Fat XL Mango today

Started by Newell Nut, March 12, 2016, 10:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Got biggest mango this year so far aboard the Pastime Princess. My good buddy Larry had a good day as well and the weather was just perfect.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RiverAngler

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Aiala

Wow!  :o

How much does a mango like that weigh??

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Nice one Mango Man ;). When it comes to Mangos, you're on a league of your own my friend.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Aiala on March 12, 2016, 10:40:49 PM
Wow!  :o

How much does a mango like that weigh??

~A~

We had a spring scale and it was 12.5 lb. Sure got some nice filets off of it and enough for me for 3 days.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 12, 2016, 10:48:37 PM
Nice one Mango Man ;). When it comes to Mangos, you're on a league of your own my friend.

Sal
I have over 30 years of mango fishing in my mental tool box and have fished with some good old timers that taught me a few tricks.

Tightlines667

Good work Dwight.  That is a nice looking fish. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

conchydong

That is a huge one Dwight. I grew up in the Keys and lived in Broward for the last 30 years and have never come close to one like that.
I think the bigger ones are up your way.
Congratulations.

Scott

Newell Nut

Quote from: conchydong on March 13, 2016, 12:46:58 AM
That is a huge one Dwight. I grew up in the Keys and lived in Broward for the last 30 years and have never come close to one like that.
I think the bigger ones are up your way.
Congratulations.

Scott

Scott
The reefs in this area grow mangos quite a bit bigger than the southern ones. I have one on my wall that is 8 oz over the world record caught right here.

Dwight

MarkT

They're bottom fish? Do you rig up a dropper loop with shrimp for them?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Newell Nut

Quote from: MarkT on March 13, 2016, 02:42:35 AM

The mango is a bottom fish and the hardest one to catch. Very line shy and they like to play with bait before they eat it. In late spring and summer they can be caught higher in water and near the surface.
You will only catch a small one with a dropper loop. 40 lb fluorocarbon works good with a leader from 8 to 15 feet topped with a 6 oz egg sinker and the bait is sardine, squid, live grunts, cut up grunts. When they are high shrimp work, half sardine, cut grunt and squid. Certain times of the year they will kill a live bait and not eat it. Don't have a clue why but they have done that the 30 years that I have fished for them. The big one yesterday was on a live grunt.

broschro

Fat Mango! Nice Job is the boat sailing on a regular basis now? I will have to get up that way and fish with you soon

Newell Nut

Tuesday, Thursday and Sat when weather permits. May go to 5 days in the summer like last year.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 13, 2016, 10:47:34 AM
Quote from: MarkT on March 13, 2016, 02:42:35 AM

The mango is a bottom fish and the hardest one to catch. Very line shy and they like to play with bait before they eat it. In late spring and summer they can be caught higher in water and near the surface.
You will only catch a small one with a dropper loop. 40 lb fluorocarbon works good with a leader from 8 to 15 feet topped with a 6 oz egg sinker and the bait is sardine, squid, live grunts, cut up grunts. When they are high shrimp work, half sardine, cut grunt and squid. Certain times of the year they will kill a live bait and not eat it. Don't have a clue why but they have done that the 30 years that I have fished for them. The big one yesterday was on a live grunt.

Dwight; They are a lot like Black Fish (Tou Taug). They like to sample the offering before they commit, that's why there are so many swings and a miss. If I ever get to Florida I would like to try Mango Fishing.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."