60, 60-LH Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I think it happens with sun exposure John, but I'm no expert.
-steve

49Freak

Okay, thanks Steve. That'd be a good reason for me to keep that one in the house.  ;)

Maxed Out

Quote from: oc1 on October 10, 2016, 07:53:31 PM
I think it happens with sun exposure John, but I'm no expert.
-steve

Well Steve, perhaps that is why this blue knob isn't faded !!  The reel came from original owners' next of kin and was in original box and had not seen light of day since 1952.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Thinking about it.... the blue on bakelite billiard balls discolors too.  Not too much sunlight in a pool hall.  So, maybe it not just sunlight but any light.
-steve

sdlehr

Quote from: 49Freak on October 10, 2016, 06:57:18 PM
Hi Steve,
 Is that due to sun exposure or does it eventually just happen with time?

John
I think the degradation will occur on its own, but is accelerated by light exposure. Ted, you should put some sunscreen on your handle!!! :) (Just kidding, it might not help and might actually cause problems. I wonder if stuff in cigarette smoke can cause a blue billiard ball to fade.... because cigarette smoke is full of free radicals and other nasty reactive things.....

Sid

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

A recent addition to my 1940's Long Beach 60 family is one with a very uncommon clamp seat(far left). How rare are the lb60 clamp seats ?? I've seen about a half dozen in the last 15 years....out of literally tens of thousands of lb60 reels. It is my humble opinion that the Long beach 60 clamp seat was discontinued shortly after it arrived in '41. The long beach 60 cost $6.50 in 1941. Clamp seat option was extra $2, bringing it up to $8.50, making the cost unacceptable for many. That same year a long beach 66 was $8, add $2 clamp seat and it was $10 total. A lot more reel for the money.

Tightlines667

Ted,

Great grouping there! 

I am pretty sure you have even more early LBs.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteA recent addition to my 1940's Long Beach 60 family is one with a very uncommon clamp seat(far left). How rare are the lb60 clamp seats ?? I've seen about a half dozen in the last 15 years....out of literally tens of thousands of lb60 reels. It is my humble opinion that the Long beach 60 clamp seat was discontinued shortly after it arrived in '41. The long beach 60 cost $6.50 in 1941. Clamp seat option was extra $2, bringing it up to $8.50, making the cost unacceptable for many. That same year a long beach 66 was $8, add $2 clamp seat and it was $10 total. A lot more reel for the money.

Over the years, the Long Beach 60 with a rod clamp stand is something I never placed into a rare or even hard to find category. The stand was optionally available in the accessories section of the Penn catalogs from 1941 to 1948 (those years are inclusive). I am fairly positive that these stands were not being made during the war; but for two years before and three years after there were in production, or at least they were available in the catalogs.
                  Probably, most customers added these to their Long Beach reels long after they purchased the reel, adding it only because they felt the need or they wanted to tank the reel a bit. So, they are a nice add on for the Long Beach; but, not a rarity.

mo65

Beautiful stable of 60's Ted! :o I've been watching hundreds of Long Beaches sell on fleabay the past 6 months...I've seen exactly one...ONE LB60 clamp stand. Glad I already have one! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 05, 2017, 12:05:32 AM
QuoteA recent addition to my 1940's Long Beach 60 family is one with a very uncommon clamp seat(far left). How rare are the lb60 clamp seats ?? I've seen about a half dozen in the last 15 years....out of literally tens of thousands of lb60 reels. It is my humble opinion that the Long beach 60 clamp seat was discontinued shortly after it arrived in '41. The long beach 60 cost $6.50 in 1941. Clamp seat option was extra $2, bringing it up to $8.50, making the cost unacceptable for many. That same year a long beach 66 was $8, add $2 clamp seat and it was $10 total. A lot more reel for the money.

Over the years, the Long Beach 60 with a rod clamp stand is something I never placed into a rare or even hard to find category. The stand was optionally available in the accessories section of the Penn catalogs from 1941 to 1948 (those years are inclusive). I am fairly positive that these stands were not being made during the war; but for two years before and three years after there were in production, or at least they were available in the catalogs.
                  Probably, most customers added these to their Long Beach reels long after they purchased the reel, adding it only because they felt the need or they wanted to tank the reel a bit. So, they are a nice add on for the Long Beach; but, not a rarity.

Let's put this in todays money.

If you just bought a reel for $650.00 then found out a clamp seat was $200 more, I doubt you'd opt for it. The lb60 clamp seat only fit a few reels, which were all the more affordable models. Del mar, long beach, Seagate. So few were sold that discontinuing it was a no brainer. The long beach has always been my favorite reel, and 40's era my target subject for many years......yes, I'd call a lb60 clamp seat rare, but that's just me and my experience from my attachment to this particular model.

If anyone else has a long beach 60 with clamp seat I would love to see it. I know of a couple members with one.

-Ted

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on February 05, 2017, 01:00:11 AM
If anyone else has a long beach 60 with clamp seat I would love to see it. I know of a couple members with one.

I just posted mine on the "show off your LB" thread a few days ago...but here it is again.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

This is my long beach 60 with a rod clamp........maybe not what you wanted to see though  ::)

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Maxed Out

Pretty sure Mo and Goerge are holding out on us......it's been too long since they showed their latest lb60's. Let's see if I can stir the pot a bit  ;D ;D

Ted

Gfish

Pristine LB 60. Possibly 1960's? If I remember right, it had leather drag washers when I "Tanizied" it. Definitely part numbers.
Ted here's zat "uncommon clamp seat" from another LB 60(1940's vintage). Wanna trade for onea your cool Alum. free spool levers? If so, please PM. The white thingies are protective plastic acorn nuts.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

coastal_dan

That white spool is interesting Ted, nice little grouping.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...