Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on April 20, 2019, 10:09:19 PM
Quote from: mo65 on April 20, 2019, 09:57:03 PM
   I love the 259, great work Darin!
Thanks, Mike! I bet these low gear models would be good for your river fishing? Didn't you post one with a 99 Tib frame?

You betcha Darin. So far, the #5-60 gearing seems to be the best for catfishing, plenty of torque but not too slow. Felt handle pressure seems easier to crank under load. Here's the link to that 259/99 reel...one of my most favorites. 8)

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20574.0
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteDarin
That reel has a 3 screw base 99 width Newell base?
That's cool.
Ron Jones

I believe the Newell 99 width base was actually designed for converting a Jigmaster ( not a Model 259) to a 99 width. That said, the base is a two screw Jigmaster hole pattern and will also work on a Live Bait Caster #259. Here are a couple of Jigmasters I built a very long time ago, the picture is also very old. The reel on the left is a Jigmaster with a 99 Newell kit, reel on the right has a standard width Jigmaster 500 Newell Kit. These kits have been around for many years. The spool of my 99 width Jigmaster is a Accurate spool. The handle of the reel on the right is a tough find today, it is called a Nitro-Fish handle. I have not seen one in many years. Both these reels are still in my collection.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 22, 2019, 05:48:11 AM
QuoteDarin
That reel has a 3 screw base 99 width Newell base?
That's cool.
Ron Jones

I believe the Newell 99 width base was actually designed for converting a Jigmaster ( not a Model 259) to a 99 width. That said, the base is a two screw Jigmaster hole pattern and will also work on a Live Bait Caster #259. Here are a couple of Jigmasters I built a very long time ago, the picture is also very old. The reel on the left is a Jigmaster with a 99 Newell kit, reel on the right has a standard width Jigmaster 500 Newell Kit. These kits have been around for many years. The spool of my 99 width Jigmaster is a Accurate spool. The handle of the reel on the right is a tough find today, it is called a Nitro-Fish handle. I have not seen one in many years. Both these reels are still in my collection.
So great seeing this old pic from years ago, thanks for sharing, Michael, and I dig that black Nitro handle for sure!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

WDill

First 259 on left has no part numbers on anything, the right one has part numbers but an unusual handle, its the same size as a 4/0 24-66 but no part numbers and a very football shaped grip. Is this what an early 24-66 looks like? Never have seen one quite like it. The one middle  I picked up at a flea market today and it has a numbered 24-155 handle which I assume is the correct one. Matches the early no part numbered one on the left as far as size goes.
Wish I were fishing

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

WDill

Thanks, at first they seemed rare, but now I seem to trip over them. Love the side plate. Much nicer than the plain 1/0s.
Wish I were fishing

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

WDill

Thanks, probably a very small collection compared to most on this site. But I have caught the bug. No telling where it will end.
Wish I were fishing

foakes

Very good collection!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.