Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Got it Joe and it's the right one! Good guess. Attaboy!!!
So far I put in: a ss sleeve(98-505) 2nd gen.,right side of 1st pic.; a 30-113 stand(6 screws insteda only 4); a 5+1 drag stack;  13-500 pinion(jigmaster size for 3.5:1 ratio as per Sal's build on a diffrent thread); got ridda the plastic spool(29-250L) in favor of a Jiggy-29-250 metal one, and I added one post to strengthen the frame(total=5).  Hadta drill 4 new screw holes for the bigger stand(2 on each side) and 2 for the new post. Put it all together and it works as good as before I started messin with it. Got an unused screw hole to fill on each side plate, a double dog to add, and godda find a bigger handle(24-155=too small). More when I finish it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

Looks great !   How are you filling the "empty" screw holes ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on November 07, 2017, 06:38:18 AM
Got it Joe and it's the right one! Good guess. Attaboy!!!
So far its godda ss sleeve(98-505) right side of 1st pic., a 30-113 stand(6 screws insteda only 4), a 5+1 stack, a 13-500 pinion(jigmaster size for 3.5:1 ratio as per Sal's build), got ridda the plastic spool in favor of a Jiggy-29-250 metal one, and I added one post to strengthen the frame(total=5).  Hadta drill 4 new screw holes for the bigger stand and 2 for the new post. Put it all together and it works as good as before I started messin with it. Got an unused screw hole to fill on each side plate, a double dog to add, and godda find a bigger handle(24-155=too small). More when I finish it.

Glad the bridge worked out, Gregg.  The flies are great!  

Could you show some more detailed photos of the drilling you did for the stand, and the additional post?  

That 24-155 handle is sweet looking.   I'd trade you something for it.  

Would a 30-113 stand fit a 99 Silverbeach?  It also has six screws.

mo65

She's coming together real nice Greg! 8)

Quote from: Decker on November 07, 2017, 02:11:13 PM
Would a 30-113 stand fit a 99 Silverbeach?  It also has six screws.

Ya know...Ted and I talked about this on another thread and I completely forget the answer...sheesh...help Ted!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on November 07, 2017, 02:33:27 PM
  She's coming together real nice Greg! 8)

Quote from: Decker on November 07, 2017, 02:11:13 PM
Would a 30-113 stand fit a 99 Silverbeach?  It also has six screws.

Ya know...Ted and I talked about this on another thread and I completely forget the answer...sheesh...help Ted!

Hey Decker & Mo,

The answer is no, a 113 seat will not fit a 99 reel. The screw holes do not line up....

......the 112 seat will fit a 99 reel
.....a 112 seat and jigmaster 500 spool will widen your silver beach 99.

Here is a 112 3/0 and a silver beach 99 with a 112 seat and jigmaster 500 spool

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Yeah, what Ted said. Unless you wanna do some drillin, and I don't recommend it, unless you godda drill press ana good jig to hold the parts & line up everything. I hadda do some key-hole filing on a couple a my holes and it's stilla tight assembly/fit.
R= the existing(regular) factory holes, N= the new holes I drilled. You may be able to tell, the reel's been turned on it's axis(down in the front) and the top(extra) post put forward slightly of what woulda been the centerline, for my needs. So, for the new stand, I hada drill 2 holes on each side plate, used one existing hole on each side plate, and  need ta fill one existing unused hole one each side plate. To plug the holes, I'm Thinkin epoxy for the bakelite plate, witha cut-off screw glued to the outside ring. Since there'll be no saltwater ingress to the inner chamber, leave it like that. What's a good metal to metal glue?

Didn't wanna spend the money on a good aftermarket frame/stand/spool, which woulda been eaiser/better/stronger, so I could spend it on another project. Love these older Penns. Is it considered desecration---drillin holes and addin stuff to the outside?
Joe the handle/knob is yours. No needa trade. Nice knob, huh, and remember, as Freud'd probably say: "sometimes a knob is only a knob".
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

.....I was able to narrow a 113 4/0 with just a slight bit of engineering, but you wouldn't know by looking. Best part is it's still 100% factory original parts......it's now a 99 width 4/0  ;D  ;D

Ted

RowdyW

Ted, isn't that with LB 66 parts?             Rudy

thorhammer

Quote from: Gfish on November 07, 2017, 08:15:25 PM
Yeah, what Ted said. Unless you wanna do some drillin and I don't recommend it, unless you godda drill press ana good jig to hold & line up everything. I hadda do some key-hole filing on a couple a my holes and it's stilla tight assembly/fit.
R= the existing(regular) factory holes, N= the new holes I drilled. You may be able to tell, the reel's been turned on it's axis(down in the front) and the top(extra) post put forward slightly of what woulda been the centerline, for my needs. So for the new stand, I hada drill 2 holes, used one existing hole, and  need ta fill one existing unused hole. Thinkin epoxy for the bakelite plate, witha cut off screw glued to the outside ring. Since there'll be no saltwater ingress to the inner chamber, leave it like that. What's a good metal to metal glue?

Didn't wanna spend the money on a good aftermarket frame/stand/spool, which woulda been eaiser/better/stronger, so I could spend it on another project. Love these older Penns. Is it considered desecration---drillin holes and addin stuff to the outside?
Joe the handle/knob is yours. No needa trade. Nice knob, huh, and remember as Freud'd say: "sometimes a knob is only a knob.
Gfish
[/quote

Greg five minute epoxy should it

Maxed Out

Quote from: RowdyW on November 08, 2017, 12:58:50 AM
Ted, isn't that with LB 66 parts?             Rudy

The spool is a 66, but nothing else came from a 66

RowdyW

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 08, 2017, 02:09:39 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on November 08, 2017, 12:58:50 AM
Ted, isn't that with LB 66 parts?             Rudy

The spool is a 66, but nothing else came from a 66
65 posts?.... same as 66.

Decker

Hey Greg, thanks for the details. Nice little project.  You're gonna give me that green handle?  Thanks, brother!! Do you need some bars?

Ted, thanks for the red-lettered schooling :o I promise to study my Penn parts cross-reference before posting another franken-reel question :P

My 259 should be next... Gotta come up with something original   ???

Gfish

Quote from: Decker on November 08, 2017, 02:36:30 AM
Hey Greg, thanks for the details. Nice little project.  You're gonna give me that green handle? I think that one was turned by the knob lady that Ted is so fond of ::).  Thanks, brother!! Do you need some bars?

Ted, thanks for the red-lettered schooling :o I promise to study my Penn parts cross-reference before posting another franken-reel question :P

My 259 should be next... Gotta come up with something original  ???p

Handle/knob in the mail. I'mna keep the posts to keep it somewhat original lookin on the outside. It seems to weigh half again as much as it originally did, now with 5 posts and the bigger stand, a metal spool(vs the original plastic one), and should be a little more heavy when I get done. Heavy=good.

Gfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 07, 2017, 10:55:57 PM
.....I was able to narrow a 113 4/0 with just a slight bit of engineering, but you wouldn't know by looking. Best part is it's still 100% factory original parts......it's now a 99 width 4/0  ;D  ;D

Ted

What's the stand size/part #?
Gfish

Gfish

The "almost final" product. Including the d. dog(alternating) and the "A Squared" cast control bushing. Gotta stronger, heavier 259 Live Bait Caster that I feel more confident fishin with, usin up to about 15lbs. a drag.

Really surprised that every thing still works well after these mods.:milling the head plate fora 2nd dog; 6 new screw holes fora extra frame post & 3-screw 113-4/0 stand; ss 2nd gen. gear sleeve, 3-99 bridge plate with a fatter stud; 5+1 drag stack; the above mentioned bushing and a Pro Challenger EVA knob ona position-adjustable handle, the orgins of which I've forgotten. So I got a stronger framed, higher torque(3.5:1 vs 4:1 gear ratio) version of a Jig Master, with a smoother drag and more functional handle with very little back -play, AND BUILDIN IT WAS FUN!

So cool to be on this forum where smart/skilled people innovate and improve stuff, then I can come along and copy their creativity.
Gfish