Building Out a Small Tackle Workshop -- On a Budget

Started by foakes, January 29, 2016, 10:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Bryan --

You will not need to pay anything for my equipment, parts, and reels.

When I move on -- it will all be donated to the AT site -- for a couple of key members to divide up between many other regular contributing members.

But do not hold your breath waiting -- my immediate plans do not include that transition -- as reels can be worked on as long as one has steady hands, decent light, and good magnifiers.

Plus, how many of you know that Aiala's Dad, who is a Pulitzer Award winning author -- just turned 100, and just released another book -- and has multiple books in the planning stage?

He is a good example.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/at-100-herman-wouk-re-emerges-with-a-memoir-sailor-and-fiddler/2016/01/06/e74a1d3a-afcb-11e5-b711-1998289ffcea_story.html

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on January 29, 2016, 06:11:25 PM
Bryan --

You will not need to pay anything for my equipment, parts, and reels.

When I move on -- it will all be donated to the AT site -- for a couple of key members to divide up between many other regular contributing members.

But do not hold your breath waiting -- my immediate plans do not include that transition -- as reels can be worked on as long as one has steady hands, decent light, and good magnifiers.

Plus, how many of you know that Aiala's Dad, who is a Pulitzer Award winning author -- just turned 100, and just released another book -- and has multiple books in the planning stage?

He is a good example.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/at-100-herman-wouk-re-emerges-with-a-memoir-sailor-and-fiddler/2016/01/06/e74a1d3a-afcb-11e5-b711-1998289ffcea_story.html

Best,

Fred
Fred, as I was drooling at your pictures again, do you happen to have main gears for some Garcia Mitchells for sale?  I have a few reels that I'm repairing and the gears are very well worn.  Yes, I cleaned off the caked on grease that was acting like a cushion and now have gear to gear contact (with grease in-between of course).  If not, I'll just do my best to make it work and let the person know that it is what it is.  I'll get you the reel numbers when I get home.

Thanks.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Great setup Fred and it looks like a very fun place to work and relax. Hard to beat that set up.

Bryan Young

There's a few things that Alan would add...a frig for beer and a freezer for Scotch.   ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Should have some, Bryan.

Just get me the reel model number and a pic or two for confirmation.

Just completed a 402 with a stripped main for a friend.

Many of the Mitchell gears strip pretty easily if used to their max -- because they have softer alloy gears -- not pot metal -- but also not bronze or brass like Penns and Quicks.

Even on new gears, after a thorough cleaning -- liberal grease as well as shimming the pinion, rotor, pivot points, etc. -- is required.

Not just a plug and play -- needs some finesse -- that is French for more money.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 29, 2016, 06:32:50 PM
There's a few things that Alan would add...a frig for beer and a freezer for Scotch.   ;D

Scotch?  No, Vodka goes in the freezer!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 29, 2016, 06:32:50 PM
I'm with you Bryan, got to have a beer frig. Not a Scotch boy but some good Blackberry will work ! ;D
Richy aka CaptainRMF

joel8080

Fred

My Wife and I just returned from a 5 week trip to Colombia, all was well till I showed her the pictures of your work shop.
I am now in the dog house also I have to send her sons in Colombia pictures of your shop, they have a huge Horse ranch and there shop looks worse then mine, so all 3 of us are in the dog house and I promised to fix and arrange mine to look like a proper shop. Lots of luck.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

cbar45

Fred,

Very nice!..Like many pros of their craft, you make an amazing use of available space.

My favorites are the hinged/chained work stations and tool carousels.

Thanks for sharing.

Chad

Fish-aholic

Awe-inspiring!!! Thanks for the pictorial tour of your man cave! :o

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

Quote from: Dominick on January 30, 2016, 12:20:34 AM
I'm speechless.   :o  Dominick

Me too..!!

I will say though I wish I had the time to get my parts in order. One day. I couldn't work in Fred's shop. I might get something dirty!

Bryan I have plenty of 302 and 402 main and pinion gears. They are all used but look good.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

josa1

MY GOD...MAKE IT STOP!!!   :o  Fred,  What a great set up..I will never let you in my garage to see what I consider workable.

Beautiful home!! Really like the reupholstered chair!  My house was built in 1928 and looks to have some of the same characteristics as yours.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.  It will definitely give me some things to think about.

josa1

TomT

Quote from: Dominick on January 30, 2016, 12:20:34 AM
I'm speechless.   :o  Dominick

Me too !!~! :o ;D  Except I can say WOW!!  AMAZING!! 
TomT