tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tunacommy

Quote from: alantani on June 26, 2012, 06:27:50 AM
send it over and let me take a look!
I was looking at replacing this thing...then realized I would be spending more money than I want to!  (I think I fell in love with those Avet reels, they are beauties!)  Any help would be fantastic...thanks Alan, will send you tomorrow.  :)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

does anybodyknow the dimensions ot this part TGT0082 ??? it seems it also be replaced with a roller bearing. tahnks!

alantani

naw, that part it not critical.  i can actually be removed without consequence. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jbooker9

Alan I would like to get the drag and bearing upgrade for my star drag 20/40. Any help would be appreciated, maybe a lever aswell depending on the price.

alantani

Check to see if you can get a drag set and bearing from smoothing.  if not, i can get a set to you when i can return.

yakfisher

Hi guys,
          Does anyone know if they still make these reels?

I've seen them on the net being sold new but thought they were discontinued. Were they made in Japan originally?

Cheers,
Mark

redsetta

G'day yf,
They're still current - here, for example: http://www.tackledirect.com/shimanotldstar.html
Likely Malayasian made these days, but Japanese initially - I've only seen the latter.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

yakfisher

Thanks Justin,
                   Couldn't find any for sale in Australia. Ended up buying this one off ebay - $113 US including postage to Australia. Now just wait for it to come....

Westii

I bought a couple recently (one eBay and one from tackle shop).  Both made in Japan.  Outstanding reels in my opinion and very easy to service/maintain.

yakfisher

My TLD Star 15/30s arrived finally in the mail today. Looks like a nice little reel. The only thing is that there appears to be something wrong with it straight out of the box.

If I put it in cast and then flick it back and then start cranking the handle, the spool turns as expected but there is increased resistance through the handle and a sound like something is binding. If I give the handle a sharp crank forwards, then there is an audible clunk and the increased resistance goes away and it all feels nice and smooth.

Sending back is not an ideal solution as it took 3 weeks to get here from the US. Any ideas of what the problem may be and how I can fix it?

CapeFish

thats just the pinion gear kicking into place and engaging the spool shaft, not serious. Maybe it needs a drop of lube?

CaptKev

I just ordered eight 20/40's for my tuna arsenal based on this tutorial and Alan's great advice. I'm going away from braid to straight 40-50# mono. Nothing against spectra at all, just making my tuna charters a bit easier on me!

Anyone care to guess if the TLD star handle is interchangeable with a charter special? Guess it depends on the main gear end. I have 4/0 handles on my Ch Sp's, but if I could ju$t $wap handle$??? The Ch Sp's are going back to salmon fishing duty next season. Don't really need the 4/0 handles for salmonoids and the TLD handles seem to have a little bigger knob.

alantani

the handles on the tld stars and tld 15 lever drags are all the same!  you can even switch them out with the charter specials. 

yakfisher

Quotethats just the pinion gear kicking into place and engaging the spool shaft, not serious. Maybe it needs a drop of lube?

The spool does seem to be engaging from the start though, turning the handle does cause the spool to spin, it's just that you can feel a lot of resistance. The resistance continues until you give it a sharp crank which then seems to engage something else which is quite noticable and then it is free as a bird.

redsetta

G'day yf,
I wouldn't worry about sending it back - they're nearly bullet-proof and, as long as the frame's in good shape, it's likely fixable (in most instances ;)).
What I'd suggest is remove the handle, star etc, then pull the side plate.
The yoke may not be bedding back down (until you give it a sharp wind), which might mean the springs are corroded/weak etc or there's some impedence (grease/corrosion/a burr etc) on the spool shaft which is holding up the pinion.
(A tiny bit of rust at the top of the spool shaft would be enough to 'hang up' the pinion.)
The audible 'clunk' may be the yoke/pinion dropping back down.
Hopefully we'll make some progress once the side plate's off...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer