Building Out a Small Tackle Workshop -- On a Budget

Started by foakes, January 29, 2016, 10:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Cheers guys :) I think I had a dream last night of being in Fred's workshop ;D
I really must get my work space (sorry dear 'Utility Room') properly organised - but working around 2 fridges, washing machine and a wine cooler :(
I'm getting there - but sloooowly :D

anglingarchitect

My Garage space, unbearably hot in summer and cold in winter.

Always lots of stuff torn apart.

If I ever clean it up and organize it
I will take another picture.

foakes

Nice setup AA --

Actually wouldn't take too much to organize that nicely.

(It looks good now).

Good tools, good fishing equipment -- obviously good, and varied skills.

This is what worked for me to store a few hundred rods -- just pvc, scrap wood, little sheeting on the back wall.

Might have cost $100 - $150.

You have some nice gear that could use protecting as you do other projects -- plus you wouldn't need one this large probably.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

WOW :o And I thought I had a few rods ;D
Is that the loft space above your workshop?
Great idea with the pvc pipe :)

foakes

Yes,

I built out 5 separate rooms separated with adjoining doors on the ground floor.

This was in an old red barn -- now it is paneled, insulated, etc..

Additional tackle room, tool room, additional tool and assembly work room, room for stationary power tools, gardening room -- 40' X 20' outside footprint -- 3 rollups.

Then added the loft which is another 800 square feet, staircase, lighting throughout shops, and 128 electrical duplex plugs -- all in Quad Raco boxes, and EMT.  Each quad box has 2 duplex plugs -- each on a separate 20 amp circuit.  All are 48" above the floor.  Plus also added some 240V, if ever needed.  Sub-Paneled, and all runs off the generator in case the power goes out.

Wife does stained glass on one side of the loft -- I do excess fishing gear on the rod side.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

TomT

foakes

My wife and I got a big kick out of Chris's description of his new screwdriver and bit holder -- as a "Tidy".

That's a great name for it -- as well as a very good job of woodworking.

When I clean up at night, after working on reel jobs -- everything has a place -- and it is visually quick to put everything back for another go at it tomorrow.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

anglingarchitect

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 01, 2016, 04:17:16 PM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 01, 2016, 11:16:03 AM

Oh that's nice.  I need to come up with something soon.  I've become inefficient.

this is my favorite thing you have shown! Got to do one of these.

mark

foakes

Just about ready to stop for the evening -- view from the shop just now.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

anglingarchitect

cbar45

Quote from: foakes on February 10, 2016, 01:50:23 AM
Just about ready to stop for the evening -- view from the shop just now.

Best,

Fred

Beautiful end to your workday..

Chad

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TomT

Fred,
If you could remove the snow and your trees and insert Cactus and sand, that red sunset would make a good Baja sunrise.  Actually the best Baja colors come 15-20 minutes before the sun actually come up!!
Beautiful, Fred
TomT