alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial How can we make ordering custom parts easier for newbies?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 06, 2019, 05:19:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How can we make ordering custom parts easier for newbies?  (Read 7609 times)
steelhead_killer

Andy

« on: March 03, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »

I am new to the site compared to most here.  I jumped in with both feet and invested a ton of time reading and learning.  I pestered members and asked silly questions.  After reviewing them I have determined that most of my time was trying to figure out what custom parts worked on what reel etc...  So it dawned on me that we could make this easier for newbies by categorizing custom parts by what they are and are not.  Example: 

Penn 500 series reels:

Handles, knobs, drags, gear sleeves, bridges, dogs, frames, parts and tutorials.   Under each would be links to manufacture or reseller and the tutorial on the reel model

thoughts?

Andy

><)))">
handi2
Sensei

OCD Reel Service and Repair

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:15:17 PM »

It makes a lot of sense to me...

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:42:15 PM »

Great idea, Andy --

Should be easy enough to set up a separate section for custom parts makers.

We are so fortunate to have these folks as part of our site.

Best,

Fred

Patience...and the rewards that come with it -- need to be experienced...otherwise, it isn't patience!

What's the difference between a worthwhile plan and a vision?

Your good, worthwhile  plan will always keep changing...However, a good vision will always remain constant and unchanging...
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »

Those guys already have their own section. Tom, Alan C, Bryan, Randy, Adam, Alan T, etc

Andy, you learned fast and built several eye popping reels Shocked Shocked. The path took you farther in touch with the AT community and if a newcomer finds one stop shopping, then they may skip the fun part of meeting the great AT community and asking lotsa rookie  Grin  questions !!

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
steelhead_killer

Andy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »

oh the side benefit would be increased sales for the manufactures and resellers...

><)))">
Marcq
Sensei

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 06:39:32 PM »

I am new to the site compared to most here.  I jumped in with both feet and invested a ton of time reading and learning.  I pestered members and asked silly questions.  After reviewing them I have determined that most of my time was trying to figure out what custom parts worked on what reel etc...  So it dawned on me that we could make this easier for newbies by categorizing custom parts by what they are and are not.  Example: 

Penn 500 series reels:

Handles, knobs, drags, gear sleeves, bridges, dogs, frames, parts and tutorials.   Under each would be links to manufacture or reseller and the tutorial on the reel model

thoughts?

Andy

Very good idea Andy, there's so many different upgrades now, like, just handle arms I think there 4 different people making/selling them, it gets confusing

Marc..
BMITCH
Firearms Group

Bob

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 06:45:23 PM »

Great idea!!! But you gotta earn it...lol

luck is the residue of design.
steelhead_killer

Andy

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »

Im just saying that I think that this site and the contents can be intimidating to rookies with thin skin.  I have been in sales my whole life so I have very thick skin, most don't.  I don't mind asking dumb questions, most do mind.  I bet it would lead to more questions from the lurkers and timid.  Hell I had to make a spreadsheet just to keep things straight on where to get what!  And it still changes!

><)))">
anglingarchitect
Firearms Group

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »

You should share your spread sheet, it is a good idea. It is a bit confusing at first and intimidating,  you come in not knowing much about reels, reel maintenance, fishing, etc. and this site is full of machinist and tuning wizards, and world wide expert fishermen.

BMITCH
Firearms Group

Bob

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 02:49:03 AM »

In reality...this is a great idea. My problem would be that then I would KNOW what I'm missing. My bank acct's may not like that😆😆 but some kind of spread sheet would cut down on the learning curve. I couldn't imagine coming into this site, getting hooked, and laying out all the cash that would be needed to upgrade/bling out my reels now. It's kinda like when you know they're catching fish and your at home with the honey-do list. The angst would kill me!!!
Bob

luck is the residue of design.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 04:02:44 AM »

Im just saying that I think that this site and the contents can be intimidating to rookies with thin skin.  I have been in sales my whole life so I have very thick skin, most don't.  I don't mind asking dumb questions, most do mind.  I bet it would lead to more questions from the lurkers and timid.  Hell I had to make a spreadsheet just to keep things straight on where to get what!  And it still changes!

Excellent idea Andy, It's sometimes frustrating looking up the rite people for custom parts I agree. The spread sheet is a good idea, something that could be printed out perhaps. As far as dumb question go however IMO that's part of the learning process.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 05:01:30 AM »

Those guys already have their own section. Tom, Alan C, Bryan, Randy, Adam, Alan T, etc

Andy, you learned fast and built several eye popping reels Shocked Shocked. The path took you farther in touch with the AT community and if a newcomer finds one stop shopping, then they may skip the fun part of meeting the great AT community and asking lotsa rookie  Grin  questions !!

Ted
Sounds like a very sensible idea, but I don't see how it can be done.
Every part you need takes a PM, Post or visit to their site to the individual who makes it.
Unless you can get someone else to do the legwork for you, I don't see a way around it.
I get lots of questions from newbies on where to get a certain part. I point them in the right direction.
Like Ted said,
All of our fabricators have their on spot in the for sale section.
Maybe, if we can put exactly what each person makes under their name, it would simplify things.

Life is Good!
DaBigOno
Photo Group

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 05:49:34 AM »

Great idea!!! But you gotta earn it...lol

X2

...if a newcomer finds one stop shopping, then they may skip the fun part of meeting the great AT community and asking lotsa rookie  Grin  questions !!

I always enjoy the "what's a Penn 99" discussion  Grin

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 07:34:03 AM »

If you don't ask,you will not learn Grin

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 08:34:43 AM »

Andy had a good idea -- maybe just a link to an Excel Spreadsheet at the top of the for sale section.

Can be changed from time time to time by the sellers and fabricators who already have access privileges.

Just keep it simple for where to go -- then let the sellers take it from there.

Just my opinion -- and that is always subject to change against a better convincing argument!

Best,

Fred

Patience...and the rewards that come with it -- need to be experienced...otherwise, it isn't patience!

What's the difference between a worthwhile plan and a vision?

Your good, worthwhile  plan will always keep changing...However, a good vision will always remain constant and unchanging...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: