for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

bill karr came by today, we shot the bull for a while and before he left, he had a suggestion.  why not have a board where a beginner can ask a quick question.  ok, i can do that!!!!  admittedly, things have gotten a crowded here.  there is a lot of information and i would imagine it can be a little intimidating.  

ok, so this is a board for pretty much any question you want to ask, no matter how simple, silly or trivial it might seem.  we'll see how this works out!!!!   ;D

edit:  questions will likely sit here for a while and then get moved if it seems more appropriate for another board. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

Perfect !! Finally a section where I'll feel at home.  :D :D cause I'll always be a beginner. ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Joe, I found the plans for this work bench on line and have been pleased with the layout and the space it affords. It's 6' long, but could easily have been 8; I didn't have that much room. I've taken over my oldest (moved away) daughter's room, and I use her empty bureau drawers for storage. It's working well for me.
Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Big Tim

Quote from: sdlehr on January 09, 2016, 10:57:41 PM
Joe, I found the plans for this work bench on line and have been pleased with the layout and the space it affords. It's 6' long, but could easily have been 8; I didn't have that much room. I've taken over my oldest (moved away) daughter's room, and I use her empty bureau drawers for storage. It's working well for me.

Sid
SE FL

That's nice Sid. Very functional. The only problem I can see is that your Giants sign should be black and orange ;D

BT

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Jeri

Hi,

I would suggest keeping the reel area seperate to rod work, as all the oils and greases never quite get cleaned away from the area, and could get on the rods. Any oils, grease or silicone on your rods will never do well with 2 part resins.

We do rods and reels in the same room, but totaly seperate benches.

Cheers

jeri

Ron Jones

If you aren't a die hard woodworker, nightstands and/or short dressers are great to start workbenches. The drawers seem to be just the right size.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

hmmm, just watch.  now that we have a board like this, no one is gonna wanna post here.....   :-\

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on January 10, 2016, 08:40:42 PM
hmmm, just watch.  now that we have a board like this, no one is gonna wanna post here.....   :-\
I wouldn't blame them, when this thing heat up, it will get messy quickly.
I think we have it right now, the new members can easily ask questions about a particular reel they're looking for, or anything else.
This new one will get loaded with different subjects going in all directions.
We have things nicely separated now. I don't believe this one will work....just my opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

I'll give it a try... here's a ? I don't know where it belongs

Is SaltX necessary?

or...

Is a freshwater rinse of rod & reel after the salt boat ride adequate?

Thanks,

Steve

alantani

naw, anything is fine!  i never use salt away or salt x.  just a fresh water rinse and towel dry, then a spritz of corrosion x and good wipe down. 

sdlehr

Quote from: Big Tim on January 09, 2016, 11:05:09 PM

That's nice Sid. Very functional. The only problem I can see is that your Giants sign should be black and orange ;D

BT
Tim, (he said, trying not to take offense) a Giants logo would look absolutely ridiculous in black and orange! That logo was from a weave I did on one of my rod builds.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Zimbass

It's a bicycle wrench. Used to get them included in a leather case attached to the saddle.

At least that what it looks like to me.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Ron Jones

That is, in fact, a bicycle wrench. We used to call them Shimano wrenches. Work for spokes, transmissions and bottom brackets even.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

cbar45

I have one that is similar but it doesn't have the stepped opening on the right...No idea what it was orginally for...As for the one in your photo, my guess would be it pairs with a musical instrument of some sort?