What # braid do you have on your 501?

Started by pjstevko, February 14, 2016, 05:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Just wondering what # test braid you guys are running on your 501's and what species you target with them?

I've got 50# braid with a short 30/40# top shot on mine

Ron Jones

I'd run nothing smaller than 50, considering a 100 does great with 40.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

doradoben

I have two unmodified 501's with greased 3 stacks and larger handles. They have 300 yards of 50 lb. solid spectra. I use them with 25 or 30 lb. mono. If 40 lb. test is really required, I prefer a larger reel but that's just me.

broschro

I use 40#  on all my jigmaster size reels with 20 to 30 pound leader line. I target Gray Snapper,Triggers, and other smaller reef dwelling fishes. Jamie

BMITCH

Same as Jamie above....only the target species would be fluke to small pelagics.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

mike1010

I run spectra on my 501 for tog, and use 50 or 65 with about 5 yards of 40lb fluoro on top.  The only advantage of the 65 for me is a little more insurance against abrasion.

Mike

BryanC

I have an upgraded 501 with SS gear sleeve, double dog bridge, 5+1 drag stack, Tom's plates & a Tib frame.  So it is capable of fishing fairly heavy line.  I have it spooled with 300 yards of 65 lb braid, and this leaves enough room for a topshot or long leader of 40-50 lb mono or fluoro.

Keta

I use 60/65 pound. I use my jignasters for mid depth bottom fish and albacore.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Its good to know that the "Blue Demon" 501 Fred is putting together for me (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16893.0) will handle West Coast pelagics!

Bryan Young

Min. 50# max 65# braid is my norm. It's because that is what I have.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I like to use a short section of lighter mono so it breaks first if I get hung up on the bottom.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelhead_killer

Quote from: pjstevko on February 14, 2016, 05:21:27 AM
Just wondering what # test braid you guys are running on your 501's and what species you target with them?

I did the same!
><)))">

DaBigOno

Quote from: pjstevko on February 14, 2016, 05:21:27 AM

No braid on my 501's.   Just straight 25 lb mono for SoCal fishing

Targeting schoolie tuna, dorado, yellowtail on an overnight or a 1.5 day boat out of S.D.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

That's how I load mine on the right side of the coast.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.