Mango Man Strikes

Started by Newell Nut, November 06, 2015, 12:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

It was a great day on the Pastime Princess. The big mangos have been vacant for nearly two months and after catching a bunch of huge red snappers today we made our last move on the reef. The last 30 minutes we hit the mangos and I got three nice ones over the rail before we had leave. Two of my buddies got a couple of them too. These were caught with my old reliable mango slaying Newell 540 3.2 and my new Seeker GTS80XH Hercules. This Newell has one of Tom's sleeves, Adams Star, Tib frame and Bryans 5 stack for upgrades but this reel has never failed since 1992 and it has caught huge numbers of fish on at least 500 trips. The new Seeker Hercules is now my favorite reef rod of all time. It is light and extremely strong.
Captain Al got 17 triggers and all were just short of the new 14" size limit. That porgy on my stringer was a freak catch on a Viking jig. After the jig hit the bottom I made one turn for a hook up and was really surprised to see a porgy come up.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Good Job Dwight!
Those are some fattys.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Living the life Dwight! Nice!

Tightlines667

Looking great.  I was waiting to see a nice stringer of Mangos... the 'Mango Man' never dissapoints.

Nice Porgie too.  Porgie head makes the best fish chouder.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Looks great Dwight! that's some nice Mango, Mango Man. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 06, 2015, 02:48:19 AM
Looks great Dwight! that's some nice Mango, Mango Man. ;)
Not much more to say.  Way to go Dwight.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

If anyone gets over this way the fishing is good from now to about the first of July. King season is also starting and will really heat up through January. The only issue is when a North Easter has us tied to the dock.
Eric from NOOA was at the dock for measurements and the fattest one was 5 kilos and that was the JP fish for the day.

mizmo67

They sort of look like a gigantic perch done in red tones.

What's the meat like?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Newell Nut

White and Light. My favorite fish to eat. They are the hardest fish to catch offshore. They have very unique feeding habits and very line shy as well.

mizmo67

White perch is my favorite :) So basically very similar meat.

I really have to fishing down there sometime. I probably wouldn't go offshore, though, I'm a bay/river gal.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Newell Nut

Lots of inshore mangroves around 10 to 12 inches.

Steve-O

Good looking fish there, Dwight!

handi2

Great picture Dwight. I wish I had time to fish.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Doug

Hi Dwight  How good are they eating wise ?