tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steelfish

Quote from: Hamachi on October 30, 2016, 04:11:03 AM
Head scratcher for sure. How did you solve the problem?

So far I havent
The Baja Guy

Hamachi

Bearing that Basto is pointing at ok?
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

basto

Quote from: Potiguar on October 29, 2016, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: alantani on October 29, 2016, 03:28:12 AM
yes, that appears correct.  
x2

btw i have a 20/40 J not M one of my faves! wish i was able to find a 15/30 'cuz i prefer narrower reels...

Hi Potiguar
What is a J and an M model?  How do they differ?
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

if my memory serves me right, 'cuz my 20/40 is in brasil, on the reel foot it says product of japan=J or product of malaysia=M. just trying to be efficient by typing less but sometimes better not to make short cuts. pardon for the confusion...

tight lines!

Potiguar = MeL B

basto

Ahhhh....I see now. Thanks for your reply.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

IsoBar

Hi,

Thank you for this really helpful tutorial, it's about time I'll get my TLD back into service.
I have a problem though, the handle nut thread seem to have eroded (it's made of brass) and I'm having trouble finding a replacement here in Australia (in a reasonable price).
I wondered if I can just replace it with a stainless fastener and if so, what will be the suitable thread?

Many thanks, Ido

alantani

It should be a standard metric thread.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

davidshelton

I just managed to get, 2 nice looking, apparently lightly used 20/40's on ebay!! I haven't received them yet but they seem to be bone stock! As I am living in Central America, I want to order parts before I receive the reels. What do you guys recommend? I think I'll stick with the stock handle but I like the sound of upgrading to bearings and carbontex drags. What else? These will be used for trolling and livebaiting mostly inshore from Pangas but some offshore runs for Dorado thrown in there....
These will be my first ever reel projects - this site has inspired me along with this great tutorial!

alantani

you can order drag washer sets and drag grease from http://smoothdrag.com/ , bearings also. 

Tima

Re Steelfish's problem with his reel I bought a used 20/40 a while back. I stripped it down and serviced it and it seemed OK.

When I put it in free spool with the drag right off the spool and handle spun freely as they should. However if I put it in free spool with the drag done up the spool still spun freely but the handle spun very slowly and stopped quickly. There was considerable resistance when I turned the handle manually with the drag done right up and the reel in free spool even though the spool was spinning freely. I thought perhaps the drive shaft was worn but replacing it didn't work neither did straightening a slightly bent yoke.

Looking at Alan's pictures in this post I suddenly realised that the spool shaft bushing (part 82) had been installed with the flange on the inside of the reel side plate rather than the outside. The previous owner must have done this and I  didn't check this when I serviced it. I think this was affecting the alignment of the pinion gear with the main gear when the reel was in free spool: tightening the drag must have been moving the main gear down the drive shaft enough to touch the pinion gear perhaps. Anyway this fixed the problem and both handle and spool run freely now when the reel is in free spool and the drag done right up.

Just goes to show you should check everything when you service a reel!

Cheers

Tim

theswimmer

Thanks to everyone who puts time into all the tutorials.
Just finished servicing my old 15/30 and she is ready for another season.
I ordered a new set of drags and will install once they arrive.
Thanks again!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Craigen

I'm confused about the replacement side plate screws for these reels.  I've seen them designated as TGT20013 on a Shimano parts site but are all these screws the same size?  And are the two additional right side ones the same as the four on the right and left?  Are they different lengths, diameters or is it one size for all?  Different sites refer to these by differing part numbers.  The schematic in the tutorial indicates Not Found.  Cheers...

alantani

here is the schematic.  https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Shimano_TLD_15_and_30S.pdf

as i recall, there are four matching short screws on the left side.  there are four matching longer screws that are the same diameter on the right side.  in addition, there are two really tiny matching screws on the bottom of the right side plate. so they are three different sets. 

Craigen

Thanks Alan.  Checking Ebay suppliers for these as the Shimano parts site wants $6 just to ship three .99 cent screws.  I just wanted one of each for back-up anyway.  Will be starting my upgrade on a BNIB 15/30 soon.  Cheers...

alantani

call shimano at 877-577-0600.  alot of times they ship things like this for free.