60, 60-LH Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 06, 2016, 06:04:11 PM
I'm not convinced these speckled tail plates were "replacements" of the originals. I've had a handful of mottled tail plate penns and the patina on the tail plate has always matched the rest of the reel, suggesting it came new with those same plates. Those were tough times and Penn was known for using every part they produced, even if it meant sweeping the floor to have enough to mold the last few plates for each day.

I like what you are saying, Ted.  Certainly you, Michael, and Sid know more about Penn than I'll ever know.  The condition of the plates and chrome parts appear to be the same, as if they have always been together since leaving the factory. 
George

Long Live the Long Beach!
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Quote from: George4741 on July 07, 2016, 03:16:38 AM

Certainly you, Michael, and Sid know more about Penn than I'll ever know. 
George

There is a mistake here. My name does not belong in this sentence. I'm just starting out.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on July 08, 2016, 01:10:58 AM
Quote from: George4741 on July 07, 2016, 03:16:38 AM

Certainly you, Michael, and Sid know more about Penn than I'll ever know. 
George

There is a mistake here. My name does not belong in this sentence. I'm just starting out.

Sid

Don't under estimate yourself Sid, you have absorbed lifetimes of information in a short time and deserve to be mentioned... Having said that,  I'd say I don't belong there either. Mike, Ray, and Brian in one sentence for sure.....the rest of us aren't even in the same chapter.  :D :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteDon't under estimate yourself Sid, you have absorbed lifetimes of information in a short time and deserve to be mentioned... Having said that,  I'd say I don't belong there either. Mike, Ray, and Brian in one sentence for sure.....the rest of us aren't even in the same chapter.  Cheesy Cheesy

It is not a contest, we are all on the same page. Our world is small and we all need each other for it to exist.

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 08, 2016, 01:25:38 AM
Don't under estimate yourself Sid, you have absorbed lifetimes of information in a short time and deserve to be mentioned... Having said that,  I'd say I don't belong there either. Mike, Ray, and Brian in one sentence for sure.....the rest of us aren't even in the same chapter.  :D :D
Thanks, Ted. If I don't keep my ego in check it rapidly grows unacceptably large. That being said, I do still feel like a newcomer with relatively little knowledge, and I'm glad to be here to learn.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

... Just another oddball long beach 60.

This one is 1951/52, with earliest version of new style sideplates. Not sure why the steel bridge, and the blue swirled knob is another bonus !!

Ted

Alto Mare

First time I see a blue knob, very nice Ted.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 06, 2016, 01:02:33 AM
First time I see a blue knob, very nice Ted.

First for me too Sal

Strangely it has 24-60 part#, which was never in any catalog. It should be 24-155  ;D

Shark Hunter

You never cease to amaze us Ted.
That is one crazy cool Long Beach.
Whether you want to admit it or not. You have a gift. ;)
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Nice reel Ted.

I have seen blue handle knobs on smaller reels. Not common at all on the larger reels.

mo65

So they DO exist! I've been waiting for years to see a blue torpedo knob surface...gotta find me one too!!! :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 06, 2016, 02:01:24 AM
  Strangely it has 24-60 part#, which was never in any catalog. It should be 24-155  ;D

This is the part number I asked about in the handle thread...the one nobody really had an answer about. Not only a super rare Torpedo color...but also on an "off the books" handle...cool! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteStrangely it has 24-60 part#, which was never in any catalog. It should be 24-155  Grin

Great question!!! In 1949 and 1950, when the Penn part numbering system actually had its first year in the catalogs, the Part Number used for the Penn Squidder and the Penn Beach Master handle was 24-60,, not 24-155. The part number 24-60 was retired in 1951 and changed to 24-155.

You have a extremely hard to find handle!

oc1

The blue plastic pigments of the day were not very stable and tended to turn greenish.
-steve

49Freak

Quote from: oc1 on October 06, 2016, 07:53:02 PM
The blue plastic pigments of the day were not very stable and tended to turn greenish.
-steve

Hi Steve,
  Is that due to sun exposure or does it eventually just happen with time?

John