Penn 350 I restored, it is nice to have one to fish with, many thanks to Ted, cheers Don.
Thanks Don, I gotta admit, there little Rippers of reels, am very impressed....

Quote from: 54bullseye on July 07, 2021, 08:31:19 AM
Nice job on the "wee tinker" Col !!! looks good ! Did you end up buying the International ?    John Taylor

Hey John.  Cheers, it was an enjoyable one to " Tinker with "   ;D
Mate, I was on that International and then sat back and watched where the price was heading.
It ended up going for around $400 Aussie, which from what you said, seemed about right, it was a really nice example.
While I was watching and waiting for the bidding, I spent a few days tinkering with my Senator projects and making a parts list up, which
Came to about what the International finished at ,  SO, I pulled out and let it go,  and decided to spend that coin on finishing off the modding on my project reels....   I had my finger ready to push the button, But  !!!!
I know I'll regret it down the track, Just wanted these project reels more at the minute..
Thanks for your input all the same, very much appreciated......

Col

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Really excellent work on a 80 year old Penn 109, Col —

You're no Pilgrim — you know what you are about on these old Penns.

Thanks for taking us through it!

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Well done, Col! Keep it going, bud.
Thanks for bringing us along.
Dom

mo65

Nice job on the 109 Col...she looks great. I like fishing some levelwind models, like the Mag 10 and 210, especially while night fishing. They make it easy to keep your line spooled perfect in the dark. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Going through the local digital classified ads I spied a seller with a box of "old reels". Looking at the photo I spotted a Penn Peer 209 and a DAM Quick in the box, plus roughly 15 other reels I couldn't identify.  I messaged the seller and met up with him, where it was an ungodly 115 degrees in the noon day sun.  I paid the man his $20 dollars packed up the box in the car.  He then stated "i have an old tackle box would you be interested?"  Sure, why not.....when he opened it, I was astounded.....hesitantly I asked how much?  "What would you offer?" He replied......figuring I have nothing to loose, offered $40.......he countered with $60...... peeled off a couple more $20's and drove like hell for home, figuring my luck has surely run out........ Haven't reely gone through the tackle box yet, but some of the notable reels include: 2 Mitchell 300's, a 402, early ( possibly first year based on the head plate and some part numbers) Penn Peer 209, a DAM Quick Finessa about the same size as the 300's, Ocean City 310, Olympic, Roddy, Penguin, Zebco 808 & 404, South Bend Futura 303, and Langley Castflo.......all need some kind of work and parts......but hey, I don't think I can complain....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Gee Bill what a score, the 209 & the ocean City 310, should be worth all you payed, let alone the wrest of the reels, thanks for posting them, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat