60, 60-LH Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

You did good on THAT deal, Mike :o !   These "hodge podge" buys are something I enjoy , as well......upside is the "fun" of seeing just what "treasures'(if any  ::)) that you found, and the downside is figuring out what to do with all the "also rans" in the box :D>  .  Most of the "run of the mill" stuff.....cheap spinners, and spin casters...get lubed, new line installed, and given to the kids who walk by on their way to the river. I figure any kid heading that way (we live just across the street from the Rock River, in Northern Illinois)is a prime candidate for a " Hey kid...Want a reel?", especially if they are carrying a fish pole !  I've learned that the ones looking at their "game boy", or cell phone, usually say, "No !" ???.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

The only LB with Maroon plates I received was for about $30 a few months ago.  It was so far gone I wasn't able to save it.  I turned the head plate logo into a necklace charm. 
The head plate was broken and super swollen to the point I had to break the plate more to salvage the rings. 
Ray had one heck of a keen eye to go along with his immense amount of knowledge. 
Mike and Ray made one heck of a team to say the least,
Dom
PS- Col, a 170 in the bunch would sure make me a happy man.  Even though I have a couple myself they are tough finds. Nice treasure hunt!

Crow

The LB 60 came today....and it does have the "drilled stand". Not sure of the "date" of the reel, but it's "all there, except for the spool. Should mke a good project !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Penn Chronology

QuoteRay had one heck of a keen eye to go along with his immense amount of knowledge. 
Mike and Ray made one heck of a team to say the least,
Dom

Thank you Dom. Nothing has been the same for me since the passing of Ray. All is in transition.

The reel Ray alerted me to in that bunch was a 1933 Bayside. I really do not know how many exist. I feel we are talking in single digits. That is the kind of partnership Ray and I had. He could have easily not mentioned that bundle to me and bought it himself, but, he did not do that. He made me aware of it. We always were watching out for each other. He left a big hole.

broadway

Duh, sorry for the incorrect model. I'm not used to looking at maroon baysides.  They are super tough finds. I had an opportunity to own one in the box but it didn't work out.  Sad story to say the least.
Ray, was a hell of a guy who made every collector better at hunting rare reels. He pointed out a first gen 10/0 that was like $300 on a BIN on Aussie Ebay.  He could've added that to his amazing collection but he passed on the deal to me. It was one of two first gens I was searching for, for quite a while.
I can't imagine your pain because I think of him so often it's not even funny.
I do love the fact that I can visit his old posts. Makes me feel like he's still here kinda.
Thanks for opening my eyes,
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for opening my eyes,

I did not open your eyes. Ray did. You always knew what he brought to the table.

Crow

I've a question....was there ever a plastic spool made for the LB 60 ? Or, is there another "plastic spool" that will fit ?

broadway

Yes, there was a plastic spool made for the LB60, also the sea gate which will fit the LB.
Dom

mo65

Quote from: Crow on October 21, 2019, 02:40:29 PM
    I've a question....was there ever a plastic spool made for the LB 60 ? Or, is there another "plastic spool" that will fit ?

Quote from: broadway on October 21, 2019, 03:53:10 PM
Yes, there was a plastic spool made for the LB60, also the sea gate which will fit the LB.
Dom

Don't forget all those 85s and 285 Delmars out there...they'll fit too. I checked my stock and I have three plastic LB 60 size spools, but they are all newer spools. The period correct spool will have little "shoulders" on the arbor like the one in this photo. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

broadway

Good point, Mo.  I was just thinking era correct, but you're 100% correct about the arbors and fitment.
Also, nice to put a photo to the topic so others know.
Good onya,
Dom

Crow

mo65

Quote from: broadway on October 21, 2019, 06:48:13 PM
Nice to put a photo to the topic so others know.
Good onya,
Dom

Thanks Dom!

Quote from: Crow on October 21, 2019, 07:03:00 PM
Thanks, guys !

You're welcome!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: Crow on October 21, 2019, 02:40:29 PM

I'll add by answering the first half of this question, since Mo answered the 2nd half....

The lb60 came stock with plastic spool for part of 1941 on thru 1947. The pre war spool had the arbor lip, the spools after the war had rounded contour from arbor to flange. During these years a metal spool was available as an upgrade option $$$
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

I should say you got the answer to your question in full now... Ted is a Long Beach expert, and Mo is on top of his game.
Best,
Dom