tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayde561

I have 2 questions about the TLD star. One, does anyone know the nut size for the handle? Matching the threads seems to be a bit difficult. Second if anyone has used a Trinidad or Torium handle on their TLD Star which nut retainer did you use? The factory Trinidad one seems to be a touch larger than the TLD star factory nut.

seagipsy

jayde561 I just replaced a few 15/30 handles with Torium handles TGT0604, plates TGT0603  and nuts TGT0262. The stock 15/30 set screws work fine. Nice upgrade. I missed out on an upgraded 15/30 for a good price on another forum.  I msg the seller and he passed on the info. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Cor

Most of these generation reels handles seem to fit. I have had to re drill and tap handle nut plate screws in the past.   Replace the plastic nut retainer with the flat metal ones.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17.msg295511#msg295511
Cornelis

ez2cdave

I did some EDITING to my posts and here is the 2024 version, for all to enjoy !

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

This is Alan's EXCELLENT Tutorial, in easy to download, save, and share PDF files !

Drisse

Quote from: Faldie on February 07, 2013, 06:07:15 AMThanks for the responses.

The reel was used only thrice by the guy who gave it to me. He waded quite deep left the reel unattended to for a while which caused the washers to get seized together, which were subsequently replaced.
The gears look fine, no signs of corrosion. I've grease it as much as possible but the sound persists.
The drive shaft that the drive gear and all the washers go on to is quite "wobbly" before putting the gears and washers on to it. Is this normal.
The drive shaft is held in place with the little clip that slide over the bottom end of the shaft with a washer just beneath the clip. Is there anything missing there perhaps.

The sound is audible when you turn on the handle, you don't feel it when turning but the sound is there.
It's not excessive, should i ignore it? I'm just used a really smooth sound on my reels.

Thanks for the help guys.

Read a little in this old thread. I had a couple of TLD 20/40 in for service. Some of them had a grinding sound like the gears were bad. But it was the main gear touching the anti-reverse dog. The little drag washer between the anti-reverse ratchet and the main gear was compressed and worn out.

I noticed that you mentioned the washers was replaced. So this is just a tip for future use if anyone have grinding sound on their TLD 15/30 or 20/40.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jzumi

Quote from: Drisse on February 15, 2024, 03:04:45 PM
Quote from: Faldie on February 07, 2013, 06:07:15 AMThanks for the responses.

The reel was used only thrice by the guy who gave it to me. He waded quite deep left the reel unattended to for a while which caused the washers to get seized together, which were subsequently replaced.
The gears look fine, no signs of corrosion. I've grease it as much as possible but the sound persists.
The drive shaft that the drive gear and all the washers go on to is quite "wobbly" before putting the gears and washers on to it. Is this normal.
The drive shaft is held in place with the little clip that slide over the bottom end of the shaft with a washer just beneath the clip. Is there anything missing there perhaps.

The sound is audible when you turn on the handle, you don't feel it when turning but the sound is there.
It's not excessive, should i ignore it? I'm just used a really smooth sound on my reels.

Thanks for the help guys.

Read a little in this old thread. I had a couple of TLD 20/40 in for service. Some of them had a grinding sound like the gears were bad. But it was the main gear touching the anti-reverse dog. The little drag washer between the anti-reverse ratchet and the main gear was compressed and worn out.

I noticed that you mentioned the washers was replaced. So this is just a tip for future use if anyone have grinding sound on their TLD 15/30 or 20/40.

Are you talking about the drag shaft washer TGT # 0100?  If so, I'm trying to remember if it is included in the Carbontex replacement kit for this reel from SmoothDrag.  I keep all the old drag washers I replace, so maybe I can find an old, non-overly compressed one...

Thanks!

Drisse