500, 500L, 500-LH, 500L-LH Jigmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Since the photobucket pictures are gone from this thread, can someone please tell me which box is correct for a first year Jigmaster 500?. Ive seen two styles, one with the surf fisherman and one with the boat fisherman. Both priced at $17.50
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

The one I have is the surf fisherman with a 1st year jigmaster with the sticker
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

QuoteSince the photobucket pictures are gone from this thread, can someone please tell me which box is correct for a first year Jigmaster 500?. Ive seen two styles, one with the surf fisherman and one with the boat fisherman. Both priced at $17.50

I have never seen a Jigmaster with the boat scene. That is a 1957 box and the Jigmaster was not introduced until 1959. But I guess they could be some out there. I have only seen two boxes for the first year Jigmaster. The 500 and the 500M.
The 500M was only offered with one spool. That brought the price of the 500M a bit lower.

1badf350

Mike thanks for that info. Here is my Jigmaster 500 box with boat scene. I also have one with the fisherman scene and always thought the fisherman scene pre-dated the boat scene.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

milne

Hi Chris, that box and reel looks like there in pretty good condition too.
Nice score.

Col

nelz

Interesting that even the plastic spool boxes say "For use with monofilament".

mo65

Quote from: nelz on December 12, 2018, 02:23:42 PM
Interesting that even the plastic spool boxes say "For use with monofilament".

I think in those early days of mono use they hadn't yet discovered how to implode a plastic spool.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere is my Jigmaster 500 box with boat scene. I also have one with the fisherman scene and always thought the fisherman scene pre-dated the boat scene.

This is the only one I have seen. do not have answers for why this exists. Catalog introduction of the Jigmaster is 1959. The boat scene on Penn boxes started in 1957, so I guess that printed scene is also being used for a few years. It is odd to see it on a jigmaster box.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

1badf350

I'd sure like to know if anyone has another one.
-Chris

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 12, 2018, 06:41:53 PM
QuoteHere is my Jigmaster 500 box with boat scene. I also have one with the fisherman scene and always thought the fisherman scene pre-dated the boat scene.

This is the only one I have seen. do not have answers for why this exists. Catalog introduction of the Jigmaster is 1959. The boat scene on Penn boxes started in 1957, so I guess that printed scene is also being used for a few years. It is odd to see it on a jigmaster box.
But being a first year Jigmaster this is making sense, it was a limited box at the very beginning of the introduction of the Jigmaster that was quickly redesigned and replaced. Believable. Stranger things have happened.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

So Im still confused about one thing. The boat scene came out in 1957. Did it continue thru 1959? Was it used for all model Penns? Im wondering how all the other Jigmaster boxes have Surf Fisherman if he was replaced by the boat fisherman in 1957. Unless the boat scene was only used for certain models and the surf fisherman scene existed at the same time.
-Chris

Maxed Out

Looks like your label is an oddball of the first year version

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AC49

Quote from: 1badf350 on January 21, 2019, 09:51:53 PM
So Im still confused about one thing. The boat scene came out in 1957. Did it continue thru 1959? Was it used for all model Penns? Im wondering how all the other Jigmaster boxes have Surf Fisherman if he was replaced by the boat fisherman in 1957. Unless the boat scene was only used for certain models and the surf fisherman scene existed at the same time.

Following this with interest ....

Regards
AC49

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo Im still confused about one thing. The boat scene came out in 1957. Did it continue thru 1959? Was it used for all model Penns? Im wondering how all the other Jigmaster boxes have Surf Fisherman if he was replaced by the boat fisherman in 1957. Unless the boat scene was only used for certain models and the surf fisherman scene existed at the same time.

The Jigmaster was not introduced until 1959, so the boat scene is unusual for a Jigmaster. But the early 1959 Jigmaster technically does not exist. It was not a catalog offering until 1960, if I remember right. The boat scene I have seen on mostly high end Penn reels like the Senators but I am sure Penn spread it around, so saying it is only used for one type of reel would not be correct. Penn never made anything that easy.