Sea Fishing In Wales, annual video...

Started by Fish-aholic, March 27, 2016, 08:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

Thought I'd share a new compilation video I've just finished editing. I hope you enjoy something different from across the pond...

Steve ;)

cbar45

Thanks for sharing Steve, that's some pretty slick editing and a nice mullet towards the end!

I like the action of the rod shown at around the 1:40 mark, would you happen to know the manufacturer/blank on which it's built?

Chad

Zimbass

Great job on the photos and editing Steve. I hear that all Welsh people can play rugby and sing. Now I learnt that they are multi-talented !!

Thanks for sharing.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: cbar45 on March 27, 2016, 11:59:01 PM
Thanks for sharing Steve, that's some pretty slick editing and a nice mullet towards the end!

I like the action of the rod shown at around the 1:40 mark, would you happen to know the manufacturer/blank on which it's built?

Chad

Thanks, Chad! All edited through the free movie editor, windows movie maker 2.6.

I'm not sure how difficult the T L mullet are to catch abroad but UK ones need finesse tactics, ground baiting and a lot of patience. They are the most frustrating species to target and the most rewarding. I got friends who won't even entertain the idea of fishing for them.

This is how keen I am, the smaller mullet in the video (main pic before pressing play) took a 3 hour round trip on foot. I left the house about 4.30am, arrived at 6am, have a 4hr fishing window due to the river being tidal and luckily that adventure ended with target acquired. I have walked there and blanked and the walk back home is a heavy footed one. lol

Rod brand: Century
Model: CCCLD (triple C LD)

A link to the site with more information: http://www.centurysea.co.uk/sea-rods/c3-low-diameter/

Quote from: Zimbass on March 28, 2016, 06:33:02 AM
Great job on the photos and editing Steve. I hear that all Welsh people can play rugby and sing. Now I learnt that they are multi-talented !!

Thanks for sharing.

Terry.

Thanks, Terry!

Though I'm useless at both singing and rugby.

But here's my Welsh National Anthem passionately sung before the rugby kicks off. This is the only time I can sing  ;D 

Steve.

conchydong

Love to see fishing from other areas. My first wife was from Scotland and I spent quite a bit of time over there near Ayrshire. I always wanted to fish there but never had the opportunity. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Zimbass

Get goose bumps watching that Steve ! Watching the All Blacks Haka is even more of an adrenalin pump for me.

Cheers,

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

cbar45

Quote from: Fish-aholic on March 28, 2016, 11:28:02 PM
I'm not sure how difficult the T L mullet are to catch abroad but UK ones need finesse tactics, ground baiting and a lot of patience. They are the most frustrating species to target and the most rewarding. I got friends who won't even entertain the idea of fishing for them.

Steve, the mullet we have here in Hawaii are called 'Ama 'Ama and are of the common Striped (Flathead) species. I think they must have taken some tips from their UK relatives ;) as they can be extremely wary--testing the mettle of even the most patient finesse fisherman/woman. 'Ama 'Ama frequent brackish-water ponds and are typically caught on light spinning tackle using algae (or bread) for bait; salt-running schools are taken via throw (cast) net, with a legal eye minimum of 2" stretched mesh. Your average mullet runs about a pound or two as shown below, though I believe the state record is just under 5 lbs.

Here is an example of the mullet rig we use. Double hooks are swirled in a bucket of algae until enough of the fibrous bait is left clinging. The very sensitive floater is tied onto the line using an adjustable knot that allows the angler to slide the float up or down--depending how far above the bottom the fish are feeding. There is a park with a brackish-water pond in town where people go to catch mullet during open season; I use the place mainly as an area to test-cast guide layout, though I've caught a handful of mullet there over the years. I admire your dedication as mullet isn't my first choice when it comes to fishing..;)

Chad

PS
Thanks for the link and info regarding Century Rods. I'll have to look into it more as it appears a few US vendors do carry those blanks, (Stealth and Slingshot).

handi2

That's one of the best video's I've ever seen. I need to learn how to edit like that for our Gulf fishing videos.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Big Tim

Marcq

Very well done video 8) looks like squid was the bait of choice?

Marc..

Fish-aholic

Quote from: conchydong on March 29, 2016, 01:37:01 AMLove to see fishing from other areas. My first wife was from Scotland and I spent quite a bit of time over there near Ayrshire. I always wanted to fish there but never had the opportunity. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

I've not been to Scotland myself but I would love to venture up there for the common skate fishing but attempting one from the shore. One day I hope to have such an opportunity because I love my ray fishing.

Quote from: Zimbass on March 29, 2016, 09:27:39 AM
Get goose bumps watching that Steve ! Watching the All Blacks Haka is even more of an adrenalin pump for me.

Cheers,

Terry.

The haka is a mesmerising sight and so intimidating at the same time. A shame Wales always fall by the waist side when playing southern hemisphere teams. We do run you boys close, ahem, sometimes, but no cigar as they say.  :D   

Quote from: cbar45 on March 29, 2016, 09:02:30 PMSteve, the mullet we have here in Hawaii are called 'Ama 'Ama and are of the common Striped (Flathead) species. I think they must have taken some tips from their UK relatives ;) as they can be extremely wary--testing the mettle of even the most patient finesse fisherman/woman. 'Ama 'Ama frequent brackish-water ponds and are typically caught on light spinning tackle using algae (or bread) for bait; salt-running schools are taken via throw (cast) net, with a legal eye minimum of 2" stretched mesh. Your average mullet runs about a pound or two as shown below, though I believe the state record is just under 5 lbs.

Here is an example of the mullet rig we use. Double hooks are swirled in a bucket of algae until enough of the fibrous bait is left clinging. The very sensitive floater is tied onto the line using an adjustable knot that allows the angler to slide the float up or down--depending how far above the bottom the fish are feeding. There is a park with a brackish-water pond in town where people go to catch mullet during open season; I use the place mainly as an area to test-cast guide layout, though I've caught a handful of mullet there over the years. I admire your dedication as mullet isn't my first choice when it comes to fishing..;)

Chad

PS
Thanks for the link and info regarding Century Rods. I'll have to look into it more as it appears a few US vendors do carry those blanks, (Stealth and Slingshot).

Thanks for the informative insight, Chad.

We have three species of mullet in total; thick lipped mullet (can reach double figures, 4lb+ is regarded as a specimen), thin lipped mullet (a 4lb'er is the current record, 2lb'er a specimen) and golden grey mullet (close to 3lb is the record, 2lb a specimen). All require differing finesse tactics of free-lining, ledgering, float fishing and mepps spinners. The spinners have the treble hooks removed in favour of a single hook arrangement as per your pic. This is so we can thread mud ragworm on to trail behind a slow retrieved spinner. I will be trying this out this year to try something different. 

I will have to remember to film the mullet shoals heading up river with the rising tide height. It's a wonderful sight seeing that many fish schooled together in a narrow river.

In regard to dedication; unfortunately we haven't got the luxury of having hard fighting sea fish here in the UK, most of our gear has to accommodate the terrain, vast tidal heights and extreme currents, so there's not much sport to be had on the beachcasting outfits for the species targeted. Mullet fishing on the other hand is regarded here as the closest thing to bone fishing as we're going to get. Pound for pound they are worth the frustration, after all, I haven't got much hair left to pull out anyway.  ;D

Quote from: handi2 on March 29, 2016, 11:55:19 PM
That's one of the best video's I've ever seen. I need to learn how to edit like that for our Gulf fishing videos.

Thanks, Keith. You can make videos through YouTube if that's any help?

Quote from: Big Tim on March 30, 2016, 01:25:55 AM
Steve, extremely cool video.

BT

Thanks, Big Tim!

Quote from: Marcq on March 30, 2016, 01:34:58 AM
Very well done video 8) looks like squid was the bait of choice?

Marc..

Thanks, Marc!

It was the bait of choice for my friend on that sunny day session, but I wasn't so lucky. :-\ During an outing we use a collection of frozen baits such as sandeels, squid, mackerel, pacific saury when specifically targeting species of rays. These baits can all be cocktailed to increase scent trails. We also use spools of bait elastic to bind baits together and this helps greatly to keep the bait compact for presentation, distance casting and to keep the crabs at bay. Us Welsh loves our bait elastic.  ;D

Steve.