Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smazzola

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 31, 2015, 11:29:37 PMMany moons ago I found  a 1933 Penn Long Beach. It was rough, so rough that I felt I had to name this reel. I named it, "The Ugly Long Beach". I still resides in my collection. I will never sell it. As you can imagine, they are not beating down my door to buy it, so not selling it was never a problem. Here is my old and abused Long Beach as I found it in 2006.

I had been collecting for a short time. As a new collector, the 1933 reels were the most elusive Penn reels to find, so this ugly old Long Beach looked like a gem to me. It did not come cheap, if I remember right, I paid about $150 for it. I was happy to find it, no matter what the cost. In my mind it was rare.

For those that do not know me, I am not the kind of collector that places condition in the number one spot. My priority is always the piece! A rare reel is rare, even if it is ugly.

So, I decided to clean this reel. I broke it down and am happy to report that old dog of a reel was all original.

After cleaning and reassembly, guess what. It runs like new, the drags are good, the clicker is good, it spins nice, quiet, smooth and fast. This reel could be lined and still catch fish on any day of the week. At 82 years old, it cold still be put to work.

All those years of dirt, grime and that famous saltwater green are gone, along with most of the chrome.

The side plates have that sandblasted style that I love.

And the stand has a mixture of chrome and brass that creates patina that is impossible to duplicate. What really adds character is the Bakelite chipped handle boss, a very common condition with these 1933 models.

Yup, this is a reel that is what it is, clean, fully functioning and still Ugly. But it is my first 1933 Long Beach and no matter what the offers are, I refuse to part with it.

Hi Mike, I know this is an old thread, thought I'd give it a try. I recently bought a Penn 65 at an estate sale that looks like your 1933 Long Beach. Except, it says patented on the head plate. I see yours say patent pending. I'm thinking it is a mid 1930. I have your 3 books great read. What year do you think it came out? Thanks, Steve
😄

Deepennz

Hi Steve,
An interesting question!!
Penn introduced the Longbeach in 1933. All these early reels had the 'Patent pending' logo, which Penn used until 1938.
However, in 1935, Penn introduced the small Longbeach series #61, #62, which came with the 'Patented' logo.
In 1936, the new LB66 also had the new 'patented' logo.
From there things got a little 'mixed up'.  I have found LB 60's and 65's with both logo's over the 1937 -38 production run. They seem to have mixed up their mold plugs, because I also have several examples of the 'Patent Pending' logo used on the smaller LB #62, #63's.
By 1939 Penn had changed the logo and all the LB's were "Pat'd".
So, from the description of the logo on your reel I would guess that it is from that 1937 -38 time period.
Note - there are lots of other clues to determine more precisely the age of your reel - stamped reel seat etc.

Hope that helps
Martin

Shellbelly

I just got this LB 60.  It has no #'s other than on the gear cover plate.    It came to me with what appeared to be a mixture of nickel and chrome-plated parts.  I had a pair of correct rings in better condition, as well as posts so that's what you see here.  I wanted to replace the stand but didn't have a "square" one.

It cleaned up into fair condition, but I question the handle.  While it is an older handle, shouldn't a waffle clicker be accompanied by a wood handle?

Is this reel correct?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Deepennz

Hi Shellbelly,
You reely are heading off down the rabbit hole - have fun!!
That reel above IMHO is a mixture of 2 reels. The tail plate is from the early 1938 - end 1939, as found in LB's, Seagates and Baysides from those 2 years.
The rest of the reel, I believe from what I can see, is from 1946. At some stage the original tail plate may have been dropped/broken and been replaced with an earlier plate.
Penn used that plain, unmarked counterweight on the med sized LB's (and others) from mid 1941, 1942, and then after the War, in 1946. After that came the '3 stack C/w.
From your photo the plastic spool would seem to have a smooth, sculptured join between the arbor and the flange - if so then that is correct for the reel/year - 1946!
If it has a little ridge around the arbor/flange join then it is a pre war 1941,42 year.
 Hope that helps!

Shellbelly

Thank you!  I appreciate this.  It sounds like what I have here is a donor reel.  I suspected it wasn't correct as assembled, but the parts are important to me and that's why I picked it up.  The reel didn't appear to be thrown together for selling.  The old grease was pretty well molded to everything.  I'm happy with what I got and it might help produce a correct model someday. 

All, I didn't intend to hijack this thread but hoped to focus on and compare the various LB's we have.  The original post starts pretty close to the beginning of the model. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Cuttyhunker

Found a 10/0 but what I'm really curious about is the 130 class rod built by St Croix.  I never knew they were in the big game market.  Anyone here have any insight into this old girl?
Thanks,
DSC02383.JPGDSC02393.JPGDSC02393.JPGDSC02393.JPGDSC02394.JPGDSC02391.JPGDSC02390.JPGDSC02385.JPGDSC02387.JPGDSC02388.JPGDSC02384.JPGDSC02386.JPGDSC02383.JPG             Bob 
Doomed from childhood

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Cuttyhunker

Thanks guys, does anyone have info about the St Croix rod? Never knew they were in the big game biz.
Thanks
Doomed from childhood

54bullseye

I have a couple 130 lb St Croix rods but there black with maroon wraps on Mildrum roller guides. I hadn't seen one like yours.   John Taylor

Shellbelly

St Croix rods "should" have a number just above the handle.  Sometimes this gets covered by a custom grip.  I searched for their big game rods and didn't come up with anything like yours.  I don't know when they started using the urethane filler.  That might be a search angle to explore.  Seems it would be a notable innovation a company would advertise.  Some of the rod guys may remember when this technique started.

In any event, that is a great looking rig. 

Reeltyme

Folks, I recently bought a group of Penn reels along with rods with the intention of cleaning them up and reselling them. There were several 4/0 high speeds, a 6/0 and 2 - 9/0's along with a couple others. I didn't pay real close attention to the 9/0's as I was only looking to make the deal and hopefully a few dollars in the end. After cleaning the second 9/0 I realized it was a little different. I actually had clean and sell on my mind. I first noticed while cleaning the internal parts that there were no part numbers. I stopped and took a better look at the reel and realized that there were no forward lugs, the free Spool lever was forward and the Penn insignia was at the 3 o'clock position. The handle had obviously been replaced which is probably why I didn't pay close attention to it at first. Knowing it wasn't a first gen but believing it was probably a second gen, I reached for the Penn bible. After searching I only became a little more confused. Resorted to calling Mr. Mike direct for more information. I guess I bought a 9/0 from about 1948 or 49. A transitional period when the 9/0 went through several changes. Anyway, I have no interest in this reel as a collector and plan on selling it as a fishing reel. Before I do, if there is anyone out there interested in it for collector reasons I would be happy to give y'all first shot at it. $155 shipped anywhere in the U.S.A. She's all cleaned and ready to fish or change the handle and appreciate her as a survivor!

Deepennz

Hi there,
An interesting reel - IMHO this reel is also a mixture of two - the main reel (sideplates etc, no front lugs) are from a late 1940/early 1941 model, the first of the 2nd Gen 9/0's, and the handle and spool are from the mid/late fifties. The spool is a one piece - introduced by Penn in 1954/55. The correct spool should be a 3piece, with a drilled hole in the arbor.
Cheers
Martin

Cuttyhunker

The inside "no notch" chromed rings alone are probably worth the asking price.  Last spring I had acquired a gen 1 with the incorrect sailfish artwork and one inside notched ring, probably dropped and broken in the past, I cannibalized a 41 in my stash to make the gen 1 correct for the shelf. My now incorrect 41 with a new 5 stack drag is going fishing for school blues and yellowfins next season. So, like yours I'll be sporting a frankenreel for sure. Besides the spool and handle your sailfish tailplate came from a later time.  I wonder what happened to yours back in the day?
Doomed from childhood

Deepennz

Hi Cuttyhunker,
Whilst Penn was making that 'no front lug', first of the 2nd gen 9/0's they added that sailfish engraving - ie they can be found with and without the engraving. So - for all those deep down the rabbit hole you need both to complete the set!!
I have 2 of each!!
Cheers
Martin

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood