Chrome plating escapades and other short stories....

Started by sdlehr, January 13, 2016, 12:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

honestly, what really needs to be done is that these parts need to be made out of stainless steel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

had my Wilson Staffs re-chromed about 20 years ago from a guy in Oceanside and they came out beautiful!

Alto Mare

Re chroming is very expensive, doing it yourself with a kit will usually cost you more and worthless. I haven't done it but watched a few videos about it.
Be careful cleaning the chrome, it's very bad for you and so is the chemical to re chrome the parts.
You could soak the rings for a week or so, I'm sure the rest of the chrome will melt away.
if it doesn't, try 1000 grit sandpaper, but make sure to keep it wet.
You could use simple green or even water, you don't want that stuff in your lungs.
When sanded nicely they could be painted or powder coated, that should be more reasonable in cost.
These were powder coated by a member here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3855.msg28460#msg28460

As Alan mentioned above, stainless steel would be best.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 16, 2016, 01:31:34 AM
Re chroming is very expensive, doing it yourself with a kit will usually cost you more and worthless.
The worthless part may turn out to be true, but I'm into this kit for less than $50 and still have plenty of chemical to experiment with.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector